1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling To India With A My Lo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by HappyMama, Feb 28, 2017.

1. HappyMama

HappyMama New IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I am planning to visit my parents with my little one. She is 12 months old and this is her first trip to India. I will be going to Bangalore and from there to my native. we will be travelling after two weeks of her one year vaccinations and also will get her travel related medications. Below are the few items that I am planning to take with me.

1. Diapers (At least for a week) and Wipes.
    2. Formula and baby food (which will be used only when traveling)
    2. Stroller or Car seat.. --> Airlines is allowing only one item to carry. I am confused which one to take. I don't think so we will be using stroller much in India but car seat will be useful. My LO sits comfortably in her seat, she is not used to sit on lap.
    3. Medicines.
    4. Clothes (Onesies).

please provide your provide suggestions on this list. TIA

nuss likes this.

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

Take a lovey or a pacifier or a blanky whichever one your DD is used to.
    Take suncreen for 12 month old-baby genius is a good brand.
    Take some toys/ books to keep her engaged during the flight.
    If you are taking the car seat I think that would be helpful. Don't forget to take the car seat base.
    Hand sanitizer at least for the flight travel.
    There is something called earplane flight ear protection. I haven't used it. But I have heard good reviews about this product. Talk to your pedi about this product. If oked get one. This helps relieve air pressure & reduce noise naturally.
    Bibs
    Resealable plastic bags

momsky and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. HappyMama

HappyMama New IL'ite

thanks a lot blindpup10. I completely forgot about sunscreen lotion, thanks for the input. I will definitely check with my ped about ear protection.

4. HappyMama

HappyMama New IL'ite

I am still confused between stroller and Car seat. I feel it is better to take the Car seat but my husband feels stroller would be useful.

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP- here are my suggestions based on travelling with kids often (atleast 4 separate India trips with one and then two kids).
    1. If you are staying for 4 weeks or less, take diapers for the whole trip. There will be a lot of changes and the last thing you want is a bad diaper rash.
    2. Make sure to take a diaper cream.
    3. We don't use wipes so I always pack 2-3 rolls of paper towels and use wet paper towel (we have always used paper towels for both kids).
    4. We never used formula so don't know anything about it. I carry the squeezable food pouches during travel. It is much easier than the cups/jars. You can even buy a spoon attachment from buy buy baby 9bed, bath and beyond) that screw on top of the squeezable packs and you can squeeze a little in that spoon to feed the baby (mess free).
    5. Take Tylenol, malaria meds etc.
    6. Stroller vs carseat- I would say neither. I have carried both car seat and stroller and didn't find any of these useful in India. You can not take your regular infant carseat on the plane (check with your airlines to amke sure). You will have to get one that is accepted on the plane (We bought Evenflow...it was recommended by the airlines). You will have to buy a separate ticket for the baby to be able to carry both carseat and the stroller (which I highly recommend by the way). Most cars in India don't even have right attachments to secure the carseats (my experience anyway).
    Stroller- Unless you can't live without, I will not carry a stroller. You will hardly use it in India.

I prefer a baby carrier while travelling. An Ergo carrier is perfect for 12-20 month olds. You will have the baby next to you, you can breastfeed on the go if the baby is in the carrier, keep pesky people away from touching the baby (especilaly in native), they sleep very well next to mommy or daddy, and you will have your both hands free.

Have a fun trip!

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Dear OP,
    Is anyone coming with you(dh?). If yes, you can manage easily. Otherwise carrying a 12month baby in airport is not easy. A twelve month baby wont fit into the bassinet they provide. So holding the baby for a long time, going to bathroom, security check, waiting in que for immigration, sleeping, keeping baby in your lab suing travel etc.. A small stroller (umbrella??) may help, but you should check with airline,some of them dont allow you to take it to the aircraft. So you need to give them at the counter.

I think you need to add an extra dress for you (atleast a top) in case you spill something on you. Hope you carry a small flask for hot water to mix formula. You can ask flight attendant or any coffee shops in airport for hot water. If you bF, that is the best and east option.

In India you should be careful about mosquito (dont know where you are going). Carry with you benadryl in case something bite.(https://i5.wal.co/asr/996cbd56-b86e-4740-b49e-335e44ea21d5_1.7bd6013cbbdf300cbb8e520bdb52a53e.jpeg?) also by some mosquito repellent (get it in India too). Once you reach there try to wear long sleeve at least for few days. My son was attacked by mosquitos and developed some allergy kind of reaction, banadryl helped us. Lacto calamine also helps. Still I carry that whenever we go to india along with johnsons first aid box. (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519TEF3ZZWL._SY300_.jpg). Do you use mylicone drops, if so carry that too.

I used a diaper back pack with all the stuff you mentioned along with extra dresses plus swaddling sheets. In US airport they check everything including milk in bottle, medicines (thylanol) if they want to ..Please make sure to check the size of cabin bag, they reduced the size of it. A backpack may work. Try to carry minimum stuff with you if you go alone. Carrying a baby plus bag will be tiresome.

I used a portable Changing Pad & Diaper Kit (eg:https://ll-us-i5.wal.co/asr/0325d47...deb72_1.c3099c68f351cb5647173b42649d7054.jpeg) which I got along with my diaper backpack. I filled the small covers with one or two diapers + wipes, so carrying it +baby to toilet was easy(extra ones were in diaper bag) and I didn't have to worry about the hygiene of the diaper changing stations in airport. Changing diapers in flight toilet may be a problem as it is very small, so the above sheet helped me a lot

Please check the following it is written by a Flight Attendant, I found this very useful. Flying With Children
    TSA
    Traveling with Children
    Travel Tips: Security Screening for Infant-Care Items

I traveled with my 14 month son to India and faced many challenges during the travel. We did ok.I bought extra seat for my son, that helped me. The most challenging one for me was holding my son while waiting in a que for nearly 2hrs for USA immigration. They dont give any preference to mother or babies in USA . In all other airports there is some special privileges for parents with kids.. If you have any questions pl ask
    Wish you a happy trip

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  7. HappyMama

HappyMama New IL'ite

thank you Nuss for the useful tips. I will look into the baby carrier.

8. HappyMama

HappyMama New IL'ite

dDream thank you for wonderful tips. My husband is traveling with me. I have doctor's appointment next week, I will carry all medicines with me. How do I carry the baby formula? I heard that it should be placed in a transparent cover..

9. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I would say take stroller ... Will be useful in immigration lines and also when you are waiting to board plane.

Diapers to last whole trip.

You get single serve ready to drink formula. I found these very useful as emergency supply even if you don't use much. The TSA has a way to test it without opening.

If you want powder take it in check in or unopened cans in carry on.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  10. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Baby Food/snacks and Formula put it in a ziplock bag and once you keep it in the conveyor, they do a regular scan and then the officer asks you to wait and did another scanning of all the items one by one in another machine. This was 2 years back. Now not sure if they have any new rules.

Just to be prepared in case of unexpected flight delays/baggage loss -pack 1 set of baby clothes, 1 pair socks, 2 diapers/wipes, small handy toy/foam letter (helps when changing diaper in a plane to distract them) in a small ziplock and put it in every bag you pack including check-in/carry on backpacks. I made 4-5 ziplocks and just put in every bag.

We also downloaded some videos on our tablet and used it when nothing else worked.