1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

ungrateful kids

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by oyster, May 19, 2011.

1. oyster

oyster New IL'ite

Seriously, what is wrong with kids these days. One understands that they have more exposure and are more intelligent but what I witnessed the other day really left me questioning if parents are right to sacrifice so much for their kids.
    One of my relatives, a well educated woman has done all she could for her children even to the extent of sacrificing her career so that she coud personally look into all aspects of her childrens education. The husband had a touring job and was out most of the time. The lady held her family together all these years .The kids are succesful today, one in IIT and the other doing medicine. The mother should get some credit,right but no. These very kids treat her as if she is dirt and call her good for nothing as she does not have a job, she is supposed to be outdated even though she is the one who moulded them. I could go on and on at how badly she is treated. I can vouch for the lady's goodness and I know she does not deservr so much verbal abuse.
    Can anyone suggest what i can do to make her feel even a little bit better even though I kno nothing can compensate her for this

2. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

Mothers need to create a respectable boundary around them, never sacrifice your Carrer for kids, cutting back on hours for few years till kids are in middle school is ok beyond that it is not helpful, infact kids will respect if you have your own life, job and circle when they are grown up rather than depending on them emotionally.

3. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

I feel so sorry for those kids who do not understand that what they are today is because of their Mom. But some day they will learn a lesson, what goes around comes around.

I can only say, encourage your friend to mingle with friends and involve herself in her own social circle. She should try to be busy and if possible do some social activities.

What about her husband? He should stop his kids from talking nonsense about their mother and reprimand them for forgetting what she did for them.

4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    i hope your friend is not the clingy sort who does not realise that her kids are grown up young adults........often seen in mothers who claimed they 'sacrificed 'career for kids..........forgetting that the kid was never consulted about the career decision & it was she who took the decision.

or the bossy mother who still wants to run the life of a child as she did when the child was baby . nowadays even toddlers love independence & every aware mother tries to make child independent regardless of face that she is working or not..............

whatever the case its high time she took a health look at herself & tries to make herself busy without the adolsencent kids.......she need not seek their approval in anything she does..it must be for her own satisfication
    pragati

5. Monakumar

Monakumar Senior IL'ite

Each of us is first an individual, then only other roles are coming into play. We need to lead our life satisfied and contended.

As a mother she has completed her job 100% or more than that. Then why should she bother about this useless complaints or so mean comments. She has to be a proud mother.

If she is financially depending on these kids, then I feel pity for her. As parents we have to do our duties without expectations and need to save money for our old age. To safeguard her self esteem she needs to get involve herself in helping people who are truely in need.

Leaving job doesn't matter but wasting her whole life on these ungrateful kids its really a pain for a mother. These kids will learn good lesson from their own blood.

Last edited: May 20, 2011