1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Unique gift ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anjana, Apr 3, 2006.

1. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILites,
    We have a dear family who will be going back to India[for good],in couple of weeks. The question here is what would be a unique gift for them to take back home. I was thinking about some good paintings,sculptures,but may be that will be bulky as carry on luggage. Any good suggestions and ideas are welcome.
    Thanks in advance,
    Looking forward to some good ones.
    Anjana.

2. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Hello Anjana

U could think of giving something in Silver.....like small silver lamp(velakku) or mangle-kumkumam holder set in silver....or maybe a show-piece in silver.......try going window-shopping one day and then u can decide on what to get....

Regds,
    Jay

3. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

It's the thought that counts!

That is a very nice thought Anjana. I have no idea as to how much you want to spend. But it is the thought that counts and you want to give them a memory to take with and keep forever. With that in mind, I find a neat photo frame with a picture of you all together would be something nice. If not, you can also prepare a small album with photos you might have taken together or that of your kids with small comments written on it.

L, Kamla

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2006
  4. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Thanks

Hi Kamala & Jay,
    Made a note of your suggestions. Both were good. Will see if I get vellakus in Indian stores.Kamala you are always quick to respond. Will keep you posted.
    Love and regards,
    Anjana.

5. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Anjana - for unique gifts

Hi Anjana,

It is good to know that you are receiving some good gift ideas from our members.

You may be aware that we recently launched the Shopping section in our IndusLadies website. So if you think of buying Online, think of buying via IndusLadies.

Take a look at these Shopping Pages (It can also be located via Shopping menu on top of all pages in the site)

Stores by Category

Stores Alphabetical Listing

Latest & Popular Deals

Happy Shopping [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2006
  6. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Buy items that's not easily available in India!

Hi Anjana,

I would suggest you to gift them by buying items that are not easily available in India. Even if available, if the quality does not match for the price you pay getting it in India, then it will be a gift with more value of money as well as utilitarian.

Few things which come to my mind are...

Farberware Knife sets, Pfaltzgraff Dinnerware sets, other Tableware sets like Flatware Cutlery sets, Drinkware & Glassware sets, Ceramic / Crystal / Glass vases

In my opinion, such items are still considered to be posh items and not easily available for affordable prices in India. While, here in the US you can look out for good deals and buy them.

Always, buying such items to our families & friends back in India have been very much appreciated.

I always keep looking out for good deals in the above item categories in Amazon.com. Even now there are some good Spring Deals - like 25 to 50% off, $25 off on orders more than $100, etc.

Hope my suggestions are of some help.

Rohini

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010
  7. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Laxmi and Rohini

Hi,
    Thanks to both of you. Laxmi I did overlook the shopping thread.Will look into the suggested sites and keep you posted if I do buy from them.
    Rohini those ideas were great and will make a note of it. I am sure dinnerware will be of use. Will look into amazon and also some outlet malls this weekend.

Thanks to you both.
    Anjana.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010
  8. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

hi anjana,

here in US variety of crystal show pieces are available, when compared crystals are very expensive in India. if u are interested go for crystal gifts....

regards,
    surya.