1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

U.S. Elementary education - what parents need to be aware of

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, May 12, 2015.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tag @PavithraS

1. Handwriting - no matter how much we teach them to hold the pen properly at home, as they start spending 6 hours in school not many retain the way they have been taught at home. If they did then you are lucky. I still have to emphasis my children to hold the pencil properly at home. But with use of Computers writing is coming down.

2. Lang/arts - only thing we can do is to read(help the child pick) different genre of books. more library visits and more participation in the local library will help a lot. Libraries will have lots of group activities, summer reading, book discussion and so on. It's the best resource we could use for free. When we go on a long road trips we pick audio books too and they love to listen to the audio books.

Writing(expository/narrative/descriptive/persuasive/informatory) - School does a very good job of teaching kids to write. It's enough to just follow what is taught in school.

3. Math - this can be enriched at home. I tried Kumon, Abacus math etc but didnt help much. hands-on math was the point of interest. @hrastro I believe teaches vedic maths and so she can give some pointers. There are lot of workbooks available and we can very well slowly teach them at home. but multiplication and division becomes confusing with our way and the way they learn at school (lattice method). So we need to be careful there.

4. Science - Again reading science books or doing more hands-on experiments will help them to learn well. Science curriculum is not strong until they come to middle/high school. Enrichment at home helps. There are many simple experiments that can be done at home through which science concepts can be explained. Also participating in school science fairs helps. Not many school offer science fair at elementary level and even if they do, it should be something that kid can do. It should not be a parent project which defeats the purpose of learning.

5. Arts - I usually find some summer programs where they can explore different arts like pot painting, glass painting, ceramic painting etc. It's no stress and whatever they do at school if they are interested can find online. For eg, my LO looks up youtube for Origami, knitting, rainbow loom etc.

6. Parent-Teacher conferences - We need to go prepared; know what our child is good at or struggling at and see how it can be improved. Usually we get only 10-15 minutes in the conference and constant interaction between teachers will help.

7. Standardized testing - This is more a test for the teacher than the student. Whatever they do in school is just enough. Based on the students performance, it's teacher's effective way of teaching, school performance at district level are all evaluated. So need to worry at elementary level. If the children do just fine in classroom tests/assessments that is good enough.

Any extra curricular activity can be explored 5 and above. sports, music/dance and if instrument above 7 yrs, whatever interests them. Kumon is too repetitive and may not suit every child.

Social skills is too important and making play-dates for less social kid will help. They should also be taught about bullying and should know to stand up when bullied. Usually school educates the children in these aspect but our regular interaction of how the day was with the kid will throw light if any issues are there.

Sorry for a long post and maybe many are aware of all that has been mentioned here.

Mehana, sweetsmiley, kvcr and 18 others like this.
  2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

@jskls,
    Wow ! Great information .Thank you for responding quickly .:exactly::thankyou2:

Regards,
    Pavithra.

@ramyav_cse , hope this helps...:)

4 people like this.
  3. mriduna

mriduna Silver IL'ite

@jskls, Great information .Thank you
    @Rihana Thank you for starting this wonderful thread.

My DD is 3.5 and I will be watching this for more information. Like others we are also going through a lot of questioning and understanding phase. We live in an average school district (as per greatschools) so debating on private vs. public. So some of my questions -
    1. If we decide on private school, would it be better to start from kindergarten or sometime during elementary level?
    2. If we move and switch kid from private to public would the difference be too much for the kid to adjust, same question if we have to do it other way round
    3. How important are the Magnet/Advanced programs at elementary level

2 people like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@jskls that is very useful information. Just the kind this thread is for. Thank you.

Some good queries too have been posted.

I will post some more things as they come to mind - academic year end is good time for that.. let's continue to tag more members too.

It is exam time in my house :) Will post more soon..

1 person likes this.
  5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Very nice thread..the biggest concern/issue I have is inconsistency between class rooms.
    In most elementary schools there is just one primary teacher who handles all the subjects. How the class is designed is left to the discretion of the teacher with some guidelines and curriculum. Some autonomy is good and its nice to see the personality of the teacher reflected but at times this goes a bit too far and I have seen two kids at the same grade level receiving very diff quality of education just because of the way their teachers are ..this is something that needs to be addressed.

4 people like this.
  6. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Nice thread @Rihana.

