1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

TV Serials-are they worth watching?

Discussion in 'TV' started by Varloo, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I used to watch good TV serials,Adukiran Kannan, Metti oli, Marma Desam and now Chidambara ragasiyam and Adumattum ragasiyam. I rarely watch odd episodes fo Kolangal and Selvi. I was really disgusted of Selvi and felt indignant on seeing Kolangal. Selvi seems to be an Adults only serial-the story and episodes are not worth watching with children.
    Second marriages, illegal relationships, a married woman flaunting illegitimate child,
    husband keeping quite on this issue, husband escaping by pointing to a stranger as his second wife's husband and they both staying together in the husband's house together-is it enough? I feel embarrassed to watch the odd episode.
    Kolangal is another type- Abi is the personification of all things good, calling divorced people as thali kattina manaivy and purushan, woman encouraging sister to flirt with bil and that man's wife getting these two married and living together and what not. It is amazing how the director can think of somany absurd relations? Cinema used t be unreal and now some reality is getting into it. But now serials have become so artificial. This affects more because the tv is in the drawing hall and anybody can access.
    The Hindi TV serials have become more glamorous-mil wears spaghetti strap blouse, full make up and looks like younger sister of the hero. All made up even when getting up from sleep. It is sickening.
    The people who cry hoarse in the name of karpu produce and act in such serials. Only the common man is made the scape goat. The TV serials go on for ever and end is an anti climax, leaving a bitter taste in the viewer. Chithi was one example. Sometimes the serial is stopped midway or abruptly brought to a close and the viewer is left high and dry with the ending.
    Even then, our womenfolk, old and young, swear their lives on these serials (my mother included). I feel that we should shun such TV serials and then the producers will have to give good entertainement.
    What do you think?
    varloo

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2006

2. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

I agree with you Varloo

Selvi is certainly disgusting. Still i watch it, because i am used to watching it! Other TV serials i dont watch , i cannot comment about. Another irritating episode is of 'Crime Story' shown in Vijay TV. They think they are alerting the public, but all the crimes that they show are relating -- to rapes, brutal murder, child molestation etc.Why cant they show everyday small crimes like pickpocket or servant stealing money etc. That too at 10:00 PM its digusting to watch it and go to Bed!

Love,
    Purni

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hello Varloo and Purnima,

Yeah even i feel why cant people like RAdhika have more say in giving a good serial.....i also feel the same way abt selvi.....sitting here in Germany, i get access to only Sun tv, the other German channels are worse at night and so we subscribed to this....but i feel it is a waste to watch such stupidity.
    But i switch it on just to hear some tamil language, and it does get lonely sometimes with no one around...but mostof the time i put it on mute, since i feel all the shoutings and bickerings are not worth listening to....
    I guess only when the viewer ratings fall they will try to get something sensible and interesting!
    To top it in germanchnnels here is a bollywood fever...all Hindi movies are dubbed in german and relayed almost every week....at this rate i feel even germany is going to get exposed to all this .....and these people love our song and dance sequences so much that some people are cashing on it by having bollywood dance workshops, and sell those dresses etc....we can even get ringtones of these songs on our mobile!
    So when we meetgermanfriends they go all ga ga abt this as if india has got nothing else but only bollywood and Shahrukh Khan...

Well so much for the entertainment field doling out all nonsense and making money!

regards,

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Varloo,

It was so satisfying to read your post on the silly serials! We got the dish satellite and asked for SunTV when my mom visited us as I knew watching some of these TV serials was her daily ritual!! Along with her, I started watching them too. Thankfully, she does not watch all of them and had a few selective ones like Metti Oli and Kolangal. Kolangal seems to go in twists and turns, just like a kolam and I cannot make out any reason or rhyme to that story, if it can be called that! Now that my mother has gone back to India and we still have SunTV, I simply do not watch it. The only one I am still following is Anandam, which sort of seemed more probable a story. But now, even that is going on and on like an Anjaneya's tail!!! How come that intelligent people resort to making such mindless serials. It floors me. It is a tall order to ask people to stop watching it. Like Purnima says, it unfortunately becomes a habit to some people, eg, my mother! One sets a routine by it like having dinner before or after it or going to sleep after that serial etc etc. Mind sets its own body clock I guess. I feel one should write to these TV stations and protest...but then, if their viewership is strong, why will they ever change. I think it is a losing battle for a few of us, sadly. It is the same circus here in th US. Sometimes they marry off the protagonist to the dad, his son, nephew and what have you. Mind boggles:)

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I too find these serials very meaningless,but what to do...we have nothing else to do.
    In the U.S,we have subscribed to this Sun TV,and have started watching almost all serials 'without fail'.

