1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Unborn Writers Society

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Manjureddy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

When Kushwant Singh passed away, my Friend and I had a long , transatlantic chat that flashed back to long forgotten days...... How we adored that toxic "lecher" in the light bulb who gleefully slaughterd Holy Cows with malice towards one and all ! How we revered his irreverent earthy humour and acerbic wit !
    And, how when we wanted tuition in composing incisive, unsentimental prose that still packed an emotional punch, we always turned to his Train To Pakistan.

Why we needed such tuition will be the grist milled in this post .

We go way, way back, Friend and I. To antediluvian , alphabet learning days. We were together when we discovered , in organic progression, Mother Goose, Enid Blyton , Louisa May Alcott, Georgette Heyer, Erica Jong , Sylvia Plath , Anita Desai, ......alright, we did read male storytellers too ; them and their braggartly posturing with Rye fields and Motorcycle maintainance and pig Farms and carpetbags and fornicating stepfathers . Ok stuff, but nothing to "Discover" in them. But Writing flowing out of feminine psyches were Discoveries for us. Friend and I would burst at the seams with inspiration and inflamed zeal as we returned the overdue library books : 'Thats how we think too ! If they can author , why cant we ? "

It was a pathbreaking Discovery for girls brought up in a certain milieu of a certain epoch, with certain indoctrinations , to open eyes to possibilities beyond conditioned certainties. Thats how we, Friend and I , conceived our shared Grand Illusion , that we too could be WRITERS ! As in "English language novelists."

Before the vagaries of our young life could remedy this mental twitch, Friend and I put a resolute pencil to paper of superannuated diaries ,jointly and severally, and started producing masterpieces titled " Mystery of the Burnt Cottage Cheese" , "Rise and Fall of the Third Leech" and " Under the Sandalwood Tree" ......

While our infantile output had been humoured by our adult minders, our later, post -adolescent exertions were frowned upon as waste of time and energy, best discouraged . Or better diverted towards more useful attainments like playing stringed instruments , cooking the perfect poricchakoottu or mastering the Qwerty keys. We were , at least I was, ordered to stop spinning yarns, in short order .

But Friend and I, faithful to our ancient oath, went underground, so to speak, to continue working on our wicked designs . There was tremulous excitement in defiance and secrecy. We worked hard . No one could accuse us of prefunctory effort.

The first taste of victory came when Friend got a small item ( called a "Middle" in newspaper parlance ) published in the market-leading newspaper . She was, as I was, just 19 ! And did it make a splash in our ghetto !
    After congratulating her, polishing off her laddoo treats and heartily wishing her greater successes, my parents lost no time dinning some solid parental advise into me, once out of her earshot : I was not to get star-struck by such flashes in the pan . or make reckless choices in life at the instigation of my spoilt Friend. And I had better focus my attention on getting a decent Degree which would help me land either a decent husband or a halfway decent government job. Which I finally never got. I mean the degree and the job.( But acquired a more than decent husband, willynilly, in due time ).

However that may be, I refused to unfriend the "misguiding"Friend, whose maiden Middle was quickly followed by a one page story in a Woman's magazine , a home-improvement article in the local eveninger and two Letters to the Editor. Five in all. Handsome harvest ! It gave us the strength to assume she was now , truly and wholly, a Writer ! And , as is the wont of selfrespecting Writers, she gave up chasing after minor trophies and started planning for The Grand Novel , a Labour of Love. A Magnum Opus at the conception stage itself. Ably and tirelessly assisted by her bosom buddy , me, who was to be named Co-Author.

We drafted an outline of epic proportions to pack in humour, romance, social message, crime, misunderstandings , triumph of Spirit, mystery , human interest and feel good factors, a bit of period politics ...... . We gorged ourselves on thesaurus pages for vocabulary, Regency Romances for the art, Kushwant Singh and Erma Bombeck for the craft, The Mahabharatha for the stuffing. She bought an expensive ReadersDigest tome titled " How to Speak Better and Write Better " and we started speaking better . As for the Writing , its difficult to say if jotted down telegraphic notes can, in any way, become better or worse.