@jskls and @Justanothergirl have given great points. In addition :

1. Second language - Coming from a country where kids study 2 languages and sometimes even 3 right from kindergarten, studying only English seems so odd to me. While they learn to write ABCs, kids can be taught the basics of a second language too. My school district opposes this citing time constraint. However studying a different language has enormous benefits for the brain. US is probably one of the few countries that has the single language system at elementary level.

2. Short lunch breaks - I am not sure if this is across all school districts but mine has 20 minutes alloted for lunch out of which 10 min is lost moving between the halls leaving an effective 10 minutes to eat. Expecting a 5 or 6 or even 7 year old to finish lunch is too great an expectation, if he/she doesnt then remain hungry for the remaining 3 hours. This is one of the reasons I do not enrol my kid in after school activities.

3. Writing - We started writing on 4 line paper and notebooks with squares for math. It doesnt seem a great deal until you compare the neatness of writing. No margins, no concept of even spacing or size of alphabet/numbers. I thought it improves over time, but today I was shocked to see a middle schooler writing the same way ( she is a bright kid doing great at school otherwise). We are not writing much as adults but I feel when learning something, take the time to learn it the right way as long as you are learning it.

4. Emphasis on sports and fine arts - I love the fact that there is compulsory PT classes where they teach exercises and games everyday and fine arts such as music, art, drama classes once a week. From what I have heard, many schools (both in India and US) have dropped these from the curriculum.

5. Ease of approach - Its pretty easy to talk to teachers, principal and above. No veneration required. They are all professional.

6. No apparent favoritism - So far I havent seen/heard of teachers showering extra attention on kids because the kid is a personal favorite.

7. Grouping of kids based on reading ability and math - I guess this has its pros and cons but I like it. Also some schools have mixed classes that is first and second graders sit together, an advanced kid starts working on second grade stuff while a lagging kid will work on first grade which is nice.

8. PTA - One of my key criteria in selecting a school is its PTA - how active it is, what kind of activities it organises, how approachable its members are. The involvement and dedication that parents bring to the school is amazing. They organise classes, run fundraisers and involve the whole school.

9.Every time I see kids sleeping and reading/writing, I cringe!I t's not frowned upon at schools. Also no insistence on "Sit straight!". However discipline is enforced while walking, talking and eating :)

10. No prayers before/during/after school. Truly secular. Very embracing of other cultures if and when they are shared with school.

The key takeaway for kids leaving elementary school is social skills. How well a kid can communicate effectively with other kids and adults, how can he/she ask for help and offer help, how to break into groups and talk, making presentations, working toward working independently, thinking about books and issues critically, having opinions and voicing them without fear or favor - this is where I feel US elementary education is completely in a class of its own. Beats India (and many other countries) hands down there :(

7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

I see lots of queries on public/private/charter schools.

Public schools are government schools, free of cost (almost) and you live within the boundaries of the specific school to get admitted there. The school district has information on which addresses go to which school. SOmetimes permissive transfers are allowed.

Private schools - you pay fees, have lots of flexibility as far as curriculum goes, could adopt a different teaching methodology like montessori or waldorf. SOmetimes they are also religious schools run by Churches or Jewish associations. Such schools offer a discount to their congregation members, I am told.

Magnet schools are usually public schools. Their definition varies from state to state. Some have a lottery to be accepted while some have a test to be accepted. Usually the latter cater to advanced students. Since they look for diversity, most Indians get through in the former case. They usually focus on a key area apart from the regular academics. In my district there are schools focussing on Arts and another on Science. I did not find them more impressive than my homeschool.

Talking to other parents who have kids there, attending kindergarten playdates, visiting the schools and interacting with PTA presidents can give much inputs when deciding the school. At the elementary level, magnet schools don't matter much. Advanced schools too unless you have the next Einstein at home.

Its not much fun for a 7 year old to be doing math along with 10 year olds!

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Vedic maths works for kids who already are familiar with factors, multiples and multiplication and division basics...
    I have detailed some games and activities for maths basics for younger kids here in this thread

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...sian-school-of-mathematics-2.html#post3524641

aldwm, kvcr, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @hrastro. Very useful info in Russian School of Mathematics link

1 person likes this.
  10. abla

abla Gold IL'ite

Good thread @Rihana :thumbsup

1 person likes this.