Travails Of A Would-be Father

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Greenbay, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations, @Greenbay! May your twins be happy and healthy. :)

Greenbay likes this.
  2. Ammu2886

Ammu2886 Gold IL'ite

Congratulations to you both @Greenbay :beer-toast1:

You can inform your wife's employer after 6 months :relieved:

Greenbay likes this.
  3. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Wife is inching towards 6 months mark. Her constant refrain these days is she is gaining weight rapidly, so will be unable to shed those pounds post-delivery. Doctor said she might deliver 1-2 weeks early.

My repeated assurances that she will regain her size within 2 years while managing twins aren't helping her much. She has been actually on thin side all these years and her metabolic rate is very good, so she will be fine I say but still she worries. I showed Kareena Kapoor pictures in her first outing immediately after delivery and now in recent film promotions and said it took her ~18 months and she looks actually thinner than before.. She is angry that how I can compare to a celebrity who has ample help to exercise non-stop.

I told 'To loving husbands, their wives are no less than celebrities and their love doesn't vary on wife's size' but she thinks I am being cheesy. How to convince her that I mean it :argue:

Next week she is going to discuss with her seniors on how long she wants to be out. We are shopping for maternity clothes as well.

Baby items we don't want to shop till babies arrive and not knowing the genders either. This month's ultra sound, attendant nurse asked repeatedly are we sure we don't want to know and we said yes, we don't want to know. But wife thinks both may be girls with lot of hair as she gets itching sensation a lot. Is there any truth to that or just an old wives tale?

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Nice to read your updates, GB. All the Best.

Greenbay likes this.
  5. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Nice updates, greenbay.
    These uncertainties and mood swings are all a part of being pregnant, as you very well know..
    It's good that you are being supportive and understanding during this phase.
    Keep posting! :)
    And regarding the itching on your wife's skin please get it checked up by the gynec once..there maybe many reasons for it. (Maybe require a couple of blood or urine tests to verify)

Greenbay likes this.
  6. Mishkaa

Mishkaa Senior IL'ite

I do not believe itching has to do with babies being girl. She should consult doctor

Greenbay likes this.
  7. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Doctor says wife completed 27 weeks and delivery will most probably happen in first week of October. I hope it is Oct 2, so whole of India can celebrate their birthdays :)

This weekend, she informed her parents, I, my sisters. As expected, every one is very excited. It is not first grand child to my in-laws as my BIL in Dubai already has a child(a daughter). It is not first child in my side of the family either as eldest sis has 2 kids (both girls) and next sis has a boy. Having twins is first in the family, so every one is very excited. But MIL and sisters also asked whether it is due to ART fertility treatment/IVF, When we said no, they said they understand if we have reservations in disclosing. I have no shame in admitting to any one that after 2 miscarriages , we had sought some treatments but gave up in the last 12 months, while this pregnancy was conceived naturally. But wife felt their questions, and their tone in 'we understand' reactions were little intrusive. I don't know why we need to be sensitive. There was no medical issue from either of us but pregnancy did not progress beyond 10-14 weeks in the past for reasons medical community could not explain. So it is natural for relatives and friends to assume this happened with medical assistance. I explained this to my wife, but she is still sensitive.

@Mishkaa She consulted doctor about the itching and doctor said when stretching happens some women get frequent itching sensation and there is nothing to worry.Babies have developed lungs is what doctors told and they will make every attempt to save the pregnancy from now on.

8. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

Whoever posted, read this thread: I have not thanked individually but your wishes and your advice (and your likes) are really appreciated. I sincerely feel your collective wishes have allowed us to progress this far this time. So a BIG THANK YOU !! I owe a lot to you.

Thyagarajan, signature and Ammu2886 like this.
  9. signature

signature Bronze IL'ite

All the best to you and your wife.:hearteyes:

Greenbay likes this.
  10. Greenbay

Greenbay Gold IL'ite

31 weeks completed and 9 more weeks to go. I feel very sorry for my wife that this summer, our place is very hot and she had to bear this heat and needs to carry the weight for 9 more weeks. AC could be on but she is sensitive to AC, so she tries to be near fan than AC. I feel guilty that my contribution in bringing them to earth is nil or negligible, so I am trying to cover my guilt by helping as much as I can. I am learning to master to cook the way my wife likes and the dishes she likes. I am also spending more time in cleaning or arranging the bed room, clearing the clutter etc.

My MIL hasn't made up her mind on whether she wants to come now or in the last week of pregnancy. Part of the indecision is due to my wife who tells one day that she want them to come after the babies are 3 months old but next day she wishes her mother was here. I am fully supportive either way.

We have started shortlisting baby items in Amazon. Her university colleagues have planned a baby shower in the third week of August. It is surprise to her but they let me know so I can drive her to the place. I want to plan a 'seemantha' (equivalent to baby shower) too but I don't know whether I should wait till her mother(my MIL) is here. I am gathering information on what all I need to buy by talking to my sisters.