US Citizen wishes to live in Chennai

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by ChennaiExpress, Jul 9, 2014.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

That's a wonderful idea!!! And who can forget PIO card?

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister ChennaiExpress,

:welcome to IL family and to Chennai.

Any place for that matter needs adjustment, anybody moving from India to overseas also adjust (No Maids, No Close circle of people around, No frequent functions..) there are always ifs and buts about the location we move out of passion or out of compulsion.

Everything that is talked about like mosquitoes, pollution is almost there in every other city, so if your mindset for accommodating yourself then the place is yours!!!

I was born and brought up in Chennai and moved to many places across India and a few places in Asia as well, but still I love to be in Chennai.

We are here to give you a shoulder if need be, so go ahead the choice is YOURS!!!

:welcome, May Baba guide us always, SAIRAM

3. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Have you ever lived there for more then your usual visits. Its one thing to visit a country as a tourist or even visiting family and totally different ball game when you decide to live there.

GlobetrotterG likes this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

I only visited Chennai once....

There are deeper psychological issues as to why I wish to move to Chennai.

Of course, a tourist gets treated much much differently than a person living there ....and I'll do a trial run first before I make any final decisions.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  5. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

That's great :) all the best.

6. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Developing a thicker skin.

Sunshine04 and coolwinds like this.
  7. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Don't come. Indians will kick the sh*t out of you.

8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, An interesting plan.
    Please don't think Chennai is a paradise.May be for few days as a tourist. I have visited the place.

When you start living here in India you will realises the harsh realities of life. If you are in a highly professional environment you may not feel much. Else you will soon realise many factors you have never thought of, attitude of people, bossy attitude of males, pollution, corruption, high temperature etc.. if you are considering it I suggest you to go there or work there at least for 6 months and see.
    IF you plan to do PhD better do in US or on IIT ,IISC, ISRO.. not in normal universities... you will be surprised by the unprofessional attitude and problems. If the guide is not a good one , student will suffer a lot

I know at least two families, originally from India, settled in USA. They went back to India, but realised it is not easy. They came back to USA within 1-2 years.. I also thought of going back to India, but I know how difficult it is to handle day to day life.. so kind of made my mind to settle here.
    In USA you can move alone freely anywhere, in India a woman have to take some one with them all the time especially during night or for long trip or to unfamiliar place. I think you should give much much importance to your safety and security.
    Life is much much easier and better in USA, especially for an independent woman, and one can manage alone. The system is like that. But in India, you have to depend on so many people and soon realize the problems you never thought of

If there is a will,there is a way. If you have a very strong support system and money it may work. But give a test run.. good luck.

Just realized that it is an old thread.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    GlobetrotterG and Sunshine04 like this.
  9. ChennaiExpress

Now I am thinking I will stay cozy in USA. Grass is always greener on the other side.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  10. ChennaiExpress

Who kicked the sh*t out of you?