1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Transition

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

First of all congrats for being nominated. You are doing a great job. I had the opportunity to serve my mother, grandmother and father in their last days with whose blessings I am leading a happy life.

Both my father and mother's mother had cancer. My father wanted me only to look after because I was at home and my sister was working. I was 20yrs old at that time. My grandmother said I would not be there for your marriage but my blessings are there. Her blessings only I have a gem of husband and that too from her place. I was married and having two children when my mother died. She did not suffer much. Next year after she died my daughter was born and I think my mother has come back

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vijiakka,

You are very blessed to be with your mother, father and grandmother during their transition. I am sure their blessings will remain always with you. Serving elderly people in times of need is a great blessing and not everyone get an opportunity to do so. Every soul long for love during the transition knowing very well that the body is merely a frame. My father went through a lot of suffering for 11 months despite his clean habits, meditation and yoga, disciplined life, moderation in food, helping tendency, etc. My mother also went through a lot of suffering for 8 years in bed.

We always relate the grace during one life time and there could be so much accumulated good and bad Karma from prior lives about which we have no visibility. I am performing all of these actions to reduce at least a few of my bad karmas having failed to be near my mother during her transition. You have done your duties well.

Viswa

iyerviji likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear All,

Another 3 hours of blissful experience with those who are spending the last few days in this beautiful planet Friday night. 16 occupied bed out of 20. 4 new admissions. 2 died peacefully in their sleep without any medical intervention. 1 patient communicated that she would like to take dinner only after she learns how to withstand her pain. 1 patient forgot her glasses and asked me to read the breakfast, lunch and dinner menu for the next day and requested me to mark the items requested by her. She profusely apologized for not talking with clarity and thanked me for being so patient in listening to her. She was particularly appreciative of me for speaking slowly at a low voice and God knows why it is so soothing for her.

1 patient was admitted at 6:30 p.m. well passed the dinner time. There were some family members who visited her at 7 p.m. The nurse who attended to this patient made a gentle request whether any one of us could make a soup for her as she was hungry. Everyone in the kitchen leaves at 5:30 p.m and the kitchen was empty. I didn't like this patient going hungry all night and she refused when the relatives offered to go out and get some soup for her. I walked up to the second floor kitchen which was locked. I used my badge to open the door and looked around. I found the key to access the store room and to my surprise I found a whole lot of canned soups. I took one can and poured it into Microwavable paper cup and heated it for 1 minute. I found the lid to cover it. To be safe, I took a plastic spoon also if the patient wanted to take it by spoon. When I delivered the soup, both the patient and family members were very happy.

Only unusual event was one of the patient was marked, "run away". As soon as she was informed about her possible discharge that day, she decided to pack things herself and left the premises. Another experienced volunteer reported the matter to the The Hospice Administrator who in turn promised to notify the family. I was wondering whether she walked back home or someone came to pick her up and she left without completing the formalities with respect to discharge. At least the family should know the formalities need to be completed in the Hospice. I need to check with my volunteer coordinator about how to handle such situations in future, if I was alone.

Rihana likes this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

May be the "run away" patient wanted ti be with kith and kin in the last moments. At that point emotions rule than finishing the formalities of the hospice!!!!! When one knows that they are leaving the world would they think of formalities of hospice?????? You are only helping them.... You are a stranger. With family they have lots and lots of memories.
    Syamala

5. Viswamitra

Dear Syamala,

It is the family that needs to be there for her to be discharged on a timely basis. When a patient is in the care center, if anything happens to the patient, it becomes the responsibility of the Hospice. That is why discharge summary is important. No one is holding her against her will. It is a compassionate care center and not a concentration camp. With her terminal illness, if she walks back home, who is responsible if she collapses on the road? Have you thought through all those possibilities, before writing your questions? Please don't think it is an old age home where all terminally ill patients are dumped. It is voluntary for people to determine their needs but when in the care center, they need to comply with basic formalities. The Hospice's goal is to comfort them and not make their life difficult.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  6. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

It is not clear if the 'run away' patient was traced or not and if yes in what condition. How could she manage to 'run away'? What was Hospice staff and security doing? If my understanding of the event is correct Hospice has failed.
    It is obvious that the patient was eager to go home and be with her family. It also proves that no one wants to miss the company of the family in their last days as long as they are in a position to speak and act. It hardly matters what happens to them when they are in their own control.
    There have been cases of Alzheimer patients moving around, not able to remember their name, address or anything. But once with a caregiver like Hospice, it is the responsibility of the organisation. That is what they get donations for. That is what they are paid for.

shyamala1234 likes this.
  7. shyamala1234

Leave out hospice... If I join a hospital i think about my sickness, medicines, pains etc. Not about the administrative problems of the hospital. I am in my senses... I can question the hospital. But in hospice.... They are not sane, terminally ill. No sick person can take proper decisions. Hospice is meant to help them.
    Syamala

8. shyamala1234

Dear Viswamitra,
    These are my personal opinions. Not against you. I respect you for a lot of things.
    Syamala

9. Viswamitra

Why do you think terminally ill patient is not sane? The patient decides to come into the Hospice voluntarily. If they are unable to decide their treatment plan, then, the family decides the treatment plan. In that case, the family stays with the patient 24/7. The Hospice provides the care they wish. If they don't want medical support only needs spiritual support, they customize the treatment accordingly. If the patient wanted to spend time only with the family without any treatment, they wouldn't have agreed to come to the Hospice in the first place. How can the Hospice help someone who runs away?

Rihana likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir,

It is easier to express opinion without being physically there in that situation. The doors are manned until 8 p.m. from 8 a.m. After that no one can come in but people can get out. People with no memories will not be left alone. The Hospice is a voluntary organization operating purely on donations. It doesn't mean they would have geofencing technologies to monitor the moments of the patients. They only track their vital signs.

You are right that once the patient is in the premises, the responsibility is with the Hospice. That is why people in day shift reported that to cops and the family. What happened after that would be known only to the family, cops and the top admin of the Hospice. I had a chance to just read the entry and inquire about it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Rihana likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.