1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unreasonable Mom

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by SGBV, Apr 17, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Dear @blindpup10

I remember you were telling that you live with your mom.
    I have spoken to almost all the girls in general, and they were able to relate some or the other issues of mine for the simple reason that they live with their moms after marriage.
    This is no different from normal Indian men who live with their moms after marriage either.
    All in all, the moms after a certain age seem to treat their children as if they are the spouse of their enemies (SNIL/DIL) and not as their children anymore.
    It is because of their constant attention seeking battle, and they are jealous their children pay more attention to their spouse than them.
    The child who pays extra care and gives unconditional love to the parent gets badly affected by this drama.
    Blessed are the children who could get away from this responsibility of taking care/living with elderly parents.
    This is a phase, and I believe this too shall pass.
    I am glad to hear from someone who understands what I feel.
    As you said, I've chosen to ignore and do what pleases me atleast to retain my sanity. Of course in a humble manner.

sindmani likes this.
  2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Exactly, she doesn't believe that she is doing anything wrong. On top of it, she is capable of twisting the facts as per her taste. So that her other children (my siblings) too think she is not wrong.

She doesn't think her DD is happy or the marriage is perfect. According to her standard I am living a very cruel marriage. Because she believes in controlling, and doesn't believe in equality or respect in a marriage. She controlled her H, and was treated like a queen in her home. She sees the same in and around her life. Her siblings (all are male) are being controlled by their spouses. Her son is believed to have controlled by SIL.
    Of course this control has several dimensions. And these women had faced hell lot of other issues in their marriage.
    But according to my mom's belief system, a marriage should be like that only.
    So, in our case, there is nothing like controlling. Only mutual friendship, respect and affection. She fails to understand this as something positive.
    So, she thinks of either empowering me as a controlling freak or to pull me out of this marriage.

Counseling... No She is far from it. First she must understand that there is a need for it. In fact, I too could give counseling to a certain level (as I am trained for it) but she is not ready for it.

I am getting my counseling from my peers, and venting like this helps to remain normal.

sindmani likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Today's update:

Last night my kids had a fun filled evening with my H in the garden. After a long play, my H has invited the kids to take bath. But they refused and continued to play even though it was dark. I was cooking and was ready to feed, but they hadn't come out of the garden by then.
    So my H gave pats in the backs of my kids, to which they cried loud.
    It was simple pat, and pretty normal and i am sure they were not hurt. In 10 mins, they rushed to the wash room, played there with dad, and came out smiling to the dinning room.

Mom saw that my H gave the pat, and rushed inside her room with a long face. Till that moment, she was smiling and staying very happy.
    When the dinner was ready, I called her but she refused to eat. She did not even came out to watch her fav soap last night.
    My son noticed this, and repeatedly asked why she is moody.
    It really affected me, but I forced myself to change my mood yet I listened to some good melodies in the terrace for a long time before sleeping.

This morning, both I and H had meetings, so we rushed to office together. Mom remained silent until we left home. Of course with a long face as if we had done some crime.
    This time I did not even ask her why.. But my son asked, and she said she is angry on the little ones for being naughty and getting punished.
    She eventually started to talk to the kids though. But then complained to me that my son seems scared, and got up several time during mid night and cried. He is 6 yrs and when asked he said he remembers nothing.
    Then he complained of leg pain. It was because of the long play at garden. My H massaged his leg as usual.
    But mom hinted, it could have been an effect of your H's cruel beating last night. And also she related how scary my son feels during sleep.

Common... It was a simple pat, and the kids were immediately OK. But she acts or may be believes as if it was some serious physical abuse on the kid. She is angry on me for not fighting with H when he did that. Her long face is to punish me, or to push me to fight with my H for this.

I am sure, she would narrate all this at my bro's place this weekend, as if my H had abused the kids, and I was afraid of taking any action against it.
    So, my bro is either gonna say "Mom leave it.. they know what to do, and how to do" Or sometimes, he might say " My sister should learn to control the kids when they are naughty, so that BIL doesn't have to beat them"
    What so ever, he would leave it at that. But mom would bring that to my home as if it was a validation from her son, i.e I should be able to either control my kids or my H, and since I do not do any of this, I am a bad mom.

God... Just an example.....

