1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vaayullapillai Pizhaikkum - a True story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rrg, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Vaayullapillai Pizhaikkum
    I was born in a village near Tanjore.
    In the mid 1950's, our family migrated to Madras looking for better opportunities.
    While my elder siblings initially found it a bit difficult to adjust to the new environs of the big city, it was much easier for me both because of my nature as also due to the fact that I began my schooling only in Madras. Even at such a tender age, the first lesson I learnt was that "Vaai Chavadal" (VC) is the key for survival in places like Madras. I learnt to use VC effectively over the next few years to be accepted as the leader of my group. Even our teachers felt so and made me the 'monitor' of the class, every year, in the primary school where I had my initial schooling. This made me feel like a "superman" or is it "superkid"? :)
    For all that I had a puny physique.

When I was 8 yrs old, my parents shifted me to a very big school, perhaps the biggest in Madras then. Even here, I continued with my VC and established myself the leader on the first day itself. Everything was 'hanky dory' during the first few days till a self appointed 'chela' of mine informed me that there was another boy in the next section, claiming to be stronger than me and that the issue needed to be settled urgently by a 'no holds barred' physical combat in front of all class-mates - to establish my supremacy once and for all. By nature I hate any physical fights and was also well aware that the chances of my winning any such combat was next to nothing. But, as the issue was one of "prestige", eventhough scared within, I nonchalantly declared to fight the challenger the next Friday evening in front of a particular Pillaiar Koil near by, immediately after the school closure. I did so on the spur of the moment, more to impress my flock. But, from then on it was mental torture for me. I secretly watched my challenger & his movements and found him to be much stronger. Then I approached my elder brother (2 years older to me), who was real bully, to teach me some of the finer aspects of fist fighting - only to get thrashed in the name being taught. Soon, I realised that it is a 'no go' situation for me and was frantically trying to find a way out of my predicament. My pleadings with my mother about abstaining from school for a couple of days due to tummy-ache etc were vetoed by my father, who was very adamant on my not missing any class in the new school. Finally on Friday, with the fond hope that the boys might have forgotten about my declaration to fight, I ventured to the school. To my utter dismay, I found hectic activity going on between the two sets of chelas (mine as well as the challenger's) even during class intervals, claiming superiority of their respective leader and the intensity level was very high. I tried to look more cheerful than normal but was raking up my brain for possible escape routes. I finally decided on the only way out - to run away the moment school bell rings for the day. Accordingly, in the evening once the final bell rang I took off for home at my best - I am pretty sure be it PT Usha or the Flying Sikh would have looked at me with an approving nod. But I found my chelas also chasing me, calling me to stop. My only bother then was my physical well being and I ran as fast as I could towards safety, throwing all such trash like reputation, prestige etc to the winds. I out ran my "followers" and was home in a jiffy. I did not venture out the next two days. Luckily as it was a new school, none of my class mates knew my house and I was not disturbed by any during the week-end.

Come next Monday morning and my thoughts were first of safety and then of the ignominy that I would have to go thro' for my cowardly act of Friday. I decided to go to school early and get into the class room to avoid being caught by my challenger or his chelas on the road and thrashed. The Pillar Koil, the supposed venue for our fight for supremacy, was on my way to school and I decided to go inside and pray to the Lord to save me first and if possible my face as well. The moment I entered the temple, I heard my name being called and turned around to see the challenger standing outside. The shock of seeing him there was so severe that my feet refused to move. The challenger started moving closer and I realised that the moment of truth had arrived & didn't know what to do. I was readying myself to take a solid punch on my face - all the while urging the Pillaiar to do something quickly, like manifesting my elder brother there or better still He Himself appearing in the form of my elder brother to scare away the tormentor. But no such thing happened and the next few seconds seemed like ages.

At last, unexpectedly, the challenger put his hands around my shoulders, declared that he recognised me as his equal and said that there was no need for any fight between us & we could become friends. He suggested that we both remain leaders of our respective class sections & that from then on he would respect me so and expected me to reciprocate. I was amazed at Pillar's 'jadhugiri' and immediately hugged my foe turned friend. Both of us did our prostrations to the Deity for resolving amicably, a dispute of world war magnitude in no time. We thanked Him profusely for His sound judgement and then proceeded to the school as joint winners. Our chelas were surprised at we both coming with hands around each other's shoulders.

I was thoroughly impressed with the magnanimity of the ex-foe turned friend and was bit ashamed of myself for declaring a fight with such a nice boy hastily - till the truth came out. It transpired, much lateron, that it was my challenger who ran out of the school first on Friday and when I ran out, all boys took it that I was chasing him. Thus my leadership status remained unquestioned amongst the boys. I never revealed what transpired in the temple to anyone and made it a point to tell all my chelas that the other guy also was equally good and ensured that there was no more bickering between the boys.

It was not surprising that even in the new school, I was selected class leader by the teachers till I passed out of the school. While my reputation as bright student would have certainly influenced the teachers, I have no doubts that I remained a leader amongst the boys more due to VC and street smartness - in good sense of the terms.

This incident made me realise the truth of the saying " VAAYULLAPILLAI PIZAHIKKUM". Till date 'naan pizhaiuththuk konduthan irukkirane' with lots of friends / chelas in life and very few enemies. Ofcourse, I have matured over the years to resort to VC only under exceptional circumstances. :biglaugh
    anbudan,
    rrg

2. supriyaakp

supriyaakp Bronze IL'ite

This is the highlight of your story RRG. Had a good laugh.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  3. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks Supriyaa.
    Pleased to note that my posting served it's purpose.:)
    Rgds,
    rrg

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rrg,

Superb...got to the secret of your leadership he he... and how the friedship began with a foe..good one. enjoyed a lot.

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear Rrg
    Indeed a nice theory. It is true if you have " Vaichaalakku" you can win anybody! You have become the leader by your talent. but I feel your legs only ( by running) saved you from the mishap. A nyway "all ends well that ends well".
    with love
    pad

6. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear Lalitha & Padmini, ( what a combination of names! Reminds me of Travancore sisters)
    Many thanks for your appreciation. This would encourage me to post more stories in this forum.
    I am sure you would enjoy my other stories as well.
    Cheers,
    rrg

7. mayachaudhuri

mayachaudhuri Senior IL'ite

Hello:)
    It is a nice story .Wish you could translate the phrase Vaai Chavadal for people like me who do not understand Tamil:hide:
    Thanks!!!

8. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks Maya, for your compliments.
    The Title "Vaayullapillai Pizhaikkum" could be roughly translated as 'the child who could talk his way through, will succeed in life'.
    In Tamil 'Vaai' means mouth.
    'Vaai Chavadaal' could be interpreted as 'talking high and mighty - with an intention to impress others / browbeat the opposition'.
    Cheers!
    rrg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hahaha...had a good laugh...very nice story

10. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Thanks Mindi.
    Pleased to note that you enjoyed it.
    Cheers!
    rrg