1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

unable to understand bil

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by sunflower02, Feb 15, 2012.

1. indianinbayarea

indianinbayarea New IL'ite

Well there are few people like that, they are called "Parasites" in my language. I would understand if the bil is not working or if he is in college and does not have salary, then it makes sense that his elder brother ( your husband) is supporting him. But I feel he is taking undue advantage of him. Unfortunately you need to diplomatic about this situation

I am pretty sure that his parents are not buying just gold with the money. They are probably saving some of the money in his savings account ( for marriage ofcourse)

As omnam pointed out try the 2nd option:-

I am not sure how the relation between you and husband is but be diplomatic. Tell the husband why are you spending money on him. HE should be responsible. He will get married in few months and he should be more responsible etc. His wife would not like if he asks money from his elder brother. I think we need to step back and let him handle his own money properly etc etc.

If you have kids, I think Daffny's suggestions also is very nice. Ask your kids for toys and gifts from the bil. This way he will have to spend money on the kids

You can also try asking him for gifts for yourself and husband for your birthday, husband's birthday, anniversary, new year, diwali etc. You can say " Bil we spend so much money on you, but you never bought gifts for me or husband, you never bought gifts for diwali, birthday etc" I am assuming here that he has not given any gifts to you and your DH

Hope this helps.

2. sanvi5

sanvi5 Silver IL'ite

Sunflower

Your BIL is taking too much advantage of you guys.I think its high time for you to control this. He should realize that you have a family with kid and you have your own expenses he is not a kid.
    My situation was a lill similar to yours but later all this stopped after my BIL marriage.
    I think one option may work for you. Force your BIL to get married in that way he will gain more responsibilities and he will understand what a family means and all the household expenses and wont bother you guys anymore.Hope it works.

3. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

I can understand this behavior from a recent college grad. But a 30-year old guy, depending on his brother, for every little thing, that too when he has the money, just seems out of the ordinary.
    IMO, subtle indicators will not work for people who purposefully freeload! A frank talk might help, in front of your H, so that there is no behind-the-back-bitching. A good idea would be to let your H know that this is not acceptable behavior from a 30-year old adult, earning a handsome salary. And talk about it nicely to your BIL. Talk easy the first time around, by saying that everyone should be independent. And its always good to keep some liquid cash around, along with credit cards, because that will help us track our spending, and the usual blah blah. If he still does not understand, then a more blatant talk, next time around should do the job! Good luck!

PS: Patience is a virtue, but inaction for a long time will lead to being taken for a ride!

4. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

It's clear that your BIL is sponging off his brother, taking advantage of his love and affection. But you must handle this situation tactfully because your DH is obviously okay with spending such large amounts of money on his brother. I suggest you create an Excel sheet of your family income and expenses...I bet you will find a lot "outgoings" related to your BIL. Make sure you specify these expenses as those related to BIL visits, his travel expenses, and so on. Create a pie diagram if your DH is a visual learner! This will help him see the wasteful expenditure that is eating into your savings. In addition, try to invest a solid amount in a home or a mutual fund for your kid...when you lock in money with investments it will be very difficult for your DH to give away money as he is doing now.

I am really skeptical of how marriage can change your BIL...if anything, he will become more of a leech because his personal expenses will increase and, thanks to you and your DH, he has never had to spend any money from his own pocket to meet these expenses! Point is, the sooner you break this cycle, the better!

1 person likes this.
  5. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Hey Sweetie,

Lucky girl who marries your BIL I must say. 5 years 45k per month wow. I hope you get to see her from behind the golden attire she would be wearing for her marriage.
    I feel the main problem here is your MIL who has instructed him to send most of his salary home every month. Of course he is also to be blamed a grown up man capable enough to earn good doesn't understand how to take care of his finances. And is happily sucking on to his brother's bank account shameless.
    If I were you I would tell my husband how his lovely brother doesn't look good in society if he continues his ways and also needs to realize and learn to take care of all his needs before taking on the responsibilities as a husband.
    You really need to put a full stop to this before he gets married or you would have double tickets and some feminine shopping added to the list while your dear MIL is storing gold baskets at her home.
    Loving your siblings and getting them things sometimes is nice but not this and if this is the way of showing love in your family why don't you start loving your brother/sister same way?
    Take care Good luck,
    Vaidehi

6. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

Oh yes. I used to get lot of gifts for my elder SIL's kids before my wedding itself and continued buying them after marriage too. No I am not bosting of what i did but I loved them. When my SIL came to visit us after my marriage...she just got me tender coconut and made huge news telling people that I couldnt pay for the tender coconut when she visited us...it was my responsibility to pay for everything since they are at our home. Bloody cheap person forget everything for what I got them and her kids and advertise for the 15-20bugs spent on me. I never asked money from H to sponsor the gifts for his ppl.....I always spent from my pocket. And I cant stop them from thinking that it was I who got them gifts not her brother.

So moral of the story dont try recporicate the wrong things.....That may fall on you and ppl will easily forget the things you have done for them and say its our brother or son money, we have rights more than you. At the end you will be blamed for being greedy, money-minded and manipulative.

OP, I really suggest you to analyse your DH attitude. You know better how he will react to your comments on these things. If you think he would behave mature than you should talk him openly.

7. sunflower02

sunflower02 New IL'ite

thanku all, My dh spoke to him this morning as he is planning to visit home, again who is going to book his flight tickets. dh says that he is very innocent and doing exactly the same thing which his mother is saying.my inlaws are welloff with monthly earnings more than 1 lac( rent+ sal), we also send them monthly expenses.
    Dh also told me that he was also doing the same thing before marriage sending 90% of his salary home , but after marriage he used to send a fixed amount.
    At the time of our marriage his account also had 5k, we did'nt go for our honeymoon.
    when dh explained him to keep some money with him as he is soon going to get married his answer was if my wife objects about sending money or says anything against my mom i'll tell her to go and live with her family and i'll live with my family.I know he is indirectly talking about me. so i have decided not speak in this matter, even dh is feeling bad about this and i dont feel like talking to him now.waiting for things to change after his marriage.

8. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Don't fight with your DH dear..no point spoiling ur relations with him. Better ensure that u save enough for ur kid and u two. And wait for the time to ur BIL to get married..in fact raise the issue of finding a "good girl" for him! Once he is married u will also see how much he asks his wife to stay with her family! He is being manipulative and now it's time for u to act smart! Best of luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Very simple.

Try hard to pester your DH and F/M IL to get your BIL married.

If a girl comes, do you think she will allow to send >80% to parents?
    His visits to your home will also be reduced.

10. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

Sorry to divert. I burst into laughter seeing your reply :) Am still laughing !!