1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vacancies For Senior Citizens

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Addendum to my above notes -an anecdote would be in the fitness of things to add here. Boy and girl were watching as their parents served their ailing parents ( children's grand-parents) their meal in dented aluminium platter. when grand parents expired, their personal effects including their aluminium platter were in a heap to be discarded and disposed.
    the boy took the platters and taken it to preserve. A shocked parents when asked why he was taking those dented aluminium platters, the boy softly said, " I may need it serve food to both of you when become old".
    Thanks and Regards. God Bless Us All.

Sunburst likes this.
  2. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Wonderfully said. Regards, Lakshmi

sindmani likes this.
  3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot.

4. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

You have summed it charitably but the angst is evident. It's a sad situation somehow I feel, its better than places abroad when children leave nest by the age of 18. Over there it's considered demeaning to continue living with parents after you're an adult. Independence is valued over interdependence. Such situations, where ultimately the seniors end up in old age homes after certain period, at mercy of care givers and household helps. We fare better in this aspect at least, so not all is not lost. At least, here it keeps the old engaged and makes them feel wanted and useful, even if they are being used in the process. I certainly feel, bonds of family and love flow from generation to generation. We owe to them.

Ineedhelp1 and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

No doubt seniors feel happy when they are kept engaged. I have heard some seniors cutting short their walk saying that their grand children would go to school only with them. Life however does not begin and end with sharing the work. It goes much beyond that. How many seniors know the salary their children get. I remember one gentleman telling me that his son must be earning well as he got the old man a T Shirt for Rs 1300. I felt pride and sadness in his voice. Wanting the person for himself on the one hand and wanting him for the responsibility shared are different. A little understanding and regular communication will go a long way in filling the vacuum.
    SLN

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    sindmani and bmaquarius like this.
  6. bmaquarius

bmaquarius Gold IL'ite

I know that would be an ideal situation but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world, can only make do best with whatever life offers.

sindmani likes this.
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

In Japan, a foreign tourist would find that most Taxi drivers are pretty old people. Heck, the average "senior" citizen, i.e., a person over 65, is often quite fit, and is engaged in some kind of routine work... like Taxi driving.
    One group is proposing a clever idea to reduce the number of old people:
    In January, when researchers specializing in aging studies proposed that Japan redefine “elderly” as being aged 75 and older — instead of the current 65 — it raised more than a few eyebrows........
    But Yasuyoshi Ouchi, who headed a committee of experts from the Japan Gerontological Society and the Japan Geriatrics Society that jointly came up with the proposal, said the conclusion was purely based on science. He said they found that older people in Japan are becoming “rejuvenated” by an average of five to 10 years, biologically and intellectually, compared with those a decade or two ago.

“We started our research with the question, ‘Why are over-65 people so robust and active these days?’ ” Ouchi, director at Toranomon Hospital in Tokyo who himself is 68, told a briefing at the Foreign Press Center in Tokyo last week. “Our proposal is not a political slogan. We tried to examine things from a purely scientific perspective.”

The current definition of elderly is based on the World Health Organization’s statement from 1956, which defines a society where people over 65 make up 7 percent or more of its population as “aging.” But the definition is out of sync with the situation today, as the health conditions of older people have significantly improved, Ouchi said."
    Thanks to 'rejuvenation,' definition of elderly should go up 10 years, Japanese researchers say | The Japan Times

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

On the lighter note my opinion is Elders can help their son or daughter with bringing up children voluntarily if both parents are working or in situational demand but it can't be forced(even out of love) on them .

9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

that is wonderful encouraging message for the rest of the world. Regards.

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good to see you @sln sir.
    Your snippet was very painful to read sir. Really, truly.

However, in a way it also helped me understand the trend and mentally prepare myself for this.

Thyagarajan likes this.