1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling with 5 months old to DC - Things to consider

Discussion in 'Infants' started by uma321, Jun 30, 2014.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,

We're taking a 5 days trip to DC with our 5 months old son. Can you tell me what are the things to carry and things to consider?

- I'm pumping milk every 7 hours. So, we're renting a car
    - We have a rough schedule for each day
    - The hotel room has both microwave and refrigerator
    - I'm going to carry the microwave sterilizer bags to sterilize bottles and pump parts.

Below are some of my questions:
    • How many bottles do I need to carry when we go out each day? (yesterday we went for a one day trip and we used more than 7 bottles in one trip)
    • We're planning to carry, portable changing mat, 3 set of clothes, 6-7 diapers, formula, water, shoe, 6-7 burp clothes, hat, umbrella, stroller, car seat, carrier, bottles, pacifier, covers to throw trash, Tylenol, thermometer, and sanitizer. do i need to carry anything else?
    • It's going to be super hot in July. How to keep him cool? Is Umbrella enough? Do we need to carry a portable mini fan as well? (thinking of buying one)
    • how often do you change baby's diapers while traveling? Some restrooms don't have baby diaper changer. (I'm planning to use Pampers baby dry to keep him in a diaper for longer duration. Is it a good idea?)
    • How would you pump while traveling? I don't think they have mother's room in airports. I heard you have pump in the restroom. But i'm too shy to do that.
    • I pump thrice a day (every 7 -8 hours) and can hold upto 7 hours during day time. Where else can you pump? (It's one of the main reasons we're renting the car. However, I want to list down other options as well)
    • Are there any apps that help us find parking in DC near the attractions?

What are the things we need to consider in flying with the baby? Mine hardly uses pacifier. We give him only when he gets fussy in the car. So i'm wondering what i should do during take off and landing.

Woh! Too many questions.. sorry about that..:hatsoff

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

please see my responses in blue above.

1 person likes this.
  3. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Rakhii! He doesn't breastfeed no matter how many times I try.

We can start using sun screen for babies over 6 months, right? That's what my pead told me.

4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii got it covered. but if you formula feed I would suggest you can take premixed formula (2oz bottles). Easy feed and throw. I do that as its convenient rather than carrying formula box and water.

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Oh ya, you can use! I use Aveeno Baby 60 spf.
    Ya, its the best actually, specially during take-offs and landing.

6. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Chitra,

I'm trying that. The problem is J doesn't like the premixed formula. for example, i've tried it during our travel this weekend and he didn't drink at all. I'm going to keep trying as i know it will keep me sane.

7. Rakhii

How about you mix the formula just as they announce the boarding call Uma? Formula stays good up to an hour or so.

8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Hope it helps! Have fun!

9. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Just the thing I needed. I looked up regulations for carrying liquids but am not clear. How do we carry formula and water? They say 3oz...can we carry as much water as we want for mixing formula on flight? I could ask for water but it won't be boiled would it? I don't think gerber has premixed formula.

10. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Rose: When we travelled with my DD I took premixed formual and normal powder too. After security check in I got bottled water at room temperature so there was no question asked. I never boiled water to mix in formula so not sure how that would work. You can definitely ask for hot water to Air hostess they always have it but you need to bring to room temp.

Gerber does have premixed. You can check it out I remember seeing Target.