1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Vacuum cleaner-is it really worth the money

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by bindhudani, Sep 19, 2008.

1. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

:hiyaI am in Chennai.
    So far,I"d never felt the necessity of a vacuum cleaner.I just want to know from other users whether a vaccum cleaner really makes job easier or is it just a step atop a simple broom?Some feel that handling the machine is a chore by itself....

Will it be handy for daily use?Will it leave the floor as clean as mopping?

Pls advice..

2. Jenz

Jenz Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Being in Chennai, guess any day Broom is better. With so much of pollution and lots of dust collecting, it is easier to pick up a broom and sweep through rather than run that big instrument all over!!

Personally I have always found old ways are sometimes lot better, easy and comfortable no matter whatever comfort these machines boast off.
    For mopping the floor, guess many find it easier to use mops as one doesn't have to half-squat (incl. servant maids find using mops easier).

Cheers
    Jenz

3. asharvi67

asharvi67 New IL'ite

I would recommend u to buy one!

Not just for mopping/cleaning the floors.. its too gud to suck the dust.
    I use it for cleaning sofa,bed removing the cobwebs.

I personnaly feel that using the machine is not a tiresome job:) it leaves ur home dust free.

Using it one/twice a week should be gud....

4. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Thanks Asharvi,
    After a long time i once again feel a vacumm cleaner would be helpful.Can u suggest a good brand?
    Thanks for ur time.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I have found that the new microfiber mops a decided step up from any of the older mops. Use less water (by far) and pick up dirt very well. I don't know if you have them in India.

6. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Checked a few stores like e-zone,croma and vasanth ....they all have just 2 or 3 models of Eureka Forbes.None of these had the wet cleaning option.Seems like i have to get contented with the Eureka Forbes -trendy steel model .
    Features:
    1)Has both suction and blowing option
    2)has 14 accessories(hope atleast half of them would be useful)
    3)weighs 6kg
    4)has a cloth bag which is re-usable(spare available at a cost of Rs.200)
    5)5m chord length
    6)has a dust level indicator
    7)Automatic winding of chord
    Price :Rs4500
    What say friends?
    C'mon ...waiting to hear from u.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  7. hephail

hephail New IL'ite

Hi,

You really need a vacuum cleaner if you have a lot of pets or use carpets a lot.
    Bangalore and Pune usually catch a lot more dust then Chennai due to the dry climate.

Another option you may look at, are the robotic cleaners which have just come in, but the range usually starts from INR 7,000 and above. There at least, you will not have to bend and struggle to move furniture around.

-Werner

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Even i feel vacuum cleaner is not much of use where there is plenty of dust..better to remove them with a broom and duster than carrying the vaccum pump,wasting current and spending hours to clean a room...
    we too have a vacuum pump but i dont use it at all..broom,mops and dusters i feel are best that too being in dusty bangalore...my DH uses vacuum pump for removing the dust from car seats basically and also for few cleaning in car..other than that,there is no use of vacuum..JMO

9. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Do not invest in a vacuum cleaner. Best to pay the maid around 300 bucks and ask her to do the heavy-duty cleaning once a weeeeeeeeeeeek. Mine is gathering dust. If u have maid problem, then u can invest in Roboclean.

And vacuums cannot mop floors.

10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

A vacuum cleaner might not be the best option for claening the floors but it is very good for cleaning cobwebs, fans, windows, etc. In such cases, the dust/cobwebs dont land on the floor, but are sucked in by the vacuum cleaner. You can also use it to clean the sofas, cushions, matresses and get rid of dust and dust mites in them.

Also, this is very useful in households where people are allergic to dust and dust mites. With a broom the dust tends to fly around and might cause an allergy attack. With the vacuum cleaner, the dust is sucked in and reduces the chances of the allergy attack.

My take: it is useful for some types of cleaning. But that said, i would invest in small models, i have a handheld vacuum cleaner. I do not prefer the big bulky models which make using the vacuum cleaner like a humungous task.

-Lakshmi