Earlier,when I was working,I had no time for such serials and I never used to watch them.Now,sitting at home, and with hubby also coming home early,it has become like a ritual.Both of us are getting addicted to these serials eventhough we know it is not worth it.Sometimes,when I see how some of the female characters in these serials are portrayed,my BP rises.

The only good thing is that my hubby and myself always think-Thank God,such people do not really exist in real life'.

cheers

6. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

I watch a very few

Hi Ladies,

Interesting discussion! I got so tempted to post in this seeing the title :tongue.

My husband keeps chidding me for the very few serials I watch. He has already given me a pattam (title) - Serial Seethai :oops:. But you know, many times he gets tempted to watch them and reminds me when it is time for the serial to switch on the TV :mrgreen: .

Ok, to answer the question - are the serials worth watching - may be I too would admit as 'no'. But being in the US, I watch Sun TV to hear some tamil at home, like some of you have already mentioned. Fortunately or unfortunately, today Sun TV (for that matter all tamil channels) are flooded with serials.

I watch a very few - little quality ones among the worse lots like...

Selvi serial by Radhika - because it is made by Radaan TV
    Penn serial by Sita - recently started - since it is directed by C.J. Bhasker
    Theerga Sumangali - in the afternoon's - that's my cooking time, so I tell myself I am watching while I am cooking and not waste of time

My favorite serial used to be "Metti Oli" - I like that father character in the serial a lot. Though the rest was mere family drama!

Just one more to mention - I watched a few episodes of Avm's Nimmadhi in the afternoon. But never in one episode I found Nimmadhi in that serial - unlike it's
    name!

Let's try and watch less of TV serials!

Kanmani

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

aha, temptation wins

Dear all,
    It is nice to know that all of you are well aware of the negative aspects of these serials and you agree the serials are not worth watching, but watch them out of temptation. I also get tempeted but now I resist.I read books or log on to IL. My husband has shifts so most of the days, he will be there till 1.He will go n surfing and so I do not get a chance to watch. After that there is no serial so I escape. Then, by 3 my son comes home and I keep busy with his studies etc. I do not miss the yv at all. I love to watch good movies but mostly am not able to watch.
    Yesterday (12th March) I watched Kolangal, half brother anad half sister in love.
    In Selvi, Ranjini's supposed new born looks like he is 8 months old.
    My God, where is the story heading to?
    Metti Oli was realistic, my family is somewhat like that.
    Aadukiran Kannan was also good. I watch Chidambara Ragasiyam.
    People living in other countries get a satifaction when they hear Tamil, understandable. What about other channels like Animal Kingdom, Discovery etc.? We Chennaiites cannot watch these because of set top box problem. We will have to spend around Rs.500 per month over the initial expense of Rs.6000, so we bear with silence.
    And one more thing, when we read remarks about how women are getting addicted to serials in the Tamil magazines, I am worried. I hope they get de addicted fast.
    varloo

8. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Varloo,

in Germany we don't get any other language channels....and if we need english the set up is so expensive and the yearly subscriptions also that they are not worth the trouble. For us Sun tv is the cheapest and the only indian channel other than Zee tv which is reliable....so no way out , i am stuck wih the serial mania.....but i don't take it seriously....of course it does get irritating when there is no logic, or when everyone is dumb or constantly fighting. I too watch Chidambara Rahasyam....and i also went in for some Nadi josiam consultation.

Well i guess we have to learn to live with this....of course for us there is no other go...nowt many indians around and everyone is busy in the evenings....so at least i get the watch Sarita's or Ranjini's histrionics....ha ha...adding some spice to my otherwise boring existence.
    Of course now it is okay, i do log on the whole day to IL and meet up with friends...so that is a great life saver!

regards,

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hai varloo

i agree cent percent with u regarding the serials but dont know how it impacts people...and knowing the tamil nadu crowd from the little experience they r a emotional lot...and get carried away with these....never knew good channels like animal planet and discovery and national geography is so expensive...there is a travel and living and that is a fabulous channel u get to travel to remote places...andthe food culture and diff fashions and remaking of the house....when u were out they redo the entire house ....and it is a dream coming true to many and the various hotels and the spread u really travel into a new world....and when it is over u r wonder struck many a time...how i wish been there along with them..i pay only 250/ per month for all the channels....with 500 as deposit long time ago....regards...sunkan

10. bhuvani1

bhuvani1 New IL'ite

hi
    I agree with this to some extent. I still watch hindi serials. In tamil i used to watch balachander's serials which used to have strong independent and intelligent wome characters. Other' serial the less said the better
    one reson is the language use against women inthe name of showing reality. that puts me off. Not that hindi serials are verygood but the language is better and decent. that s the way i feel atlest.