1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unique!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, May 30, 2012.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Recently we shifted to a new house, to reduce my time of travel and to be closer to the play school to which we admitted our kid. The house is an old one, aged at least half or even more of the age of the house owner, who happened to be in early eighties. There are definitely a few advantages here, which include high ceilings, plenty of windows and spacious lofts and shelves like the minds of the people of that age.

When we moved in and started exploring the covered almirahs [by long old wooden doors, varnished nicely], we were satisfied that we could keep all our things in them. One of the doors of those in the master bedroom did not open, how much ever hard we tried. I thought it must have been the paint / varnish that made it to stick to the ends of the shelves inside. Concerned about whether we would cause a damage to the door, I called the house owner and informed about it. The almirah being talland spacious, should have definitely been used earlier.

He said that he would arrange to send a carpenter shortly. A middle aged carpenter came after 2 days and started inspecting the wooden door. Then he tried pulling it with force, without any luck. I smiled and left to attend a call. When I came back, the door was wide ajar. "How did you open it?", I asked him, really surprised. He said in a choking voice. "Run your fingers on the side of the door, Sir!". I did and found a small brass knob, so small that it fit within the groove of the door's side. "It was locked, Sir. Thats why, it did not open!", he said.

"Wow! Thats wonderful!", I said, realizing the craftsmanship of the person who did it. "The carpenter who made this should have been really good!", I said. "Yes, he was! Everything he made had something unique to it!", he said. "What? You know him then?", I asked incredulously.

"Its my father! See his initials carved out in the groove!", he said, running his fingers delicately along.

2. charmbabez

charmbabez Gold IL'ite

Place reserved SIR :) will be back finishing my work .

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The pride of the carpenter is so palpable in his choked voice.... and so is his love for his dad is also with the caressing the initials on the door!! A real proud son who remembers his dad with such love and respect!!

Good one rgs!

Akila

4. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Wow.... very nice Rgs..

I still admire theold age almirahs and i remember seeing one in teak wood in my granny's place and we used to always peek into it whenever granny opened the same. The way it was designed to hold everything for the lady...like a rod to put all the bangles and lots of rods where the sarees could be slipped on..a place to keep all the blouses... I still envy that almirah.. though I have a big ward robe which was specifically designed for my use...still i miss that... :)

Thanks Rgs for taking me down the memory lane :)

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for summing that up nicely Akila. Very glad to receive your feedback. -rgs

6. rgsrinivasan

Glad to see that you felt nostalgic after reading this post Lalitha. Thanks a lot for your nice feedback. -rgs

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

A nice blog. The best and touching part is son saying about his dad 'Everything he made has something unique to it!" And running his fingers delicately along on his dad's initials. How proud he is of his father! That shows his love and respect for him....touchy.

Syamala

8. rgsrinivasan

Thanks a lot Syamala, for your nice feedback. Very happy to receive your motivating note as well. -rgs

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks. I will wait for your feedback CharmBabez. -rgs

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear RGS,

The workmanship of the earlier generation is incomparable. Even if he had learned it properly from his dad, it would be difficult to have that kind of finish. Their commitment and devotion to work are very unique. No wonder he admired his dad's work and probably one or two tricks he learned from him helped him to resolve opening the door.

Viswa