1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Uncommon Summer Activities For Kids In U.s.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, May 27, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wikipedia Contributor: I knew that editing wikipedia pages is allowed and fairly straight-forward, but didn't realize each editable page has an Edit option at top right. Would make a nice activity to do in the summer in short spans of few minutes whenever interested. I just checked wikipedia page for biryani and it needs editing. :blush: While teachers do not let children cite wikipedia as a source in school projects, it remains a good resource and often read by children. Most would like to edit it, and see themselves as a contributor to such a great resource.

Wikipedia:WikiGnome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wikipedia Pattern: the very young editor
    Wikipedia:Contributing to Wikipedia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jey and butterflyice like this.
  2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

In our subarban City " teen short film contest" happened. Now as filming is cheap with digital world and so much possibilities to learn like filming, editing etc. Parents can introduce kids to this area. If kid is good story teller he or she can excell in it I feel. I myself very interested in this area. I have to see when I can put time in this area

Another one is " teen photography contest." Happening here. Kids can explore photography to depth,

As it is summer, lot of events/festivals happening, kids can see selling some of their art or craft work here with renting a tent. Ex , a girl went to Italy to visit their relatives, she did paintings, later she photographed them and made copies, and made them as greeting cards and selling it to 5 $.

Jey and Rihana like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

This is a great idea! In fact I loved all the ideas in your post.
    I have a question. How many Indian kids have you seen engaged in these activities? We always stick out whenever we visit such festivals, I like to believe that my suburb is the exception than the norm :)

Induslady and KashmirFlower like this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

That is why it is "uncommon summer activities " as title of the thread says
    Jokes apart.

How kids will know if parents don't introduce them to any kind of activity? Otherwise kids friends might be doing something and they talk about it so our kid shows interest and asks about it, and we encourage them but my kid is 3 year I don't know how easy or difficult to make kids do such things, they have to have enthusiasm then they can try all

sravanitenali likes this.
  5. Rihana

A big fat book.

A summer vacation is not complete without a big fat book that the child is not crazy about to begin with. We had Wren & Martin that used to gather dust, until one hot afternoon, we took it out and made some game with the sentences. There was also some essay book. Then, one house in the neighborhood had the Encyclopedia Britannica. We also had collections of mail magazines like Sputnik, German News. These remain a vivid contrast in mind to the more pleasurable reading of Amar Chitra Katha comics, Wodehouse, Agatha Christie, Enid Blyton's and more. OK this is becoming a snippet, back to the 'big fat book' for current times.

College Board publishes an annual thick book called "College Board Book of Majors." It has list of practically all majors that can be pursued, along with info about the education required, job prospects and more. Can be surprisingly fascinating to discover careers and jobs one would never think of. Get an older one, like 2013 issue, for cheap, and have it on the table. Read it now and then. Open a random page and discover. Or, from the library.

Also, interesting to watch the play of expressions across face of desi friends who drop by, as they espy the book on the table. :sunglasses:

6. Rihana

The Gift of Boredom

Seriously. We live in a time where if a child is bored or not happy with current activity, we immediately, in an almost Pavlovian manner, offer choices of do this, that, that or that... LOL child ends up offered more palatable choices than adults contemplating the ballot in an election booth.

Let the child be bored. Even, make for time for the child to feel bored. A lot of discovery and self discovery and conversations happen when a child is sufficiently (but not overly) bored.

Mehana, Vaikuntha, rmpriya and 3 others like this.
  7. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Double like for this!

8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread with good tips. You know what this summer my kids decided to do? eat sleep and catch up on all TV shows they missed the whole year. Last summer younger one was doodling rangolis.
    Still I have some plans to sneak in a course for both this year. Let me see who succeeds.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Summer League Swim Team

The joy and value of being in a summer league swim team has to be experienced. Kids learn the usual stuff of doing any sports. They learn sportsmanship, being part of a team and realizing that there is no winning member in a losing team.

Because of the unique structure of a summer swim league - daily practice with weekly races, it teaches them the idea and the process of self-improvement. There is a measurable goal - your swim time in a weekly race. You work on improving various things - diving, turning, kicking, breathing - and see how that increases your speed. You also learn how to self-diagnose. After each race, kids introspect and understand what went wrong so they work on improving it. These are super-valuable skills in life.

Rihana and KashmirFlower like this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Selling on Nextdoor might be safer than on Craigslist, especially if it involves youngsters.

Summer 2016 activity? Pokémon Go! :neutral:

jskls likes this.