1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Using Coconut Oil For Eczema?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Ticktock, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Ticktock

Ticktock New IL'ite

Hi ladies
    My 23mons DS has eczema on his shoulders and cheeks .i apply eczema cream but it's not subsiding .

Looks like his skin is very dry. Will applying coconut oil help?

Also MIL says applying coconut oil makes people dark . Is that true?

Please give your suggestions.

2. Craziyrmom

Craziyrmom Silver IL'ite

My son had mild eczema when he was 1 year old and our paed also suggested to apply coconut oil after bath...not too much but just like a mild version of cream. N yes it definitely helped our kid! When we saw that it started working, we stopped all creams from then. We started using soap free body wash for him.
    For winter, we got another cream prescribed by paed which worked well for him. The whole idea is to keep baby s body moisturized well. I hope you are not using powder on the baby.

N regarding skin getting dark, I think it is most important to worry about getting rid of eczema in the first place.

guesshoo likes this.
  3. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hey OP,

Even my son had ecema till 1.5 year.
    I searched so many docs for a tretament, anf finally found a good one.
    In fact 1 doc even gave steroids for my son, Which then I dint know as steroids.

as another post says we have to moisturise the baby's skin.
    Stop using detergents for his/her clothes washing.
    Dont use soap daily for baths.My doctor suggested emolient for bathing, and she told me to constantly moisturise his body. IN few months all the dry area subsided.and slowly as they grow, his skin improved.

I did try coconut oil too but dint work.

All the best!
    Feel free for further question.

4. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

My daughter has eczema. We used coconut oil to massage her since she was 2 months and it's keeping her skin supple and smooth. She turned 2 recently but I still massage her with Coconut oil before bath. I am not using any other apart from this.

5. dc24

dc24 Gold IL'ite

Yes..coconut oil is very helpful in eczema.
    Plus you can ask abt this cream called Betasalic from pediatrician in case of severe itching n redness.

6. VijayaRaghu

VijayaRaghu Silver IL'ite

Cetaphil restoraderm body wash & lotion really helped my daughter and couple of my friends kids. It works like a magic and soothes the skin too.

7. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I do not know about making it skin dark. My skin is allergic to it so I do not use on myself.
    It causes itchiness to me. When my kid was new infant, for her body massages, I used to use it.
    For eczema, can you get aquaphor and cetaphil or vaseline somewhere? I swear by these and they are staple in my home.

8. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

Coconut oil doesnt make skin darker... And making skin moisturzed is the main basic precaution against eczema... Then blankets from wool/ polysters... try cotton materials.. no harsh soaps... QV lotion/ Alphanova oil works like magic too..
    Some foods trigger eczema. So u need too analyse which one causes the increase..
    In my sons case it was orange, egg, whole wheat fuds, lays, potato.
    For others it may b diffrnt.. so just diagnose...
    Some mild eczema will b naturally cured by the age of 3 or 4.. som may take upto 15 years.
    Ur baby have only mild ones i think.. so may God cure him soon.