1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vajpayee Myth And Reality

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Of course it is quite rude to speak ill of the dead. But it is equally bad to stay idle and watch a man being turned into myth—undeservingly.

Take the case oif Atal Behari Vajpayee, The minute he died at the age of 93 yesterday, the myth builders took over showering encomiums in the late former prime minister.. I watched news channel after news channel but none tried to separate grains from chaff.

True 0the man was a great orator but let us come to that later. He has also been hailed as a great poet , I cannot comment on that as I have not read any of his verses. But what gets my goat is the media’s failure to look at him with a critical eye.

True you may say this is not the tim when his body is yet to be cremated but in that case pleas at least show some restraint in your praises at least.

He has been described as “liberal” “ Tolernt” and an inclusivist prime minister who took everybody along.. The present incumbent has been compared unfavourably with him. But is there much difference between Modi, and Vajpayee ideologically? The difference is nly in the circumstances.

Vajpayee as the prime minister had the unenviable task of leading a 24 party coalition managing volatile leaders like Mamata Bannerjee and Jayalalitha. While hs beliefs were no different from that of his fellow RSS colleague Modi, he was frced by political compulsions to be liberal and inclusivist.

Most of the parties except BJHP, Shiv Sena and perhaps Akali Dal, prided themselves on being secular and many enjoyed the support of minority communities and would not allow anything that would alienate their vote banks. They formed a sort of security ring that prevented the implementation of RSS’ divisive anti-minority policiesBut it did not mean that attempts were not made

Take my daughters’ schoolbooks that were rewritten during Vjpayee period. Her science book for instance, declared that atoms were discovered by Vedic Indians, by a sage called Kanad. Similar rubbish was also found in the social sciences book. (I still preserve the two books).

The Gujarat riots took place during Vjpayee’s tenure. And his reaction was “The state government must follow Rajdharma”. Tjos has been flaunted as an advice to the then Gujart CM, Narendra Mo.di to get his act together and Vajpayee has been much praised for it . But unfortunately the full statement has been ignored. After explaining “Rajdharma” meant treating all citizens equally regardless of caste and creed Vajpayee added: I am sure Narendrabhai is following the Rajdharma”.

To make such a statement he must have been deaf nd blind. Ignorant of the horrific violence during the post-Godhra riots in Gujarat with the state watching it either as a mute spectator or tacitly aiding the saffron rioters.

The first time I heard of Vajpayee was when I ws in school when there wer3 massive protests by the then Jan Sangh party against cow slaughter. Vajpayee made brilliant speeches that instead of calming the protestors indflamed them and they ran riot leading to some .leaders were rightly arrested and locked up.

That is what his oratory did. It was powerful but was it used for good? No. Even Josef Goebbels oratory was powerful but no one created a myth around Hitler’s propaganda minister.

During the Ram Janam Bhoomi agitation Vajpoayee made many rousing speeches in support of demolishing babri Masjid and building a Ram Temple there. When the Babri Masjid was demolished he changed tack and said it was unfortunate blaming it on a section of Kar Sevakdss (Volunteers) who went out of control. “Who was he fooling.? Senior leaders oif his party were egging on the volunteers yelling “Ek Dhakka aur do” (Give one more push) to demolish the mosque.

The nuclear test at Pokhran is hailed as a Vajpayee achievement. But neither Indira Gandhi’s Pokhran I nor Vajpayee’s Pokhran II brought in any tangible benefits. The most absurd thing in the world is becoming a nuclear power being saddled with weapons you can’t use.

If you weigh the pluses and minuses there are more minuses as far as Atal Behari Vjpayee i9s concerned. Sorry Atal fans.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I laud your clear and courageous post here and salute you for calling a spade a spade @Balajee .

Viswamitra and NeetaR like this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Rip vajpayee ...

Kudos balaji ... Well written... FACTS matter

Differ on nuclear power as it does
    Matter but it is not
    One govt achievement , it is continuous investment and involvement which enables country towards achieving it's goals

kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  4. boby

boby Silver IL'ite

Dare you to bring out the facts about karunanidhi who died last week and was given a resting place in Marina with state honors like a martyr. Post such true facts about karunanidhi also in social media without anonymous handle! Everyone is entitled to have an opinion of their own. You don't like his ideology that doesn't mean his actions were wrong.

5. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

"Sorry Atal fans."
    not at all..not a single iota of offence taken ...we totally expect this from karuna nidhi /congress/anti bjp followers ..
    .ATAL JI is too great to be demeaned by karunanidhi /congress followers ....:buenrollo:

desperate opposition party supporters r sooo jealous of the humongous grand support and fan following of his that they cant even stop themselves till a dead person's cremation is over ...

the great fault finder of atalji ....please post ur idol /favourite leader's name ..i m sure his/her criticism wont fit in 50 pages....:tonguecrazy:

there is a saying -- there is a short distance between decency and desperation.

6. kumudh31

kumudh31 Gold IL'ite

I can able to understand your anxiousness and worry in one word you started undeservingly. FYI, whatever fame and praises showered on Atalji is not enough he deserves more. He is a legend, none can deny his role in independent struggle and his hard work post independent India and his multi talent and simple life style. If a person like karunanidhi famous for scientific scams, amazed wealth for generations, induced caste based, language based hatred for political gain deserved a place in Marina, then legend Atalji deserves all the praises and more.

Your post on dead legend shows your level full of partial assumptions, however you try you can't hide sun's light. Whole nation including opposition leaders are paying their sincere homage for Atalji. Long live Atlaji's fame.

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Timing is everything and this may not be a good time to speak ill of the departed leader. I take this opportunity to pay homage to the departed leader. I will share my views after the mourning period.

Viswa

8. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

It looks like you have thrown a stone at a beehive, and no wonder the angry bees are swarming to get after you! If you don't have adequate protection, my advice to you is run as fast as possible.

Jokes apart, I, too, think this blog is written in poor taste, and it's definitely ill-timed.

Despite belonging to the Sangh Parivar, he was very liberal in outlook. The fact that he had been chosen 5 consecutive times from a predominantly Muslim Lucknow constituency with formidable vote shares is good enough reason to bolster that argument. For the first time, he showed that a motley coalition can successfully run a government for a full term.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  9. friendabc

friendabc Silver IL'ite

since u appreciate calling spade a spade , i take this opportunity to encourage u and @Balajee to please post your favourite leader's name ..so that others can also post their CLEAR N COURAGEOUS POSTS ABT THEM....
    i hope u will laud them with equal zest and zeal ...
    please dont get angry ...its fair ..right?? PEACE:angel:

10. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Everyone has to right to post views on any leader .

No one is stopping you to post about karunanidhi or abc or xyz ... Go ahead. No need wait for some
    One to reveal their fav leader . People will laud posts which match their views on certain issues or leaders . Whom to laud or whom to not laud is their choice , no one can dictate .

NeetaR, vaidehi71, kkrish and 2 others like this.