1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vacancies For Senior Citizens

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Oct 16, 2017.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Wish you a Happy Deepavali.You dont have to lose hope.Suddenly something happens to revive old systems,A nuclear family where both work needs the support of seniors for sheer care of children if not for anything else.The only thing to avoid is the use and throw attitude like the paper and plastic cups.
    SLN

sindmani likes this.
  2. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Happy Deepawali to you all, thank you for the wishes. Regards, Lakshmi

3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

For the betterment of all I can say , parents have to set aside at least some of their savings (LIC or pension scheme) for their retirement life . I know they have to spend for children 's education in India. But financial security is important.they can start inculcating in doing their hobby, educated seniors can teach children(all children in their area), all seniors can provide value education to children, can share stories of wisdom with children, free literacy classes can be taken. I know I will be old one day.I will also have children or child. For me too I will say this, lets be emotionally self dependent ,lets live our life. Health related problems if I am financially secured I can keep a nurse too. I am saying this putting me in the place. Lets be the solution. Old age is not to feel sad . it is to celebrate. I am happy for parents who have children nearby to take care of their needs. If our children are abroad or not near us , let us do the best for ourselves .

LakshmiKMBhat and joylokhi like this.
  4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

I agree with you that old age is for celebration having fulfilled the responsibility and seeing the children well off.Financial security gives them the confidence to face challenges.While facing challenges is normal in day to day life,getting agitated is only an option.Better understanding of this concept will be of help even though shaking off the emotional dependence is easier said than done in the Indian context.
    SLN

sindmani likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@sin children know the rules and elders know the loopholes - said the ad.
    2. the thread is a sure shot about indifference of younger generation to the elder generation who toiled in the past to make them stand where they are today. after few decades the present younger generation would be paid in the same coin by their own adult kids.
    3. the way the old age homes mushrooming in Tamilnadu, is indicative of the present youngs toward their elders.
    4. In Japan population of over 60 years old is exceeding their productive population(work force) and still the respect olds command in their Nation is enviable.
    Hats off to you Sir. thanks and regards. Happy Deepavali.

sindmani likes this.
  6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sln
    Stark reality of present times.
    This reminds me of a walk in interview for a well paying job like this:

Interviewer- you must be post graduate with MBA in finance.
    Interviewee- Nope !
    Interviewer- then you must be graduate with 10 years of experience in the job.
    Interviewer- Nope.
    Interviewer- did not you read our requirements?
    Interviewee- I did.
    Interviewer- then why did you come and waste my time?
    Interviewee- to tell you not to wait for me.

However I think I must refurbish my CV now !

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

The old generation is keeping the seat warm so that their children can occupy when the time come."The muffled drums are beating as the funeral marches to the grave"which means that as the cortege moveson,with every heart beat the pall bearers are nearing their end.Having stayed in an up market retirement retreat,I know while many brave the experiment and put up a show there is a vaccum and unexpressed pain in their heart.I have enough case studies to write a whole book on the subject.
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Irrespective of the age seniors are in demand to take care of the grand children when they return from school.These are treacherous days and children cannot be entrusted to childcare institutions or nannies however dependent they are.There are many horror stories.Trouble starts when you yourself need assistance and youngsters dont have patience or time.
    SLN

9. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Really sad to see how things are headed..
    In my mind, i thought most people love spending time with grandkids.. of course they shouldn't be burdened with all the daily chores that the kids need..
    I can see only one way out of this, a single working parent, while the other stays home and watches kids.. granparents get to be grandparents and not parents! Wish it was as simple as that!

shyamala1234 likes this.
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

We have to go into segmentation to understand the problem.Upto Sixtyfive,they love to play with the children including hide and seek.After that ageing sets in fast what with knee joints,spinal chord,Diabetes,gastro intestinal problem etc they would like to be in the showcase rather than indulge in any physical activity.There is a lot of difference between some thing done out of love and out of necessity and compulsion.While parents were satisfied with making their children graduates today they want their children to be MBAs,Engineers and Doctors.Instead of time keeping watches they like to flaunt Apple watches.There is a midnight queue when the latest version of IPHONE is introduced.All this cost money and can be afforded by double income families or disastrous work life balance.The problem is much more deep rooted and we have only scrathced the surface in this post.
    SLN