1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tricky Neighborhood !

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Archanaanchan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

We are living in a apartment where there are a lot of Indian families among which 90% work for the same company. So we all know each other. Its been an year since we moved here and i was very excited in the initial days of making many new friends:) I am an extrovert and i can get along with people easily.

A week after we settled our immediate neighbor invited us. I was so excited, full of energy and very glad to meet them. They were a family of two like us. I exchanged my number with her. She invited me after a few days on joining the apartment gym every afternoon for workout. Since i was also looking for a company in gym i agreed .She used to be quite irregular after some days but i did go everyday irrespective of she came or no. I saw a few other ladies there coming for workout in the same slot and exchanged smile.They were in a group and always spoke to each other. I felt like an odd one out . I did not want to either join their discussions because i had no clue about what they spoke. I continued to do my workouts and come back.

After some days while i was doing thread-mill one among in the group was also parallely working on the thread mill alongside, she casually checked my details. She was curious about learning few technical things from me and requested if she could come to my home and i would teach her. I happily said 'yes'. she started to come home right from the next day during my work out hours. I was not wanting to block my work out hours but i thought for a while i could manage. After 2 days she started texting me saying she would come in the time slot she is free and cant stick to the same time everyday. And some days i would sit n prepare my topics and make notes for her and she would not turn up. It was quite annoying , yet i did not show up:)I was just wondering why i was putting in so much effort to teach her while she did not show great interest. Approximately after a month of teaching she suddenly stopped coming home. I used to text her and then she replied that she was keeping busy and getting ready for some other technical classes she was wanting to start in a week. It made me feel quite weird , but i did not take this much to my mind. I gotta hint that she has switched to some other class . I was wondering how could one seek help and not thank? she did not even bother to say a simple 'Thanks' for all the serious effort i had put in in making her learn. She dissapeared in no time.

After some days i started with regular gym and met one more lady. Since we were the only two coming in that time slot for working out, we used to casually speak with each other. I observed that when someone else used to come apart from we two she totally ignored me and spoke only with the rest. This annoyed me totally!!! a few days later a group of ladies started work out sessions in gym in my time slot . I was wanting to make friendship with them. I used to overhear these ladies speak sometimes!! They used to gossip so much and so cheaply that i quit the idea of even going to the gym:)( Gossip about other ladies personal lives like why someone doesnt have children yet, what is the saving someone is doing not going on trips, How much money someone is saving shopping in dollar tree......... all crap)

I was feeling a little strange. Since winter was up i did not see many people coming out of their homes. I could hardly find someone to make friendship. Slowly as summer started i could see a lot of people here and there. Most of the people gathered in the park area. When i went there one day to meet the ladies, i could see a lot of them in groups. a Tamil group, Telugu group , nor-thee group.. and so on. All busy gossiping in their own groups. I was feeling so awkward .These groups never allowed any new person join in,because they were very comfortable in their gossip circles. I could also see my neighbor girl in one of the groups. she did not even mind me while i stood and exchanged a smile.

Is gossiping and hating the only business? why cant we stop talking about others and talk about something useful? Later i got to know that there were lot of fights among ladies because of unnecessary gossiping and not talking to each other for the silliest reasons. And when i hear the reason for the silliest misunderstandings i laugh like crazy. There was a lot of ego issues . The mindset was very narrow.

I realized that staying away from this type of friendship is going to benefit me in bigger terms!! I had never come across such type of issues any time in life. I have had a very good friends circle in school and college . Gossiping is a right of every girl i agree and we only did it in limits. This was a strange experience for me.

This has made me think that being ourselves sometimes is the best option:)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

2. BeingSoulful

BeingSoulful Silver IL'ite

I can relate to each word you put down here.. Like seriously!

Its been about 2 years here & till date I couldn't make a lot of friends (just one or two that I can call friends). I have had similar experience with people in my neighborhood & with acquaintances too. I cannot do the small talk, I am a person with deeper insights on things & most ladies find me strange (in the neighborhood).. lol :fearscream:

I got used to it eventually & learnt to spend my time on things I love, people who are worth my time. My work has helped me a lot, to get over the need to have friends here. I used to put in lot of effort to be a part of the group or be accepted in the surrounding but after a while I understood I just cant do that, for me connections should be natural & not made-up kinds.

So I would just say, ignore the negativity people bring in, try and see the good around you. You will make friends with time, & meet people who will match your wavelength. Keep yourself busy & be productive, relax & have fun. (even if it means having fun alone, you'll learn that art soon:blush:).

