1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Under Whose Name To Buy The Property...???

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by frndlysgp, Jun 25, 2018.

1. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I did not mean to imply that the couple should plan with divorce in mind. Let me try to clarify:
    These days, women have dynamic careers and high earning potential, but that does not guarantee an equal relationship. In fact, it may threaten marital stability for a variety of reasons. In an Indian context, questions about 'whose name is on what' come up for two main reasons - the first is as an attempt to gauge the tenor of the relationship, i.e. the meddlers are trying to figure out who wears the pants in the marriage; second, they are trying to figure out whether both partners are equally committed or if one is self-protective. Even a genuinely caring family member or spouse may perceive sole ownership as distancing.

I brought up divorce to point out that for property acquired after marriage, the name on the deed may not be the sole determinant of who gets to assert full ownership. So, in a certain sense, it does not matter. A healthy marriage benefits from fair play. The couple has to figure out what that might mean for them and work out the percent split on their expenses, investments, savings, and housework - and also the name(s) on the deed.

yellowmango likes this.
  3. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

I kind of think it’s good under your name but I feel it would be best under both names...u guys have wonderful story how your building it together y not this home too..just saying!!

4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Ideally after marriage,it should be on joint names of the couple irrespective of who is paying and how much.

But considering the two families ,this is the best option.

Like the fact that she is paying back her parents and not taking their help for granted.

She can have her husband as her nominee.

Quite understandable her inlaws asked .....in their own way they are looking out for their son's interest and their own interest too.

They think they are protecting their son's interest from the dil ....but who will protect the son's interest from them.

As long as it was a one time query....it should be fine .