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

My close friend, her life was ruined bcoz of her widowed old mother. She has other kids too but she will only live with my friend n not the others. She made sure she takes every little decision in d grandkids life. Even if my friend wants to go for a date / holiday with her husband. She will pretend to be sick or join them n sleep in the same room saying she's scared to be alone. She ill treated the in laws family n caused huge issues. She always turns a petty issue into a huge issue. She brain washed her daughter so badly that their marriage was strained n d hubby guy ended up having an affair n dey got divorced. A few years later they tried to reconcile n dis mother still plays villain. As a couple they both r perfect but bcoz of this mother they both hav lost their marriage. She jus wants her daughter to only b her daughter n wants d daughter take care of her. Any relationship / hubby r villains who has come to steal her life n happiness. This mother is in her 60s n may live for a decade more? D daughter is in her 30s, wat will happen to her after that? One of the most selfish moms I hav ever seen. Plz give a lot of importance to ur husband. If u can financially afford it, either take a villa or two small apartments nex to each other or block n keep ur mom there n hubby here. So they don't look at each other's face every day n u r not stuck under d same roof. She's stil close to u n cares for ur kids n u take care of her and u can still hav a healthy relationship with ur hubby. It's hard to find a good husband who accepts u for u n puts up with mil drama. N a mom is also important so compromise mid way n still keep ur sanity.

sindmani and SGBV like this.
  5. paru123

paru123 Gold IL'ite

I think your mon feels ignores and left out on the house. Try to involve her in all activities. Is she fond of gardening or can handle pets. She has lots of time in her hands, so she is finding mistakes and poisoning your mind. Can she go out for walks twice a day and talk to same age people or visit temple or any worship areas.

Old age is so bad especially for the single ones.

SGBV likes this.
  6. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

SGBV
    I completely understand ur mom thinking. Her son earns DIL enjoying home. Here the daughter doing job which makes her feel u r working hard. Why cant she realize u love ur career and thats where the real happiness. But no she is very jealous on ur hubby. She want u probably to quit job stay home with her and ur hubby to go other cities for jobs. God how can they think like that.

I feel we are unfortunate that our mom or sisters have this kind of thinking and are spoiling our peace of mind.

I have seen My cousins , she is a doctor and no kids till now, my aunt encourages her a lot. gives her space and dont even tell her any family issues not to interrupt her job. My cousins husbans stays home and aunt feels proud of her daughter encourages to work hard.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    nakshatra1, sindmani and SGBV like this.
  7. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

I have seen my mom dad doing same. Creating scene when husband gave small punishment to kids. I think this drama will surely happen when parents are home.
    Practice the ignore behavior.

SGBV likes this.
  8. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

This is a very unhealthy family dynamic. I understand it is your mother and you repetitively stressed it is "just a vent" so I don't know how in-depth you will appreciate responses since after all it is your family. Also, our responses can be only based on what you have written. There may be much more, good and bad, that we do not know.

All I can say is the relationship is neither normal nor healthy. Healthy mature adult relationships have respect, space, boundaries, ability to be selectively involved where needed, yet detached, set someone free, trust, and act as mentors. I would not expose myself or my family to an environment like this around the clock, visiting is fine.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No, your DH is not getting a good deal here. The extent to which you and your mom discuss, criticize, defend him is not right. It is very unfair to him. Morally wrong to keep discussing or defending one's spouse this way with anybody. No matter what the other person's situation (old, widow).
    There are few things I can say with close to 100% sureness, this is one of them: if any body said such a thing about me or DH, made such a comment about either of us as a parent, the other would immediately tell that person that such talk is not acceptable.

You are so close to your mother, and your lives and thoughts so entwined, it is improbable that what we say will get through. But: when your mother made that comment, and when she did the long face drama, it was your duty to tell her off in firm words. Old age, ill health, widowed status do not condone such comments about a loving father. The evening family scene you describe is so loving and playful and filled with joy. There are many in this world who would give anything for that. For your mother to see fault in that, and to create drama out of that, is deplorable.

Your son already asked why grandma was upset or something. They will grow up seeing this behavior from your mom. You may think you can hide her comments and behavior from DH and kids, but living in one household that is impossible.

You owe it to yourself, your DH and your kids to have mom live separately but nearby, or spread out the months between her three children. No amount of help or support she provided you in your lean times makes up for the damage she is inflicting now.

10. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@SBGV,
    If this happens once in 2-3 months , then you can can buffer it but if it a frequent thing , you are just deluding yourself that this will not effect your kids. Children are pretty intuitive, and can sense even if they cannot understand the politics.

When i had my differences with my MIL, I wasnt disappointed/hurt by her, but I was with DH and even some extent with my own self. My point is this, I love him, my MIL loves him, so he is the one capable of maintaining balance and harmony. Because when he decides something, when he lays rules and boundaries, we will accept, even if grudgingly. It is because he is not dealing with the problems, because he felt he was the victim, there was problem. If he had faced issues, it is not be easy, there would still be some problems, but life would have not reached to that bitter point for all.

You have to convince your mom that she is the one who is making you unhappy, that if she doesnt change you will continue to be stressed and unhappy. That might, just might change her.

It is your choice whether you choose to do something about this or not, but the fact is your mother is manipulating you and it is going to affect your relationship with your DH and the relationship between your kids and DH. No matter what changes you do to yourself, if she doesnt change the impact is going to be there.

sindmani and Rihana like this.