1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Tulip Show - Michigan

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by Amywos, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILs of Michigan,

I heard the Tulip Show in Holland, MI is open from May-2 to May-9. Me and DH are planning to visit on May 2, that being a weekend. But as that is the day it begins, I guess there will be too much of crowd.:spin
    Can we really enjoy the gardens if we go on that day. Will there be difficulties in parking? How about other Farms nearby that has Tulips?

ILs who have already been there, please throw some light.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009

2. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi amy,

last yr we had been to the tulip show. it will be good. there will be crowd but it doesn't depend on what day it is i mean the first day or second. donot postpone till the very end as the climate change affects the tulips. i think there is a amish county (where the amish people live) so u can visit that one too, i have not been there i have heard of that.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. aks_1985

aks_1985 Senior IL'ite

Hi Amy

We have also planned to go on 2nd for the tulip festival...even i had the same question back in my mind..but i guess shree has given a answer to it..

Hi shree for the answer please answer my question
    one more question what i had is ..
    Is it a one day trip ?,if we plan to go to amish county?

akshata

4. chirpy

chirpy New IL'ite

It is better to check the flowering time either at their website or at michigan.org which has a link. Depending on the bloom time, the beginning or the end of the festival matters.

Expect to be there between 10am-7pm and calculate your drive time around that. On the last day, they have the parade which is very good. The whole street would look so lively.

In that place, you can take the bus tour which will take you to the windmill and around that village. There is some garden around there(can't remember the name)..they has some dutch dances that run all day and it is a beautiful garden too(you can find it in the brochure that you can pick up at the travel center)

5. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Dear shree and chirpy,

Thanks much for your inputs. Will keep it in mind.:)

Wish you a great time akshata ! :thumbsup

6. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi akshatha,

i think u can make it in a single day trip. anyways will check with my DH and post u.

7. chinnirekha

chinnirekha Bronze IL'ite

hi shree,
    we are also palnning to go for tulip festival.I am having doubts regarding this ---
    can u tell me exactly what attractions have u visited in one day ?
    In the website many attractions are listed like---
    Veldheer Tulip farms,
    Nelis dutch village,
    windmill Island,
    Downtown,
    I also saw Tulip trolley tours or something like that -- do you have any idea abt this?
    If you dont mind can you please explain your one day trip as we are also planning for one day ?
    Hi ILs ,
    If u have any ideas about this please share as it would be very helpful for me and others also..
    thanks in advance
    bye
    rekha

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  8. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi rekha,

we went to only the tulip farms. we donot want to strain much with our small kid last yr so did not plan for more than one place a day.

the rest that u have mentioned r not that far . if u donot have kids then i think more than one place can be covered in a day. as i said earlier u can cover the amish county.

i don't have any idea about these tulip trolleys. i will check with my DH.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  9. aks_1985

aks_1985 Senior IL'ite

Thank you Amy:) you too have a good time ...

HI shree

we have decided to do a one day trip because it is not possible to visit more than 1 place having my son who is still trying to walk

akshata

10. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Thank you for Information Ladies,

Please share details on where you want to stay and how you are getting deals..

Below is some information i collected online --

TRAFFIC PATTERNS - When arriving to the Holland area, tune your dial to CB/Channel 9 or 530 AM for information about local traffic patterns. For both entering and touring the area, it is recommended to use 16th, 24th or 32nd Streets rather than 8th Street. Use Pine or Van Raalte Avenues to exit town.
    From Chicago and Northwest Indiana:
    Take I-94 East to I-196 East, via exit #34.
    Follow I-196 East to US-31, via exit #44.
    Follow US-31 North to Business 31 North, via exit #47B (South Washington).
    Follow South Washington North into Holland.
    Carnival
    May 1: Kollen Park, 10th St & Van Raalte Ave: 5pm-11pm
    May 2-9: Holland Civic Center, 150 West 8th Street - Sat:9am-11pm; Sun 12pm-9pm
    Tulip Trolley Tours
    centennial Park, 10th St & Central Ave
    Sat May 2 9am-5pm
    Sun May 3 11am-5pm
    Adults $13, Children $6
    Windmill Island Gardens
    Windmill Island
    Holland, MI 49423
    1 Lincoln Avenue Holland, Michigan 49423 888-535-5792 ‚ 616-355-1030
    An authentic Dutch Lunch will be served during the Tulip Time Festival on May 2, and May 4-9. Lunch includes a choice of 2 soups, 3 breads, and 3 desserts. The cost is only $5.00. A drink is an additional $1.50. The Dutch Lunch will be served throughout the day in Windmill Island's Celebration Pavilion.
    Admission:
    Entrance Fee: $7.50 for Adults, $4.50 for Youth ages 5-15 , Tulip Time: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm ,Everyday: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
    Windmill Island for a special treat! A beautiful oasis with the city of Holland, Windmill Island features a 240 year old working Dutch windmill “De Zwaan” (meaning graceful bird). The windmill towers over 36 acres of manicured gardens, dikes, and canals. Over 150,000 tulips bloom here every spring and you will see them today. Of course your tour would not be complete without a stop inside the windmill.