We had a whale of time choosing a Title. It had to be an attention grabber in addition to being charged with "layers of meaning" .
    And names for the characters. We just couldnt see our precious protagonist ( definitely female ) being called by any of the common two-syllabic-cutie names so popular in movies at that time. We listed remembered experiences that we would use to flesh out her personality . Autobiographic material made best raw material for believable stories .
    We made a covenant that our primary male character shall not be tall, dark, handsome and byronic .......

Ideas and lists and dialogue drafts and references.......
    The 100 page note book , crammed with these , the seeds of our magnificent creation, was stored in her wardrobe, under her box of bobbypins, where no censorious hand of any prying parent could reach it.
    And there it sat gestating, cuddled and fattened by us . With feverish frequency at first ; by and by, at progressively ....lengthening ........intervals...........

It is still in gestation . With elephantine endurance. Now she is, as I am, on the wrong side of 30 . You do know , numbers 31 to 99 are on the wrong side of 30 , but lets not dwell on unimportant vitae now. Whats of relevance to this post is that Friend is now a Foreign Passport holding homemaker of a confused diasporic family , dividing her valuable me-time between an Outreach programme and a No Profit Foundation saving endangered heritage grains. So passionate about the latter is she that you'd think horsetail millets held the key to rescuing a world teetering on the brink of selfdestruction. With all her passion so spent, where's the time to nurture our first unborn ? But she herself is quite positive that One day, Some day, Any day now, The Book will give birth to itself as a scintillating exposition of technical and linguistic excellence , unputdownable for plot and unforgettable for execution . I wait .

In the meantime, I am trying to grapple with the amazing new language she now expresses herself in , one which can offer the whole Jean Christophe experience in 140 characters.

While the ingredients of her proposed literary feast hibernate in some remote cold-storage , her partner in crime has come into some wisdom of her own. Constantly encouraged / badgered by her, I did despatch my little independent creations to newspapers and magazines accompanied by " return envelope and postage stamps , for use if needed" . They were always needed and used.
    It was only after achieving a respectable collection of elegantly worded rejection slips from an assortment of addresses that I finally saw what my dear mother had always tried to point out to me. That I could have used Time better. My poricchakoottu sucks.

18 people like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for a wonderful walk down memory lane. And down childhood bookshelves.... down school classrooms as we moved from one grade to another... one English teacher to another... one Illustrated Weekly issue to another...

Every girl should have a co-conspirator like you, and every girl and her co-conspirator should have a book-in-progress waiting somewhere... while the girls turned women attend to non-profits and poricchakoottu's.

4 people like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

What a lovely write up Manju! I am sure there are many who would fit in easily into your Unborn writers society, just that I am not sure how many of us have a friend like you or your friend. Those days, those friendships are amazing. While my expressive skills in writing were limited to some essay competitions every now and then, like you I don't remember my parents or extended family going ooh aah over what I had won in fact. It was simply put aside as one more teen phase I was going through. But I tell you, I am a better mother though (even if I say so myself) and I constantly encourage them to write, illustrate and have fun with their pen and paper. It is for me amazing to see how DS thinks so differently from DD but I am painstakingly collecting their 'literary work' in the hope that I can make a good small book even if self published one day and give to them!

Okay enough about me, your writing - simply awesome brings such warmth and such a smile on one's face, I tell you should encourage your friend to publish the book with the co- author and I promise you that I will buy it with even blinking an eye lid. Oh how I would love to read something that is so natural....coming from those young girls at that age! It would be such a treasure!

PS: We (I certainly am!) are super glad that you peep in here with your writing every now and then and we do get to read you more. Thank you for that!

2 people like this.
  4. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Rihana
    thank you so much.
    Those days were real magic , werent they ! How easily we made friiends and how readily we accepted any idiosyncracy among us !
    My friend was the more writerly type, she was obsessed with becoming a writer . It used to rub off on me.
    How well you put it ! As idealistic girls turn into accomodating women , abandoning girlish dreams, its always a nice to think that there will be other little girls, enjoying similar childhood adventures .........

