1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

unwanted mushrooms in flower beds

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by sunitha, Aug 25, 2010.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Does anyone know what can be done to eradicate unwanted mushrooms in flower beds.I tried pulling them out by hand,applying bleach etc,nothing seems to be working.They come back in full force.Any ideas?

Also,some of my plants like hydrangea are getting eaten off by deer,how can I keep the deer away from my plants?

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sunitha, thanks to you, I ended up reaidng about mushrooms :) Obviously it is the moisture in air that is causing their growth and I believe there is nothing that really works beacuse they propgate by spores and are there everywhere and whenthe conditions are ripe, just shoot out the fruit!!! I am sure you know all this - well from the options I read looks like either having a good ground cover (if that is possible) or planting hostas in the place of your now regular plants. I am leaning towards hostas because i personally like them and they are easy to care for and maintain. Here is one link I thought provided better answer.

Mushrooms in Your Lawn and Garden

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Srama,that was useful.I did not know about hostas,infact,I'm very new to the gardening scene itself.We put up our flower beds only 3-4 weeks back and I'm still learning the nuances of the trade.

To keep the deer away for now,I put some egg shells and sprayed some egg wash around some plants,and looks like it is keeping the deer away for now,atleast till the next rains. Once the rains come,again back to square one,mushrooms will start their work again and deer will be back since the egg would have all washed away by then!!:crazyThis is called 'funny gardening'!!:bonk

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sunitha, I totally forgot about the deer. Yes egg shells should do as also some crushed red pepper I think. Also you get specific sprays in lowes to keep deer away. Once you learn about mushrooms and deer, you will have rabbits and other rodents and then ever pervading and invasive weeds...no no I am not sacring you but that is what is gardening esp if we try to reduce or go no pesticide way :) You are right, after winter start all over again...but soon you will be a pro and it will be fun!! Welcome to happy world of gardening and enjoy :)

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My neighbors put a fine netting over their plants to keep off deer and other visitors. You can get it in any gardening center. I personally just stopped planting stuff that deer like and even stopped trying vegetable gardening as each year something got my plants and I didn't want to put up fencing. The same neighbors have fencing and this year while they were away for 5 days a woodchuck burrowed under the fencing (like some maximum security prisoner) and invaded and eat itself silly. Then they had several weeks of live animal trapping and woodchucks and skunks going for rides into the country. Last year I paid for heritage tomato plants and they were coming ok but no fruits maturing. I was wondering what was wrong. Then one morning I looked out an a woodchuck was running by with a green tomato in its mouth. Woodchucks never seem to have any fertility problems....grrrrr. As to the mushrooms, just disregard them. They only come for short periods in spring and fall and then are gone.