1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

underweight baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by prats16, Nov 20, 2013.

1. prats16

prats16 New IL'ite

Hi All,
    My daughter is 14 months old now and weighs only 8.3 kgs. The doctor has asked me to give her fatty food in her diet. But, my daughter is just denies to eat.
    What is the ideal weigth a 14 month gal should be?
    My daughter was 3.3 birt weight.
    How should i change her diet so that she puts on lil weight?

Please help, I am worried.

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

One mistake I've seen several mums make is give their child a lot of milk. Milk is too bulky and clogs up the stomach but doesn't have sufficient calories. Check with your doctor the right amount of milk for your toddler and then proceed.

I gave my dd about 120 to 150 ml 3 times a day then plus yoghurt and cheese to ensure her calcium needs were met. For a while she wasn't eating enough, when I reduced the amount of milk, consumption of other foods went up...

3. Paruchava

Paruchava Bronze IL'ite

For 14 months ideal weight may be 10kgs

4. throughmysenses

throughmysenses New IL'ite

3.3 Kg is a pretty good Birth Weight as per Indian Standards. Ideally, a Baby should be 3 times of his/her Birth weight at 12 Months. From 12 Months onwards, the weight gain can be as less as 10% of 1st Year. This is because the increased Mobility & Environmental awareness among Babies. A few queries before answering-

Her weight at 6 Months
    Her weight at 12 Months
    Current Diet Plan.
    Any significant illnesses so far
    Ur ethnicity (the Region u hail from. It would help me to suggest the Diet plan)

Thanks & stop worrying :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. krsnakeerthi

krsnakeerthi New IL'ite

Dont worry too much about the weight. My DD has always been a picky eater and was not even anywehre on the growth chart. I used to be like you and even posted here for suggestions. My experience is it gets better over time. You keep trying to give her good healthy food. As long as she is healthy and reached her milestones dont worry too much.

What my ped suggested was:
    1) Cut down the milk and give more healthy food
    2) Feed in regular intervals like every 2-3 hours. If this does not work then feed good amount of food three times a day- break fast, lunch and dinner and snacks inbetween.
    3) Make sure the child has atleast 2 hours of nap and a healthy sleeping pattern.

Avacodo, adding coconut oil to food are some ways to increase calories. I used to add butter to a tawa and add cheerios/ gold fish crakers to it and saute for a few mins till the butter was observed and give it as snack to my DD.