1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

United colors of rice!!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Promilla, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

Life is pretty cool until you yourself don’t venture into something adventurous. When I called one of my friends and broke the news that I am going to participate in a cookery competition she was dumbfounded. She said that she is coming over to my place in ten minutes. Why? But before replying that wondrous question she dropped the phone.

My introspection started did I say something alarming? Why she said that she is coming after a long pause? Before I could get the answers from my deep conscious she was there. Dangling her car keys and looking at me as if she was looking at a new patient with a strange disease, she hugged me.

‘How are you feeling?’ She asked in a very concerned voice. I was feeling great and I told her so. She looked perplexed.

‘I am so excited, you know for this cookery competition.’

‘And what are you going to cook for this cookery competition?’

Good question.

‘Don’t know, but don’t worry, I will think something.’ I said with enthusiasm.

‘When is the competition?’

‘It is on 13th.’

‘And today is?’

‘Don’t know, why are you asking so many questions??’

‘Because damn fool its 12th today and you don’t even know what are you going to cook?’ She was shouting.

OMG!!! I took a deep breath. What’s the big deal? I can do it.

‘Is it a sweet dish, main course or snacks?’

‘Hmm… don’t know. But the notice said something ‘with main ingredient rice.’

‘And what experiments are you going to do with rice, which no one did
    before? Listen you are a great cook but cooking in the kitchen and doing it in front of many people is not easy.’

‘But they said we could bring the dish cooked from home.’

‘Still, darling this is not easy.’

‘I called you to give me some suggestions and you are discouraging me?’

‘No, on the contrary I am giving you one suggestion…Drop your name from that.’

‘No way.’

‘OK. My duty done. If you want to, then go ahead.’

‘Thank you.’

She was agitated and I was little apprehensive. We started from kheer, pulav, biryani and whatnot. But what was so unique about it? Any women can do that. Finally we just had tea, talked a lot and forgot about the competition.

Our ladies association decided to hold its first cookery competition for mason’s wives. We were told to use rice as the main ingredient. I promptly gave my name, because in deepest region of my heart I had this notion that I am a good cook. And after that I forgot about it completely. Other friends who were participating started calling in and I remembered that I have also given my name.

Sangita said that she is making Ghanne ke ras ki kheer. That was something, which I never heard of. So this was surely a win - win entry. Aruna said she is making Firni, Simi was making lemon rice. Ab mere liye kya bacha? Kuch nahi.

‘And what are you making?

‘I don’t know’ my heart started sinking for the first time.

‘I know you would come up with something interesting.’

‘I hope so..’

My enthusiasm was dying slowly. This was a Baisakhi meet, so we were expecting many guests. I was putting up a stall of eatery too so I started making arrangements for that. Competition taking a backseat for a while.

So it as 13th. I cooked everything for the stall and when I was free I started thinking of contest. Backing up at eleventh hour was not my cup of tea. So I started fixing up things. It has to be something like pulav, biryani but with extra ordinary touch.

I cooked three colored rice, separately. Green, using boiled palak, yellow with haldi, and white just plain boiled rice. Using all the ingredients and skills I made something resembling biryani. Then I put it in layers in my heart shaped cake tin. Covered it with foil and packed with my other things for the stall.

We were late when we reached the venue. It was looking wonderful. Music, stalls and lots of people, splendidly decorated tent with lots of flowers and colorful chunni’s hanging aesthetically. I rushed to the stall, which was allotted to me and started arranging my things. Friends gathered around to help and all was done perfectly. There were announcements going on which was just disappearing in the blasting music. We too were laughing and having a great evening.

‘Mommy this is the last call for keeping your dish for the contest.’ Daughter came running with my other contestant friends.