HISTORIC DUTCH TRADE FAIR May 2-3, 2009, 10 am - 6 pm
    - Over 175,000 tulips!
    - DeZwaan, America's only 245 year-old working Dutch windmill
    - Gift shoppe and Historical DVD presentation
    - Replica of 228-year-old Dutch Inn
    - Little Netherlands Museum
    - Free carousel rides
    - Amsterdam Street Organ
    http://www.tuliptime.com/files/2009/2009-Spring-Brochure.pdf (PrintOut)
    See Page 16 Map - Six miles of Tulip Lanes :)
    http://websrv.cityofholland.com/mapinfo/tulip1.pdf (Tulip Lanes Printout)
    Tunnel Park
    April 1 through October 31 - 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
    Located in Park Township just west of Holland. The entrance is on Lakeshore Drive just south of Lakewood Boulevard.
    66 Lakeshore Drive
    Holland, MI 49424
    This park has an extensive beach plus picnic areas, two picnic shelters, four sand volleyball courts, a children’s playground complete with a dune climb, and a dune stairway with spectacular views of Lake Michigan.
    Dutch Village Family Theme Park and wooden shoe factory
    US 31 & James Street, 800-285-7177, 616-396-1475, www.dutchvillage.com
    The Holland Museum
    31 W. 10th St. Holland, Michigan 49423
    www.hollandmuseum.org
    888-200-9123 - 616-392-9084
    Tulip Time: Weekdays, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
    Sundays, 12:00 - 5:00 pm
    Veldheer's Tulip Farm, Deklomp Wooden Shoe, Delftware Factory and American Buffalo Herd
    12755 Quincy St. & US 31,616-399-1900,www.veldheer.com
    Holland's Only Tulip Farm! - 3 Attractions...one stop! - The midwest's only working Tulip Farm - The only delftware factory in the U.S.A. - Michigan's newest buffalo attraction - Free Viewing - The midwest's best perennial selection - Free shoe factory tour - Dutch house and barn - 5 million tulips - Over 30 acres of tulips - 125 varieties of tulips - Windmills, canals and bridges - 14,000 square foot gift shop
    Full 2009 Schedule | Tulip Time Festival --> schedule
    Places in HOlland -- http://www.holland.org/index.pl?paID=15
    website - Tulip Time Festival
    Regarding Amish County
    departure to Shipshewana where we will enjoy a 2-hour backroad Amish guided tour. During the tour, acquaint yourself with the Amish culture, craftsmanship, and genuine friendliness. Along the way, we’ll visit a Noodle shop, cheese haus, quilt & craft store and a popcorn plant. All fascinating places to see and learn more about the Amish culture. Later enjoy shopping for antiques and collectibles at the Midwest's largest flea market with over 1,000 vendors!
    attend Tulipalooza, free outdoor music concert
    Veldheer – DeKlomp Tulip Garden—Holland’s only tulip farm and perennial garden.Also visit the DeKlomp Wooden Shoe and Delft Factory while in the area.
    Nelis’ Dutch Village. Take a step back into the Netherlands of over 100 years ago, complete with authentic Dutch architecture, flowering gardens, canals and windmills.

:thumbsupHave Fun

1 person likes this.