1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Travel Woes

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Yellowstone, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Yellowstone

Yellowstone New IL'ite

HI everyone
    I am new to this forum. I hope to find help from you all.
    I stay outside india with my husband and baby.
    We are planning to visit india soon. The problem comes here.
    My inlaws stay in a remote place "X" .
    My parents stay in a city "Y" which is well connected .
    We do not have a direct flight from our place to my inlaws place.
    if we have to go to my inlaws place, either we need to wait at the "y" airport for more than 4 hours or we need to take a cab.
    My inlaws are insisting that we come directly to their place no matter what.My parents are feeling bad that going directly to my inlaws place by staying at the airport or taking cab,specially when we are coming to city "y" and yet not going to their place.
    I personally feel that my baby should not get tired. After a long travel, another cab travel or a wait at the airport doesn't seem to be a viable option for me.
    We had gone to my parents place initially for a day during our last visit and my in laws created a big ruckus.
    So my husband says that this time he doesn't want any issue and do as my inlaws say.
    I am totally in a dilemma.

Sorry for the long post/confusing post. Awaiting for your replies.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

If they are not gona come to the airport to pick you directly, maybe telling them a different date may help. That way you can go to your parents place, rest up n then travel to the village n pretend you are travelling from the airport.

Or you need to come up with sickness excuse, that you or your child isn't well due to the travel n can't travel again right away.

I guess it's kind of a power game they are playing here rather than thinking about any of your comfort. If this is the case, it's highly unlikely that they can be convinced no matter how real your reason maybe. So maybe a lil strategy can help.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    sslkgpaa, omnam, Sunshine04 and 6 others like this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Can your husband travel to inlaws place while you stayback with your parents for a day or two and join him later?

4. Yellowstone

Yellowstone New IL'ite

Thank you .they are not agreeing for that too. They say they want to see my baby first .

5. Yellowstone

Yellowstone New IL'ite

Also they created a big issue when we visited last time as we went to our parents house first

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

So, last time your in laws created a big issue for visiting your parents for a day. That's why your H is scared to make any move this time. Understandable.
    This time, you create similar issue for not visiting your parents, that too after landing in their city. Also, create double fuss for having to wait at the airport for 4 hrs, with a fussy kid. Again, crib for the discomfort of a cab travel for long.
    So, your H will get scared of you. Give him a chance to decide which one is more scary (wife or mom).
    Depending on your behavior, he will decide whom to follow.

On a serious note:
    Tell your husband, it is pointless to wait in an airport for 4 hrs for a connecting flight, when you have an option to rest at your parents' place.
    It is inconvenient for you, and the kid to wait or travel in a cab for so long, after the very long trip from the US.
    Also, tell him that you will have to visit your parents, and spend some quality time with them anyway.
    Either it has to happen now (upon landing) or later (while your return trip) or in between.
    It is easier to make it happen now, than later.

Tell him that he must prioritize his wife and kid first, and their emotions should come first.
    His parents's reactions should not change his decisions, that too if that goes against his own family.

Be firm... Don't ask his permission. Don't let him make solo decisions.

Shreema86, sindmani, NeetaR and 3 others like this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You need to shut this silly behavior down right now unless you want to spend the rest of your life doing this. Husband can go by himself to his parents house first if he wants to. You go to your parents place and let your baby get some rest. Then travel to in-laws. Let them pout if they want to. It is a control issue for them and they will have only as much power as you give them.

8. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

Yeah how can he put his parents' ego over his baby's comfort? These are some of the situations where you shouldn't be afraid to argue and stand up for yourself.Your baby comes first, later inlaws... everytime

9. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi Op,

As suggested by ashneys, no need to inform your In laws your exact arrival date of travel.

Pretend to have Jet-lag and let your in laws and Dh take care of the kid, while you take rest.

sindmani, NeetaR and Sandycandy like this.
  10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, this is my personal experience and if I were you, this is what I would do. Think. Think before you make a decision. I have been in both the situations.

Don’t take “panga” with inlaws if you are not ready and emotionally equipped to handle the drama afterwards. If you think it will be too stressful for you if you go to your inlaws afterwards, then, make the first visit there. Put a fight and go to parents only when you are ready to handle the issues later. And…babies are a lot more stronger than what we give them credit for.

Regardless of how long the flight is, I will take the cab and go to inlaws first. There is really no point in taking the baby home to your parents if you are not staying for longer than 1 week. You will be jet-lagged, the baby will be jet-lagged and you will be even more tired if you want to move a day after you land.
    Edit: and I forgot to mention, when i took my kids as babies, it took them 5 days before their system changed to india time zone. So basically they were sleeping first 5 days when my inlaws were "awake". by the time I was ready to go to my parents place, their time zone changed and my parents got the kids full time. This is the upside of going to inlaws....
    this very same thing happened when I visited my parents first. Kids schedule was totally off first 5 days.

Suck it up and go to inlaws. Baby will be fine. You will be fine. Go “home” whether it is parents or inlaws and stay put for at least a week before planning to travel again.

Alternatively, make it clear to your inlaws that you will go to your parents. Be firm. You are going to face issues with your inlaws when you get there but be prepared for it.

Good luck with the trip. India trips are rarely issue-free.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    omnam, Deborah, sindmani and 2 others like this.