1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

True Indian

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Ammukutty, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILs,
    It has not been long since i have been to US.But in this short span itself i have seen lot of discrimination being a south/north indian.People make friendship & form small groups based on the language they speak& try to isolate those who are fewer in strength.Its always natural that we make friends with those who speak our language & share our culture.But while living outside cant we take it as an opportunity to learn other's culture & undersatnd our India in a better perspective.
    Instead all are trying to divide themselves into punjabi,gujarathi,tamil,telugu etc...they even make mean comments regarding the complexion,language,eating habits and what not:bangcomp: Do we really have to behave like this?If by any chance one happens to go for a party hosted by the other community they are sure to have a bad time.I personally know a group of south indian ladies who were not ready to mingle with other ladies from another south indian state.So the division has gone much deeper ie state wise:idontgetit: Cant we make friends with our fellow Indians?Our nationality is neither North nor South...its INDIAN.These are just my observations..sorry if iam wrong...just thought of sharing my views with you all...

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Hi Ammu,

i feel really bad to know that people are behaving like this that too in other country where they should always cooperate with each other. i got this experience in chennai but not so much that hurt me. i was in malaysia for few months there so many south indians are there i am noth indian but they all welcomed me and accompanied me to temples and helped a lot in shopping i felt as i am in india but in china i dont have any indian in my area.
    God knows when people will understand importance of being a human being.

be happy
    padma

2 people like this.
  3. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Hello Ammu!
    I am sorry about your experience, but here, in this virtual world of Indusladies, it is caste no bar, colour no bar, language no bar,country no bar,gender no bar. All that is required is that we should be willing to share each others views and be good human beings.
    In fact, the members have been organising get-togethers in their cities!It is unfortunate that I am not able to attend the get together this time (in Chennai) because I am not in town at the time.

4. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Hi Padma & Malathy,
    Thanks for your comments.I dint have any bad experience...but have seen a lot of ladies behaving like this...they restrain other ladies from mingling with the other group...and the funny part is they get good support from their husband:bangcomp: It is really a shame.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. But it happens. In this case we experienced that. My daughter says she has seen students in school also behave like that. I came to realise that this kind of attitude starts from an early age.
    I have noticed people saying that "which part of India are they from". this what they say when you see Indians excel in any catergory (from sports---medicine) and make headlines. they don't see them as Indian.
    May this is the reason why we are not able to achieve anything bigger in large scale. The idea of being an Indian must be in everyones mind from an early age. This is called patriotism, right?

Sriniketan