Uti ?? Please Help

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by cliona, Aug 3, 2016.

1. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    Need your opinions. My cousin is 7+ months pregnant. Although asymptomatic,She was asked to do urine culture which showed kleibsiella pneumoniae 40,000 cfu per ml. So, her gynec asked her to start IV amikacin 750 mg for 5 days. I found out that amikacin is harmful for the baby.( causes ear and kidney problems) . I took an opinion from my gynec who felt that since she is asymptomatic, it's not required to treat her and kleibsiella is a commensal ( normally seen bacteria in urine ) She repeated the culture in a different lab and found out pseudomonas this time 45,000 cfu per ml
    Now I am really worried about what to do.... Should she change the doctor or lab... Or should she take the antibiotics...... Please please help....
    Regards,
    Cliona

2. cliona

cliona Silver IL'ite

Hi, in case if somebody else going through this. My own reply might help. Klebsiella pneumoniae and pseudominas bacteria are normally seen in the urinary tract. If the bacterial count us low, there is nothing to worry. However repeated cultures and consulting a good gynec is very important. Antibiotics should be avoided as much as possible. However in case of confirmed infection, safe antibiotics are preferred. On my friends recommendation, my cousin consulted a very good gynec and this is what I got to know.
    Whenever in doubt, please consult 2 or even 3 gynecs for decision making. Tell them medical history clearly and reason for second opinion. Good doctors usually understand patient concerns and are genuinely concerned.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Cliona