I ran to the place where all entries were laid. My breath stopped. It was a marvelous site. Beautiful display of participants entries, With finest of cutlery and crockery. I was almost fainted to see the Recipe names printed or painted on the finest papers. I ran to get my dish, which was forgotten and still in that cake tin. How stupid I could be? There was nothing on which I could display my dish. Keeping as it is on the table was out of question. I looked everywhere but alas!! Nothing was there. 20 participants standing with their splendid dishes with a smile and me the 21st contestant still looking around for something on which I could display my dish. With a frantic search I saw a Chaat papdi stall and his silver paper plates piled up in one corner. I ran to him and with a loud ‘excuses me’ picked a medium sized plate (that was the only size available with him) and turned my rice dish upside down on that plate. It looked like a three colored cake!!

‘Promilla where is the written recipe?’ Exclaimed someone.

‘What? Am I supposed to keep that too?’

‘Yeah all the participants have kept their recipes, neatly typed and decorated with their dishes.’ This was my daughter again.

I looked around, time was ticking fast and with all hopes lost I saw my hubby, who was watching my distress with his friends. He came to me, kept his hands on my shoulder and whispered in my ear “never mind, better luck next time.” I gave him a killer look. I felt like a looser. But prize or no prize, I ran with my dish, balancing that paper plate with utmost caution and stood on number 21. I saw four judges starting from number one, tasting, asking questions and approving whatever they were tasting. Pulling a paper sheet from somewhere I wrote down my recipe. Now the big question…what is the name of the dish? I saw judges on Number 19, with fluttering heart I looked around for help but everyone was busy in watching judges, two ladies and two gentlemen who were the chief chefs of two five star hotels. I saw my son standing with his friends and my eyes caught the big caption on his T-shirt…UNITED COLORS OF BENETTON. And voila!!!!! I got the name of recipe, UNITED COLORS OF RICE!!!!!!!!!! The moment I kept it down near my pathetic looking presentation, I saw judges smiling at me. By that time I was mentally exhausted. But with my sweetest smile I started answering their questions. It was fun.

‘Wow!! What a name for the dish!’ Quipped one of the judges.

‘Very thoughtful.’ Nodded the other one.

It was the last entry so they stood there for more time, meanwhile tasting and making funny sounds. Thankfully all the judges were non-vegetarian so they tasted and said that they would announce results in a while. The dish was gone in minutes, people were tasting and appreciating. Me, my family and my close pals no one even tasted that dish because nothing was left. But I was happy that it was not disasters as my effort. I learnt my lesson that day…Cooking is not the only thing, presentation too means a lot. But is it?

And when the results were announced I was pleasantly shocked. I got the first prize. When I went to dice for the prize I saw my hubby clapping the loudest.!! So it was a bhalle bhalle experience for me on that Baishakhi.

Incidentally, I again participated in a cookery contest after three months, organized by the Indian Oil in my city. It was a huge contest with 48 participants with their best dishes. I cooked the same dish United colors of Rice with saag muttonwala and got the second prize.

So friends It was fun and learning new things and above all recognition for the thing which you do everyday without appreciation. So do everything for the pleasure of doing it. Get going.

[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations Pramila.... Appreciate your confidence...

3. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

Thanks a ton dear Tulip..it was fun:))
    Cheers
    promilla

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congrats Promilla....

United Colors of Rice.... what quick thinking!!

love
    Akila

5. rnp1112

rnp1112 Bronze IL'ite

good one ! liked it sooo much !

6. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

It was quite quick Akila:))
    Thanks a lot dear
    Bless the UCB:))
    Love
    promilla

7. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

Thanks a bunch mp:))
    Cheers
    promilla

8. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Loved the named! :) Good thinking.

Esp. liked what you wrote at the end
    Yes, it is so very important in anything you do in life

9. Promilla

Promilla Senior IL'ite

Thanks a bunch Gayathri...yes, I did it for simple pleasure of the things:))
    Love
    promilla

10. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

cool! Congrats! Very thoughtful indeed :)

But Promila, do increase your font size please. i had tough time reading, so simply copy-pasted the stuff to a notepad and finished reading !