1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tryst with Tusker

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by knbg, Dec 21, 2011.

1. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

After reading our dear Sudha Kailas ma'am's fabulous travelogues on her trip to the North-east, I got inspired to share an anecdote at the back drop of North-east.........I was lucky enough to live there for eight lovely years.....

Ten years ago.....:coffee

We were newly married then.....My DH, who works for a bank was posted in Dimapur, Nagaland .....

We traveled from Chennai to Dimapur by train......three days.....
    I can write an interesting snippet on the journey itself........

Once we entered north-east.....
    It was green....green....green...everywhere......with interesting land scape and brooks...,streams.... and rivers.......
    Lush paddy fields.......Tree houses made of bamboo.....exotic flora and fauna...
    I was awe-struck during the journey......:-o

My DH made it more interesting with his facts about the fauna of north-east......
    He had encounters with cheetas ,rhinos and elephants....I was.....:spin

After a few months at Dimapur.....(I shall write about those lovely,interesting days later).....

We planned to visit Picturesque Shillong.....the capital of Meghalaya.....also called as Scotland of India....and we took a bus.....they call it "Night super" there......

My DH told me that if we were lucky, we can see elephants on the journey......

We left Dimapur around 9 PM .....I saw a big bunch of bananas near the driver's seat....and asked my DH about it.......he said, they carry bananas for the elephants.......

The bus started from Dimapur.......We all were dozing....listening to "Ghungat ki aar se"....and..."Aaye ho mere zindhagi pe tum ..."...it was getting colder and colder......wrapped myself with the Thick "Naga Shawl"....I was almost asleep......when the bus slowed down and come to a halt......:spin........

I peeped out from the window.......it was jet-black......and time was around 12:30 AM....Co-passengers in the bus were whispering in nagamese....

I asked my DH what was up......and he silenced me and pointed at the front of the bus.......and I saw....[​IMG]......

A lone Tusker....... standing just a few feet ahead of the bus.....still and with a fixed gaze at the bus......
    The driver gave the bananas.....He smashed them under his feet and continued gazing.......
    We waited and waited......for almost half an hour.....but the tusker would not budge......
    We could hear the peculiar sounds of the jungle night......hooting owls.......howling foxes.....chirping crickets.....:shaking:...
    I was telling a silent prayer to Vigneshwara......

Then.... he started walking slowly.........and we followed him slowly......for nearly another half an hour.......

Suddenly, he turned and walked to the side of the road......our bus was moving.....
    and at one point of time, the bus came to a sudden halt......
    a herd of elephants were crossing the road.......and our tusker was waiting to welcome them.......
    after the herd crossed...., our bus moved......

I turned my head towards the window......and I saw the tusker.....
    Face to face......[​IMG]
    It was just a second long........but, I can still remember the gaze.......
    His huge ears.....swinging to and fro.....
    His magnificent tusks......His enormous head.......swaying from side to side.....and the best part was......
    He was not scary.......I could feel his dignity, composure and grace there on his gazing face.......

I thanked Vigneshwara for the spectacular darshan......

Om Vigneshwaraya namaha.......!!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    13 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

OM Vigneshwara Namaha. Glad to read your snippet first and I also through you took Darshan of Vigneswara. Enjoyed reading about your journey, felt as if I also travelled with you

1 person likes this.
  3. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

Hey Bhargavi... thats great write up da.... you and sudha akka is making me nag prakash now.... for our next visit to some places... i love to see wild life... wanted to goo jeep trucking... lets see... thanks for the virtual view of your travel da...

1 person likes this.
  4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Knbg
    That was a nice write up on tusker so it was waiting for its other friends, until they came, it never allowed you guys to pass by ehh.
    I love to see wild life, so I had been to kenya to see them do visit travel forum and read about those animals in kenya it was a great experience with them just beside your vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

So Ganesha gave his first darshan in the form of a LONELY TUSKER first and DAS AVATAR next.
    How refreshing Bhargavi is your writeup and I am overjoyed reading so many of yours today !!
    I wish you the very best to come up with your experiences in Dimapur (with where you stayed....if I passed that away in my trip) and Shillong and other NE states which we could not do !!

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bhargavi,

Magnificent description of an even more magnificent creature. Have always had a fascination for these animals. There is something so gentle about them (unless provoked). You were indeed fortunate to have had such a wonderful view.

Am really impressed at the human approach that the bus drivers showed - they know better than to mess with nature and are willing to wait if needed. But just wish the elephant too had been a bit more graceful in accepting the bananas and eating them than just trampling on them and wasting them. Am sure the monkeys in the trees watching the scene would not have been too impressed with this behaviour. :-D

3 people like this.
  7. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

wow... lovely description of my dear vinayak... and the nature around.....Great memories to say...enjoyed your writeup bhargs...

1 person likes this.
  8. knbg

Dear Vitamin Viji aunty,
    Happy to get your first feed-back.....
    Thank you very much aunty....

9. knbg

Hi Riya....:)
    Nice to see you here dear....was missing you these days....:)
    Definitely plan for a trip dear....You would enjoy it ......:thumbsup

10. harilakshmi710

harilakshmi710 New IL'ite

Hey,

very well written.keep it up!!! indeed,lord ganesha saved you......:)

1 person likes this.