Turn Passion Into Profession

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shravs3, Oct 4, 2019.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

There are many people who have quit high paying jobs to fulfill their passion.

I have known some people who have quit their high paying jobs to make their hobbies like photography, baking etc turn into their profession.

How many of you have chosen something passionate as your full time profession and are very happy about it?
    How many of you are completely satisfied with your current job with no regrets?

If given an option what career would you choose ?

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

In an ideal world, I would be a dancing for a living. Instead , the only thing moving are my fingers on the keyboard :unamused:

3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

It’s the same with me :expressionless:
    I love photography, but instead of clicking one button I have been clicking multiple keys :grinning:

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This reminds me of the story of a fellow who quit his IT job in Detroit area, went back to a village in Tamil Nadu, and started a social service non-profit called PAYIR. I had sent contributions to that outfit for a few years: they were supporting education of girls in rural TN. I had supported outfits that were building toilets for girls in schools as a route to support education of girls post-menarche. That is a critical issue that stops girls in India from completing highschool and perhaps .... perhaps... going on to being more clever in protecting themselves through the troubles of life that would surely come at them.

In their early years of PAYIR, while struggling to get going as a one-man show, people thought that fellow was nuts....to use his savings from America on trying to help people in a small village. And going around in dothi, on a rickety old bicycle. His mother was interviewed on TV, and she cried, saying: "Everybody wanted him to marry their daughter last year; but now, nobody would give him a girl in marriage".
    (I don't know if he is married now).

If money and creature comforts that it can buy are not problems, I would be at a loss to occupy myself full time. Not enough of a self-starter. I know I am not alone. It is hard to have the passion of a person who could almost be an Asperger case. I would probably buy things (that I don't need ) from amazon. Watch a lot of TV, read magazines, eat what I want and gain weight. It would be scary.

Thinking back about it, I now realize that a job with some regrets isn't such a bad thing, when it brings in money, (and gives one the confidence of having it), and keeps one away from other temptations for lazing about.

Welll... perhaps this is not the response that the OP wants, but most of us dream about being independently wealthy enough not to have to think about making a living. If one were to be forced to make a living, whatever that they do is not out of passion, but out of need. When we can complete the sentence "Behind every entrepreneur there is..........." we'd see the pragmatic angle that underlie someone who had followed her (his as well) passion and went to whatever fate that awaited.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I am so glad to say that I am one lucky fellow, whose passion became a profession and I am 100% happy and satisfied about it.

First of all, I did not know what my passion was when I entered the job market.
    Like many, I too studied hard and chased after a career that promised a good pay. But within months, I noticed there was nothing that satisfy my soul in that work place.
    I hated that routine job, and that stressed me a lot.

During this time, I was offered to assist a foreign consultant, who was doing some assessment related to post Tsunami crisis in my country. The offer came through a known family friend.
    My role was to translate Tamil to English on weekends. I traveled across all the Tsunami affected areas together with that consultant & happened to meet so many people.
    During those 2-3 months, I've discovered my passion. Discovered the areas what makes me happy, what keeps me alive, what entertains me, what brings out the best in me, what motivates me, and above all, what satisfies my soul.

During my time together with that consultant, we had discussed everything about human development. She used to share her previous experiences at different places, the risks she has taken, and the proud moments etc... and that mesmerized me! I've already started dreaming myself in her shoes.
    That's when I understood where my passion lies. With her guidance, I entered UN and still enjoying my career!!!

6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I too didn’t realize my passion while starting out my career, but oddly, I think I’m in the right place. I started out with healthcare on my mind, but now I’m primarily doing IT and process improvement stuff. It suits me more and I love working with people, and purposely choose to work in work environments that have a good vibe (places that others also enjoy their work and has good company morale) at least when I can. I realized quickly that I did not like healthcare, but I learned some very marketable skills. I’m tempted to tout the old adage that “everything happens for a reason,” since each job has played an important role for the next opportunity- however small it may seems.
    Growing up, I had also read a book with a saying “All Knowledge is Worth Having”. I think I took that one to heart as well.

And I end up having a passion project usually. I have always done some type of brand ambassador or sales work on the side- which is low paying but rewarding in some ways. A part of me likes the non traditional work style as well.

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes, becoming a successful entrepreneur requires lot of hard work and one has to be very careful and lucky too.
    Recently I saw videos and read stories of many female entrepreneurs( mid 20's) who turned their passion to profession. May be after watching all those I got inspired and struck a corner of my mind to follow the same.
    But as I already mentioned you need to work hard , dedicate lots of time and be patient!

Vaikuntha likes this.
  8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@SGBV you are indeed lucky to choose such a profession. I have read your posts regarding your job and family life. Not many get a chance to work in UN. You are truly inspiring.Would love to hear more about it

9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@BhumiBabe when things are not working according to my wishes I console myself telling "Everything happens for a reason". As you mentioned each phase, each struggle and each work will help us. Glad to know that you are happy with your current job. Job satisfaction is very much essential for us to continue the same for long time.

10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

From long time I have that dream to accomplish something in my life. But I'm stuck with how ,when and why?