1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Uncommon Summer Activities For Kids In U.s.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, May 27, 2016.

1. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

our local city newspaper, (free ones, i dont know who throws at the doorsteps every thursday, all community gets those) has garage sale section also. some ads are several homes doing together. i thought how all selling at a time. now i get some idea on this, how they are posting that ads,.

Rihana likes this.
  2. KashmirFlower

i do that almost everyday, but not movie, but watching baby channel , :angry:. whatever tv is watched now at my home, is only by my 3-year old , it is in that channel only for past few days.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Excellent thread. Great job @Rihana for starting this at the right time. Adding mine.

Explore the city you live in
    - There are so many interesting things in the city we live in. What we found practical was to research a few and do a full-day schedule. It is so much fun and memorable. You find out there are so many eclectic things. For example, in Austin, we found out something called "Cathedral of Junk" where - for 25 years - a guy has been building an artistic structure made of junk.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Touch Typing - typing without looking at the keyboard. It is a key skill and unless child is already typing really fast, and using mostly correct fingers, it is worth spending 10-15 minutes 4-5 times a week on this. For helping kid to master this skill, stay away from the gamification of learning - avoid software and websites that make it 'fun' and have 'games', 'treasure hunts' and too many rewards. Something simpler like basic typing worksheets is better, such as these:
    Keyboarding / Practice Sheets
    Free typing tutor online with free typing lessons.

Initial 2-3 weeks may be tough to motivate child, but after that when they start to see benefits, it gets easier to get them to practice.

They learn it in school too, but the kids are mostly on their own while doing so, sitting in front of computer with a software. And time devoted to it is less. In some states, I believe some parts of the standardized testing are also administered through iPads or Chromebooks.

jskls and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the info Rih

Evils :shakehead:

6. KashmirFlower

It may not be new to kids in usa but want to add.
    Making them interested in kitchen stuff based on age, cooking, baking , cutting veg to arranging /grouping closets properly .

Small kids can do omlet, warming milk, mixing floors for baking , and baking veggies.

Older kids who can really be near stove can cook simple meals, which held them in near future.

It is imp to be aware of what a healthy home cooked meal can have positive effect on overall wellbeing of a person.

(My h 's nephew staying at our place, I said to make rice for himself, rice cooker in dish washer , which is still running. as he came Late and sometimes he will not come at night. So I didn't do , as last 3 nights I had to put remaining rice in garbage in the morning.

He asked how long it takes to finish dishwasher, I said it takes some more time, but u can do on stove top. He said he doesn't know! He asked me how to do it? What to say for this kind of people. Yea, same nephew, from my last year thread, if u remember

Rihana likes this.
  7. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Very nice and interesting thread Rihana!!

In our home we enroll our almost 8yr old DS in summer day camp in our county recreation center where they have lot of activities during the weeks..

- Other than that we take him to local library for chess class every week during summer.
    - Encourage him to clean up his closet/study room
    - Family yard work
    - camping and trekking with friends.
    - Weekly Sloka class for the kids in our community.

These are the few which we planned for this summer

Rihana likes this.
  8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Something for older kids...couple of summers ago..DS wanted a computer for himself...we gave a budget to DS..asked him to find out what he could find for that amount...then dangled a carrot...what if he built his own...?
    He spent some time researching and quickly realized he could customize a much better one for that amount . So there it was 6 weeks of his summer .well spent. ..this might need some help from parents..but its an over all fun family project.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    butterflyice and Rihana like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is a very good idea. We did it too last winter. It was a fun family project, sharing a google spreadsheet, packages arriving everyday, me insisting on video recording some of the assembly of workstation, and the child who is computer hardware challenged asking odd questions, like 'But where is the monitor?' when we said 'All done.'

Actually, this is something that can be extended - if kid is not happy with internet speed, or wi-fi or computer fan is turning on too often during video heavy games, have child figure out the fix (with some help).

10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Nice thread. Apart from the regular classes, I taught my DD to memorize Thirukkural in last summer. Many people may ask what is the use of making them memorize kural. Not all the things are done for some monetary purposes. Thirukkural may broaden their vision of life and ofcourse improve their memory power.
    I am planning to teach countries and capitals as a game.

butterflyice and Rihana like this.