Unmotivated Coworker

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by corrosion, Mar 11, 2019.

1. corrosion

corrosion Silver IL'ite

That's a good idea. I will document and send to manager and her.

No, I am not in India, nor is she. She works from home but is in the same time zone.

2. corrosion

corrosion Silver IL'ite

I think we all have stopped moaning a while ago because it didn't make any difference. But that just makes it easier for the managers to pretend that everything is alright.. so time to start making noise again.

Our projects are pretty short - usually 3 days to 2 weeks. This was a 2 week project.
    I told my manager after the first 3 days that she is unable to do anything unless I walk her through it which means I do the work... and asked if there is anyone else who can pick this work. He said there is no one else, I have to work with her. The person I had trained before her and who been doing well independently has resigned and he is scrambling to find someone to finish those projects. We are so short staffed.

There is a client demo set up for tomorrow and I asked the PM if we can move it since this is not ready. She said no. So I thought working on it over the weekend was my only option. Should have just cancelled the demo and not asked for permission. :hmmm:

Thanks for your response. Food for thought!

3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

as already pointed out, the inexperience or lack of knowledge is not the real problem but this girl is lying and misleading about the progress of work completed..she should have been frank about difficulties faced and actual progress..
    I have learnt the hard way that what and work we do is of no use unless we get the proper credit for it..if we take up someone else 's work it should be done by request from manager or the person who has been allotted and due credit given...else it's only our efforts and time wasted..and be professional about it, if a resource is not performing well you need to inform manager but in a polite way, maybe she can be reassigned to an easy project which she can do better and give you a different resource to work under you.

Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is the problem. Your manager could not find how to address such issues. The fresh hire is failing at her job yes, but manager is failing at his even more. "I don't know how to solve this." is not acceptable from a manager.
    Not so rare. Each place has its share of slackers or incompetent people. Most manage to hang on for years. Due to managers afraid to do their job, knowing powerful people in upper management, or due to how difficult it is to fire anyone.

corrosion likes this.
  5. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

You have given some more info which makes some of what I said earlier not applicable. I was all along assuming this was a big company with established rules and an hr but seeing how short the projects are I am wondering if this is a smaller shop and run more like a startup with same person wearing many hats. If so then don’t do what I said. It appears the problem is baked in since even manager is unable to cope and there is employee turnover. You should consider all your options. Following the example of your former trainee who saw the lay of the land and jumped ship may not be a bad way to go. In which case hang in there and finish the projects so your good rep is not affected.

corrosion and Needtobestrong like this.