1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unnecessary Trouble

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Sapna56, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Dear all
    Again in trouble need your honest opinions. I recently resigned from my work due to unavoidable circumstances. I again started looking for job. It's challenging time with lots of ups and downs until I get a job. Me and DH have a group of friends with whom we socialize and meet on weekends. Now there were lots of fights and gossips among the ladies from the group. Reason being they all are jobless and have time. Till now I never had time to be part of this gossips and misunderstandings.
    But now that I have time, I am little worried that I might end up being one of them. Please help me how do I maintain that limit so that I don't indulge into all these uncessary tension and stress till I again start working.

2. prreeya

prreeya Silver IL'ite

one easy way spend your time in learning/gardening/walking. and when those women will tell you something reply to them "Thanks for sharing" and you will forget those things there only.

Sapna56, anika987 and Sandycandy like this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Hobbies , hobbies , hobbies ! I highly recommend that you pursue something that interests you, it could be cooking or art or even watching TV. When you meet with friends talk about general topics, politics or movies or ask about kids and their activities . Familiarity breeds contempt , so you don't have to see these friends very often. Gossip also starts when you see them often and have to indulge in small talk .
    People gossip at work too, so unfortunately having a job does not prevent people from gossiping .

Vedhavalli, Sapna56 and anika987 like this.
  4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Get in there and have some fun. After all, you said they are "a group of friends" that you have; what sorts of friends would one wants to avoid?

If you think you don't want to be their friends anymore, a bit of round-robin gossiping would be the best way to eliminate them all from your circle. And then you'd have your new job, and no time for them anyhow.

Sapna56 likes this.
  5. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Gossips are everywhere. School, college, job, relatives, friends, neighbours, etc and regardless of the gender.

If it makes you uncomfortable,
    Distract - talk abt something else.
    Or just smile or say 'oh' 'hmm' without adding anything or accepting.
    Don't take them too seriously, that's when it becomes stressful.
    Take it easy and jus try to hav fun.
    The moment it stops being fun for you, take a break, relax n then come back.

Friends do come with their plus n minus, so do we. N There are many who crave for a good group of friends. So just try to have a good time.

If you have more free time, hobbies or travel are a great way to explore your interests and learn new things. Try something that you always wanted to do but didn't have time due to the job.

Sapna56, anika987 and sindmani like this.
  6. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Good attitude. Because u should not be a part of nasty gossips. But here u have to play. U have to be nice with them. At the same time u have to maintain a distance. Bcos deftly, when they gossip abt other person behind you they may (may not we don't know. But psychology is when some person gossip about others in front of you, they may also gossip abt u to others) gossip abt u also. So maintain a hobby, act busy in from of them that u always have some work.initially it will be tough but after sometime they will understand this and maintain a distance. When they plan for outing for example, u need not go everytime rather go once in a while and no need to talk much abt personal things.

Sapna56 and anika987 like this.
  7. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

Imho... gossiping is not bad. It shows the opnions biased or not. How do u know if ur friends only pick on bad stuff to gossip??
    Listening to gossip unknowingly teaches you some valuable lessons about ppl and society arnd you. And also sometimes on how to behave or how world perceives you.
    FB is passive stalking and gossip which most ppl enjoy. Criticism makes u thick skinned. Dont run from gossip.

Nonya, Sapna56 and anika987 like this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

It is always good to work but not all jobless people are gossip mongers.Many keep to themselves too.Some gossip.

There are some women who work in full fledged careers and meet during weekends and still gossip.Many working women have other work on weekends and do not gossip. Let's not generalize.

Now,coming to the topic.you be a good listener and talk generally.Never take sides or talk about another person.Let the topic be generic.You also need not go to every gathering.You can give some reason once in a while.

blessings1010, prestine and sindmani like this.
  9. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Hey Anika
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't mean to generalize my statement. I do agree with you. Sorry if it hurted you.

anika987 likes this.
  10. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

You don't have to meet them regularly if you don't like them . Gossips, fights, bickering only leads to negativity and nothing good comes out of it no matter how close those friends are . Maybe try meeting them once a month and keep yourself busy with hobbies and other activities rest of the time. Take courses on udemy ,Coursera , YouTube and that should keep you motivated and occupied . Is there something you always wanted to learn and never had the time to pursue ? Now is the time so keep your mind occupied with things you like and you won't have time for negativity. You are lucky to get this break so use it diligently. There is no end to learning .

sindmani likes this.