Upanayanam(Thread Ceremony) Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Arunavee, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Arunavee

Arunavee Bronze IL'ite

Hi All! We plan to perform the thread ceremony(Upanayanam) for my son in Jan next year.Sitting here in Australia and not having anyone to discuss with is a big drawback but I believe I can get ideas and can plan for it even if far off.I want anyone who has performed this ceremony before to share everything in detail.What are the ceremonies/steps , what is done each day , what are the things we should do as parents.I have only seen/attended Upanayanams so far but this is the first time we will be doing one and I want to know everything about this.Any help regarding card designs,Mantapams , any return gift ideas ...please share.I want to be properly prepared for the ceremony and know what is happening throughout.Would be grateful for any info shared.We will be conducting this in Bangalore -my hometown.We are Iyengars.

thanks in advance,

Aruna

2. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Hi Aruna

First Fix Muhurtha. As far as Upanayanam is concerned, it has to be done during Uthrayana Punyakala say during the Month of Masi or Panguni... i.e. between Feb-13 to April-13, which is considered to be auspicious for the boy who is being done Brahmopadesam.

Once this is done, Try to Fix manapdam with the help of your relations at Bangalore for the particular day.

For Upayananam, we need 9 sastrigals for Nandi Srartham the previous day. Poorvangam will be done on the day before Upanayanam.

All the Samskaras, which has been omitted from Jatakarma to the day of Upanayanam will be conducted the Vedic Pandits. During the day of Upayana, (Brahmopadesam) you need 3 vadus (young boys who have done Upanayanam) for Brahmana Bojanam.

Following are (Basic) needed
    1) Vasthram for the 9 sastrigals
    2) Dakshna for the Vedic Pandits
    3) vastram for the Vadus
    4) Vastram for the Karthas
    5) Pancha Patra Uthirani
    6) Thanga Poonal / silver Poonal
    7) Karthas (Parents of the vadu)
    8) 3 Garlands
    9) Uncle of the upanayana boy
    10) Bojanam for all relatives and friends (Can fix with caterers) for the previous day and the day of Poonal.
    11) Paruppu thaenga Koodu
    12) Bakshanam (Murukku, laddu, adirasam, and Paruppu thengaa koodu)
    13) Homam materails as listed by Vaathiyar
    14) Thamboolam to the relatives and guests.

Others include, Vesti podavai to relatives
    Sambanthi mariyathai Vesti podavai to Parents...

Hope this clears....
    Should you need, you can post here...
    Regards

Swaminatha Sharma

3. aarta

aarta Silver IL'ite

Hi Aruna,

If you want i can fix murutha for the ceremony,as suggested by Mr. Swaminatha Sharma,

"Upanayanam has to be done during Uthrayana Punyakala say during the Month of Masi or Panguni... i.e. between Feb-13 to April-13, which is considered to be auspicious for the boy who is being done Brahmopadesam".

Thanks& regards
    Aarta

4. Arunavee

Arunavee Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much for your inputs , Mr Sharma and aarta.I will be in Bangalore only for a short period when my son has holidays and that is between jan 15 and Jan 23.So I have no choice but to look for dates within that range.I want to know details of what happens during the Upanayanam so that I can prepare for that from here.The info Mr Sharma has given has gretly helped me get an idea.Thank you so much.I also read up about "seer" what is this ? And what is "abhivadanam"? How can I teach my son this ? You have mentioned role of Uncle of vadu.What exactly does my brother do? What should we give him ? What are my parents expected to give ? What is sambandhi marayaadhai ? For whom is it done? What is Poorvangam ? What exactly happens here? I would be grateful for some information. Thanks in advance !

Aruna

5. malaswami

My Replies are in Red

I also read up about "seer" what is this ?
    Bakshanam and Podavai Vaeshti are given as Seer

And what is "abhivadanam"? How can I teach my son this ?
    Abhivadanam will be taught by the Vaathiyar to the boy with your Gothram and Pravaram....
    You need not worry on that

You have mentioned role of Uncle of vadu.What exactly does my brother do?
    Your brother is Mama for the boy, He plays important role in giving Thanga Poonal and Velli poonal for him. First mariyathai is only for your brother there...

What should we give him ?
    You should first invite him properly. then offer him as much you like (Your brother na.. lolz)

What are my parents expected to give ?
    All the Above mentioned, from seer bakshanam to Dress, Velli pathiram, Pancha patram, Paruppu thengai and all other vethalai Thamboolam, are your parents expenditure....

What is sambandhi marayaadhai ? For whom is it done?
    Since your parents are doing all expenditure for the vadu, you have to give Ethir mariyathai to him in the Sabai with podavai Vaeshti and bakshanam and all... This has to be done by you and your husband to your parents....

What is Poorvangam ? What exactly happens here?
    Poorvangam is getting permission from elders present on the function and start of the program at the Mandapam by the Vathiyaars....

I would be grateful for some information. Thanks in advance !
    Hope this clears all your doubt...

Regards

6. Arunavee

Arunavee Bronze IL'ite

Thank you so much malaswami for the trouble you have taken.Yes it does clear my doubts.These small nitty-grittys no one tells and I hate last minute surprises.I like being properly prepared.Thank you so much.It has cleared my doubts to a great extent.

Aruna

7. malaswami

Hi Aruna

U R M WC :)

Regards