UK school query

Discussion in 'Indians in the UK' started by poonamgav, Nov 3, 2014.

1. poonamgav

poonamgav New IL'ite

Hi,

We live in Mumbai. We have got 1 year UK visa. My husband will travel to UK this month end. My daughter is in 2nd standard in an ICSE school. My question is, when does UK schools (Liverpool city to be specific) starts? Can I enroll her in the mid of the school year in UK. Which standard she will go there?

What do you all suggests, can I complete her 2nd std in India and then go to UK or can i go in the mid of the school year (I may travel in Dec/Jan).

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
    Poonam

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hello,

school year is from September, has three terms and you could get admission midterm depending on the availability. If it is a state school you are looking at, they'd give you a school with vacancy which is closest to your residence. A private school doesn't really bother about where you live as long as you take the responsibility for bringing your child to and from school on time.

The cut off date for a year is 31 August. Any child who has had their fifth birthday by 31 Aug will go into year 1. If your dd has completed 6, she'd go to year 2; 7, then year 3 and so on. It doesn't matter which year she was in in India. State schools aren't selective, some (not all) private schools are selective.

Here is what you could do.
    - look on Zoopla (or ask anyone else you know in Liverpool) about which area might be a good one to live in. In Zoopla you will find maps and schools closest to a property etc.
    - go to the ofsted website to check the review and rating of the schools nearby.
    - find the council website of Liverpool (there should be a section there dedicated to schools) and ring them up asking about whether there are places available in schools you have shortlisted (the best schools usually have a waiting list)

Lit sounds complicated, I know but once you sit down with it, it will take you just half a day to shortlist schools.

good luck!

2 people like this.
  3. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

Best to finish school and go during summer hols. It's only a few extra months. New school year starts in September. When looking for a place to live, first finalise which schools are best for your DD.

Search for OFSTED UK SCHOOL LEAGUE TABLES in Google. You will find links which will let you see which schools have best reputation. Once you have seen and shortlisted which schools maybe good for DD, find a accommodation close to the school.

School admission depend a lot on your address. So, just be sure that you find a place close to the school you are interested in.

If you come in Mar / Apr after her 3rd term exams, she will be able to have enough time to get used to new country and will be ready to go back to school when it re-opens in september. Better to start in the beginning of the school year. This will help DD catch-up with curriculum more easily. School authorities will help you decide which Year your DD should go into.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Not to contradict you, sripree. This is just something I think I must highlight.

even if you were to come here in April after this school year, it is possible that you are asked to enrol your child in school for the summer term which starts in April. It is mandatory that every child here goes to school or is homeschooled during term time. There was someone here who moved early July and was specifically told that they were exempted from sending their child to school because there were just two weeks of school before the summer holidays.

Plus the curriculum, approach and focus in schools here is quite different from schools in India. Since you say your husband's trip is only for a year, you might want to consider not moving your child at all or moving her for the entire year. It would take a couple of months or less for her to settle in and make new friends; IMO, uprooting her again in a short period wouldn't be advisable.

my suggestion is that you narrow down good schools (I would suggest ofsted rating 1 or 2 if it is a state school) in Liverpool and ring them up right away about vacancies. Year 3 has a lot of movement and good schools have a waiting list for year 3 especially. (Reception, year 1 and year 2 are infant school; year 3-6 primary, then there is Middle school and high school) so if your child will be in year 3 next year, you might as well move right away

1 person likes this.
  5. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

I think you should take the above poster's advice. I don't have kids and just telling from general knowledge of living here in UK. So best to get advice of someone who has more knowledge than me.

6. poonamgav

poonamgav New IL'ite

Thanks guesshoo, sripree for your valuable advice. Appreciate your help.

I inquired at her present (Indian) school. If we take her out in the middle of the school, she will be considered as dropout and she will get only 6 months report card. So we have decided to complete her 2nd standard here only and then move in April after her exam.

Also, could you please tell me what things to shop from India and what from UK. Any shopping list you guys have handy?

Thanks again for you help.

Thanks,
    Poonam

7. ritu1401

ritu1401 New IL'ite

Hi Poonam,
    You get everything in UK, so don't need to bring any spices etc. Bring your things to make chapati ( belan, tava and chakla) and pressure cooker. If you are keen, bring one small mixer grinder as we have food processors here. That's it.

8. roomaL

roomaL New IL'ite

Hello,
    I have similar query...the only difference is that my kid is 3 y old and goes to nursery class here in india . we also are planning to move to london for a year .please help .will he face any difficulty in joining back to indian school after a year or 2