Trying to relocate to India

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Manaswini08, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are planning to relocate to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> by the summer of 2010 - the latest!! This past summer we even checked out some of the schools in Kochi-Kerala and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangalore</st1:place></st1:City> for our daughters. The only problem we are facing is finding a good position in the Indian career world. We were looking to move to either Kochi-Kerala or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bangalore</st1:place></st1:City>.

My husband is an Engineer and I’m and Insurance Examiner/Auditor – both working for the state. I have a BS degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Management/Economics. Right now I am finishing up my MBA in International Business. I grew up in NY from the age of 2. As for language skills, I’m fluent in both English and Malayalam. I also understand a little Hindi and Tamil.

Can anyone help guide me in finding a reputable firm, sending out resumes, getting me in touch with companies and so on? Is there anyone out there in the same boat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Manaswini

2. Manaswini08

I guess there's no one in the same boat as I ...... lol

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Manaswini,

I don't have any personal experience but have come across this site which looks to be really neat and useful: R2IClubForums - Return to India, made easy !.

For the job search, maybe you can start looking at Indian newspapers websites (Times of India has a job-supplement - it was called Ascent or something like that - I am sure it will be online)

Also check out Monster India - you may also get names of headhunt agencies in Bangalore or Kochi if you search for them.

Sorry these are very generic suggestions but I was just thinking what I would do in your shoes and don't have any experience with this. Good Luck.

4. Manaswini08

thanks Pavarun for the site!

5. Sri09

Sri09 Senior IL'ite

Hi Manaswini,

Even I am planning to go back to India. I came here many years back. Though I came from India I lost contact and touch with Indian friends and environment. I am planning to go this year sometime and take a look and find out the options. Also, I started Googling the information. I found some companies that way. You can do the same.

Sri

6. chla1978

chla1978 New IL'ite

Manaswini,

Did you and your husband look for openings in MNCs who have branch locations in India? :idea

In IT field thats more convenient way to go back to your home town. When you feel like its enough working in US, join an Indian company that has its offshore in your home town in India, work for a year and relocate to your home town in Company's expense. Big Laugh

I have seen many people do that.

7. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Manas,

Have you looked at the option of putting your resume on monster and other job search web sites ?

Is your preference only to apply via referral programs in companies where your friends and acquaintances can forward your resume in their companies ?

Your qualifications sound very good and I am sure you will be very sought after in Indian firms with your US work experience as an asset.