Good Luck! :smiley:

3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Wait untill you get a friend who has ur similar wavelength of thinking. That's the only option . keep a basic contact with ur neighbours as it is really required. hope u find great friendship around u

4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

90% work for the same company ! Call me weird but I see a big problem with developing friendships there. I have seen it first hand, friendship and professional life don't mix, specially with Indians. We are used to a hierarchical working system that we refuse to leave back in India. The boss's wife, even if she is a friend is likely to have all the information about work politics, including how much each one makes. All because the boss does not know where to draw the line when it comes to sharing information with his wife. The work place politics can seep into friendships and make things ugly.

Your intentions are fine, but over the years I have realized not to be overly generous with time or efforts, not everyone will value it. Don't expect much gratitude or manners from people and you will be pleasantly surprised once in a while .

It's best to be cordial to everyone but have a few close friendships with people that utilize their life and time efficiently.

5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Girl , these kind of groups exist everywhere. Even when my 5 year old Daughter tries to be friends with some of the older kids (like ages 8-9), they don't want to include her, can you believe it? Maybe because they may think she is small, slows down their play etc. But my point is if there is a new person who may not be viewed to be similar to the ppl in the existing group, in your case, maybe you are smarter, more mature , then the people in the current group may not give any bhaav to the new person..

would this mean there is a problem with the new person or the group 's perception?

You need to just wait for the right company to come along with whom you can have a meaningful friendship & conversations.

Amica, sumzaya, BeingSoulful and 4 others like this.
  6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Btw, I thought you already have your bffs in us?:wink:

7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

We can't accompany her to the gym , can we ;)

Amica, BeingSoulful and Archanaanchan like this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

A food for thought, literally & figuratively, why don't you invite these ladies for lunch & see what happens? I bet each of these will want to be your best friend after that!;)

9. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

Archana!!!

Thoroughly admired the way you portrayed!
    I exactly got through what you are going through!
    And like you have mentioned there is always this "Tamil group" "Telugu group" "hindi group" and most of the times people mingle only when the language matches!

This happens only when there are too many Indians! People will dig which state they belong to, then which part they belong to, which caste they belong too....this keeps going.
    But when one lives in non-indian area, we will be ready even to mingle with a Pakistani or Bangladeshi!!(no offence/enmity intended).
    Thats how we indians do and or thats what I saw (Am not supporting by the way).

But I feel its better to wait and go with the flow. Good friends will come on your way by themselves.
    If we get into such gangs/ gossiping ladies all that we get is we will get a gang to chit chat(90% useless talks), will get company during shopping, may be exchange of few dishes/snacks during festivals. Other than that nothing much. I feel its better to do that with a real friend rather than doing with a group just for name sake. And silly competitions, ego fights, cold wars, many such things are for sure in most cases.

Rather we can find ourselves getting comfortable with being alone...self sufficient....I think you are already doing that.We can do something new that teases out brain and make us grow. Or something that makes us happy...like following a hobby or passion. But again! it doesn't mean that you shouldn't know anyone. You can always maintain a hi bye relationship with few acquaintances for emergency sake. Am sure we Indians will always be ready to help another person in case of emergency. No matter what state/region they belong to. So do have few acquaintances.

Other than that, nothing much happens in being such groups. And if you are destined to get a good friend, she/he will be on your way!

Stay happy! : ) And cheers to the maturity that you gained.

P.S: Above all the language/cultural differences we got a life long friendship with a north Indian family. They chose us for friendship when they had too many north Indian families there. And same here. We chose them in spite of having too many south Indian families. It just happened. Nothing was artificial or forceful. Like always true Friendship and love travels beyond all the differences.

10. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Bingo!! I agree on the insights part:) During office parties, I get to talk to few of these ladies. I find most of them so dumb. I can only either laugh at what they say or just say a hmmm..... But i make sure i dont bore them by my insightful thoughts, i just try to see if i can get to their level n speak. And when i really speak getting to their level i laugh making fun of myself:)( Bhagwan ne kya kya din dikha diye type of expresssions:p).

I have even seen few ladies doing this ' hmmm ' to me just because they don understand what i said!!! Its fun playing this game of talk :p I always at least try to make hi-bye friendship at least with everyone:) I believe mostly i have succeeded . I feel this self sufficient:p

BeingSoulful and Sandycandy like this.