valaikappu function

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by monu1984, Mar 3, 2010.

1. monu1984

monu1984 New IL'ite

hi friends....
    can anybdy tell me the about the valaikappu function...how it is done.....
    i am frm kerala and my hubby is half tamilian....my valaikappu function will be done on cuming sunday.....i really dont knw wat all things will be done.....
    i want to know wat my mother shud do...i mean if she is supposed to bring any present....and wat are the arrangements done.....

waiting for ur valuable suggestions
    bye take care
    monu

2. Gitunandakumar

Gitunandakumar Bronze IL'ite

Hi Monu,

Main function details: You need to get 3 dozens of bangles (glass bangles), your mother can present anything like gold bangle(if she wishes-optional).

Keep some fruits in a plate, some chocolates in one plate, sandlewood in a bowl and kungumam (red powder we use to keep in head).

In the Function: The elder person in the family apply little sandle in your face, hand and keep kungumam in your head and put 2 bangles in your hand and give their gift. you can get blessing from them. This is how function goes.

It depends on caste to caste - some wear their wedding saree on that day, some wear new saree.

Hope I have helped you something and others might help you more. My best wishes and safe delivery :thumbsup.

3. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

So nice to hear that you are going to celebrate Vallaikappu. I wish I can attend.

If you don't get glass bangles ( traditional), you can go for metal. One hand should have odd number and other one is even number of bangles.

In our community, the girl gets black sari ( for evil eye) form her mother.

You invite few friends. It is mainly ladies function. But over here, men are included too.

Have a wonderful celebration.

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Latha or anyone with some info on this,

I am the sister in law of the mother-to-be. Since we don't live in India Seemantham/valigappu cannot be performed in parental home, which is in India. My husband and I do not want my SIL to miss out on anything and so we wanted to do seemantham/valigappu at our home.
    Her mom is coming from India but not 100% sure of the date yet. We want to make sure that we don't wait till 9th month because of the late pregnancy. So we were thinking about 8th month.

I am going to make sure that i buy everything for my sister in law, but i did not understand what exactly are the below:

1. Allam Mottu
    2. Mulampandri stick
    3. neem kaapu...is it made of neem leaves?

Also, can someone please tell me how many verities of sweets shaould I make? I was told that I need to make 7 or 9 verities of rice as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks ladies! I greatly appreciate your inputs!

6. VIDYA912

VIDYA912 New IL'ite

hi..

i just wanted to know is it necessary to wear 10-12 bangles.. can't i wear 6 or 7 which are even and odd. plz help im confused...

7. VIDYA912

VIDYA912 New IL'ite

hi..

i just wanted to know is it necessary to wear 10-12 bangles.. can't i wear 6 or 7 which are even and odd. plz help im confused....

8. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Valikappu is a function, which announces all that, our DIL or we will have a heir soon, So please bless her and her child.

You already hear about the Positive rays and Negative rays.

When pregnancy moves to a certain phase, every woman must afraid little bit. For that, Old people who have more than 3 children will put bangles in our hands and says, "i have these much children, all are normal delivery. So don't worry, Keep your pregnancy happy" Like that.

They put Neem bangle to avoid infections.

As well as pregnant woman can see many ladies who have many child and happy about that plus she gain positive confident.

Bangles:-

In old days we wear hand full of glass bangles.
    1. In scientific, Baby in womb will hear things outside from 20 weeks.
    If it starts to observe sound, it will good for its hearing habit.
    Some babies will move based on sounds.
    2. Then the sound will remain the pregnancy ladies about the positive Thoughts.

3. There is one more myth, if we have bad eye sights, That will affect bangles. So that bangles will broke.

I do all works with hand full of bangles till my delivery. My Bangles were removed at hospital only. When i needs to check my baby movements if i don't feel for minutes, I just shake my hands near my stomach. Immediately i felt him.

So try to wear bangles as much as possible, It is good for baby.

9. jayabalu

jayabalu New IL'ite

10. jayabalu

jayabalu New IL'ite

hello ladies good evening i need the correct procedure for valaikappu and seemandam of tanjore iyer style please can someone help me thanks in anticipation with regards