1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Unable To Shed Weight

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by bruised234, Dec 21, 2016.

1. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Has it ever happened to anyone that they got their thyroid levels checked and everything seemed normal but they are having the symptoms still - like gaining weight rapidly in spite of exercise and normal diet? Blood sugar and Cholesterol levels are normal, the thyroid levels look normal but are somewhat lower than the last checked levels ( lowered from 1.8 to 1.5)? I have gained weight recently in the last 4 months(almost 15 lbs, specifically 10 lbs only in the last 1.5 months) and only seem to be gaining more. I have started exercising although I am not doing it daily - trying to maintain it to 5 days a week, but not able to do more than 4 days a week. Does anyone use devices like fitbit? How many calories do you typically burn on a daily basis as shown on the fitbit? I can see that my overall energy has gone down in the last 9 months or so, and I think it has something to do with my hormones. I am having dry skin and hair is also greying.

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

How are you OP?
    I would say, start taking good multivitamin for women- for age group.
    Fitbit and like do help, it reminds people to stand up- at tleast- meaning if you are sitting on chair- it will remind you to stand up as we burn calories with standing.
    Do get something like it.
    10 lbs in one month or so, is too much- were you travelling, on a cruise, attending a wedding with all paid buffets- all day long?
    Seriously, if you didn't any major events, you should gain so much. Please check with your Doctor.
    Also, did buy a new scale or put it in a new room?
    Start monitoring your diet- stop all empty calories, all desert, all fried- only roti, dal, rice, subzi, chai
    Start walking if possible, outside

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Have you had your hemoglobin A1c checked? Insulin resistance can make it difficult to lose weight. I would consult a good endocrinologist.

4. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I understand that it is difficult to gain so much weight all of a sudden, that's why I got the thyroid levels checked and they seemed "normal". I did not go cruising or anything, yes around 3-4 months back I went twice on a road trip - but I did not gain then, this weight gain is something I noticed very recently. I know very well that when I checked 3 months I was not this much, I am pretty sure I gained those pounds recently. Maybe I should consult my gynaecologist...I take multivitamins regularly. The problem is my sleep which has reduced considerably from 5 months. I am just curious if anyone wears a fitbit - how many calories do you typically burn on a daily basis? With no exercise I don't burn more than 1700 per day.... with some exercise I make it to the 2000 mark. Maybe on those days when I am on the run throughout the day(happens rarely) I may have crossed 2500, but not more than 2700(the most intense day - hiking all day something like that). I have started a food journal this week and being careful not to snack outside or eat junk food of any kind.

5. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

Ur menses regular ??

Check for T3/T4 and TSH all three in thyroid test ..

yes, even less sleep gives u more weight ..

indrajaram likes this.
  6. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Menses thankfully has been okay, but yes sleep is horrible barely 6 hours on average.

7. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

I was actually wondering, has anyone had Paragard and had any issues. I have been having heavy periods and weight gain ever since I started it around 3 years back. Have any of you had issues with paragard IUD?

8. Azina

Azina New IL'ite

I had the same problem and after a treatment of 1 long year I'm quite satisfied with my skin and hair.

9. sunithapu

sunithapu New IL'ite

There can be many reasons if you are not able to lose weight. Here are few to mention:

1. Not getting enough sleep

2. You find too many excuses

3. Too Much alcohol

4. You eat more than you should

5. No time for workout

6. Sometimes you are too lazy

7. Dehydrated

8. Weak metabolism

9. Not having a proper plan

10. You are getting distracted easily

Start indulging in healthy eating like have organic, carbohydrates, whole foods, nutrient-rich proteins that will help shed fat fast. The simple way to adapt is eat right, workout and practice a healthy lifestyle on a regular basis.

10. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

yes i have seen it in people whose bloodwork is normal still they are unable to lose weight. I was one of them..WAS because I was able to lose finally....

first thing, how old are you? if you are above 35 , it may be bit tougher than earlier because your metabolism slows down with age.

secondly, you really need to do a complete makeover of your diet and exercise

exercise everyday, walking 45 min to 1 hr, PLUS reducing your portions to half PLUS increasing protein and reducing carbs PLUS full sleep worked for me..I was able to lose 12 kgs with those...initially I used to go to gym for 1 hr, and eat sensibly too but was not losing weight at all..I owe it to stressful hectic life without much sleep and lots of caffeine....maybe something else may work for you..try different methods something will work for you..and also make sure you shun sweets and fried like poison ....until u reach your goal weight once you achieve it, then you can things like those in moderation and once in while but that too need to be burned off....
    some people have tendency to gain weight v easily, I am one of them..some people keep on eating junk and fatty stuff and they are slim like pencil....

can u have egg whites? protein powder? vegetables salad and soup with little carbs as lunch?