5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Oh Srama,
    you sweet creature ! Are you for real ? I just love the fact that you collect your kids handiwork as loving mementos ! They will be much more precious when your kids are no longer kids.....
    its not that our parents did not know how to appreciate or encourage the interests of their children. Just that, in those days, life meant something totally different to them, they were more concerned with " settling " the daughters in time honoured, tradition satisfying ways. Writing stories certainly did not figure high in the list of what young women needed to do. Writing, at the most, was only a side amusement fir housewives!
    Lol ! Thanks for the advance booking on our book. Once we succeed in locating that notebook, we will know if our great novel is indeed what we thought it to be, or some tripe , like the screen play of a C grade movie ! We are now old enough to know !

thank you very much for your gracious words, Srama. Very happy that you enjoyed reading.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Manju,

Those thoughts are precious enough as a younger (Look I am careful to use the word "Younger" instead of "Young) Manju's dream. To have a companion like your friend to dream together is even more precious.

You are being so practical knowing over a period of elapsed time in your life that priorities do change. But what really matters was how well you executed your dreams during each phase of your life.

The above statement speaks volume of self confidence you and your friend had. I am a big believer that end results does not matter as long as I have dreams and I learn how to execute them. I learn more in the process of construction of my dreams than realizing my dreams. How I felt when executing my dreams is more important than how much recognition I received.

I have so much respect for how you both wanted to be a writer and how you executed your dreams despite no encouragement. The results of your dream is showing up in every post you make here in IL and we gratefully acknowledge that we are the beneficiaries.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Manjureddy,

I had lot of smiles while reading your snippet.

I do not understand why our parents praise us as if we are next to Shakespeare or Milton when they see our ramblings when as children. But the same parents think it is a waste of time when we write as teenagers! May be it is for encouraging us they do it when little but later they realize our capabilities and think it is a waste of time. Same with singing and other fine arts also. In singing they praise as if we are mini Subbulakshmis and Picassos in painting. But one thing is sure. We were extremely happy when they praised us and grumpy when they discourage. How I behave with my children. I guess I do the same thing which my parents did!
    Your language and style of writing is great!
    Thank you.

Syamala

2 people like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Manju dear I cant express like others what I feel. I am still learning to write , thanks to IL that I am able to write something. You are a great writer and now we know how you became a great writer. Your friend is lucky to have you as a friend .

Your post brought memories of my son's wish to become a great writer during his teenage days. He wanted to learn and I also got him books from Australia . He used to write stories and poems in his teenage days but once he started working he had less time for writing.

1 person likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju,

What a wonderful tribute to the irrepressible Sardar! You have really done him proud and I am sure he must be delighted to read this from wherever he is!

You were certainly blessed to have a partner-in-crime like your friend. I too had some very dear friends - have, I should say now - with whom I got up to various kinds of stuff in the summer holidays. Putting up plays and pretending we were the famous five were our pet activities. Though I was a voracious reader, I never showed any particular talent in writing. Which is a shame really, because I was told by "time-pass" palmists that I would earn through writing. Yes, I do still write on a black-board - or may be I should say white board - to earn my living whenever I feel morally obliged to earn at least some part of it. But a book? Naaaaah!!! I am sure my parents would have encouraged any such skills if only I had displayed any ability in that direction, but ..... oh well, I am still here to tell the tale, even if I could never write or paint!

Manju, maybe you should encourage your friend to fish out that manuscript and either polish it up or let you do it and I for one would be delighted to read it! :-D

1 person likes this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju,
    I also used to love reading Kushwant Singh's "With malice towards one and all". In those days I never had any ambition to become a writer. I satisfied myself with writing letter to newspaper editors like THE TELEGRAPH and THE HINDU and I felt happy to see my letters in print when they were published .

Later in life I have started writing my autobiography and yet to complete it.

I simply wanted to narrate my life to my near and dear ones. I never told my children about my childhood and the way I was brought up. Though my life consists nothing of great, there were lots of ups and downs with all the masala ingredients which are shown in movies and serials except love. (I mean love marriage) Some of the incidents I have shared in my blogs in IL.

Your friend's and your love to become writers has given IL a very versatile blogger and I am very much impressed with your style of writing.
    PS

1 person likes this.