1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Transition

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Viswa Sir

What a beautiful write-up and what an amazing service to render, to help people transition.

The first time I heard the word transition in the context of someone passing on from the living to the dead was when I was following the journey of a terminally ill child. Until then, transitioning always meant a movement to something better then the current to me. May be in the case of someone terminally ill, passing on from the living is indeed a movement to something better. Who knows!!

In all those journeys of those children I followed, several have passed on, and it was always hardest to read of the parents' or the loved one's experiences at the transition, as they sat waiting for the inevitable to happen. My cousin who experienced being at my grandmother's side at her last moments says it was the most difficult and the most beautiful experience, both at the same time. She says the calm she experienced in the moments after she knew my grandmother was gone forever, is inexplicable, before the grief eventually took over.

Viswamitra and Rihana like this.
  2. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Viswa Sir,

You are very kind, loving and most caring person, it is not easy to be a Hospice center volunteer.

Not everyone can do that.

God bless you, Sir.

sweetsmiley and Viswamitra like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the detailed response, Viswa.
    Not to bring controversy to a solemn thread, but I was thinking about the fortunate volunteer situation you have described -- overflowing than the actual need -- and volunteer opportunities in my area. This is often the case with organizations that accept volunteers. They have a long wait-list and in many places they say "not accepting wait-list currently." I have often heard Americans or western people described as selfish, living in bubbles, fierce about privacy, independence etc etc while eastern people are more into family, community, values etc etc. But these very western/American people are the ones who devote hundreds of hours yearly as volunteers. I am going to bookmark this point in my mind -- it is difficult to get called for volunteering in the US, wait-lists are a mile long.

Nice. Commendable.

Viswamitra likes this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I learnt about transition and death rattle on one such child's journey. The parent shared their deepest fears, sorrow and unvarnished thoughts. The girl died of DIPG. Maybe you also followed that journey. I hope the parents have since found a semblance of peace.

5. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    First of all, I admire your spirit of volunteering and that too for patients in transition. It needs lot of dedication and courage. In my snippet 'In Passing' I tried to understand what goes in the mind of the person awaiting death. I think death leaves many questions unanswered. I do not know if the patients in transition are in a position to seek or willing to seek those answers, that is when they are in a position to communicate. Nothing can be said about those who are lying in vegetative state. The care givers, voluntary or otherwise, can only make their life a little bearable but the emotional aspect remains a mystery.
    Then there is the question, would they have been happy in the company of their family members in their last days. In all probability the answer will be yes. But then modern day life has less of emotions and more of practicality of situation. Some people feel happy in old age homes where their children visit them off and on but that is good as long as they are physically in a position to handle their day to day affairs. Once they are bed ridden, the care givers are like emotionless robots. The patients crave for the presence of their children. That is what I think.
    I live in Tennessee, also known as Volunteer State. Volunteers have their own limitations as they cannot be there 24x7. There is the case of a care giver setup facing the problem of turnover paid care givers. The reason being the set up cannot give the market rate of $15 an hour. They don't get part time volunteers also for whatever reasons.
    We come to the basic point. Those who or whose children can afford the services of professional care givers have at least no problem on that count. They can afford to hire full time care givers. They are in a position to attract well meaning volunteers also.
    Nonetheless, more and more Hospice are needed. Life expectancy has gone up, thanks to Medical science. At the same time quality of life in old age has deteriorated, thanks again to Medical Science.
    Please keep this spirit up. God bless you.

Viswamitra and shyamala1234 like this.
  6. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Yup, ditto!! It is where I learned about transition in this context and also about this brutal disease called DIPG. Since then, I have followed many children and hope for each child that they will be the one to pave a way for a cure of this awful disease :-(

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@peartree,

I feel very blessed to get an opportunity to serve those people who are transitioning. You are right. Even in the service for someone, people always say he/she had gone to a better place.

As far as children's transition is concerned, it is the parents and grandparents who get devastated during the suffering of the child and untimely passing away of the child as well. I am unable to guess which one is more painful. It is really tragic for the elders to watch the children die due to terminal illness. The Hospice has an independent wing in only one care center and all the medical professionals, other care givers, social workers, volunteers, etc. are given independent training for handling the situation in this special wing. The goal is to keep the children as happy as possible till the end. They perform dance moves, never utter one word to show sympathy, lot of balloons for celebrations, lot of love and attention, lot of fun during feeding even if it is painful for children to digest, and treat them like friends.

I have watched my father deteriorate from diagnosis of chronic renal failure to dying over a period of 11 months. For two days after diagnosis, he didn't utter one word to anyone and then declared he was ready to go. He became normal and spoke to everyone. 6 months into the disease, he stopped talking with my mom. He held my hands everyday for 15 minutes before going to sleep and asked me to go to sleep in another bed placed in the same room at the other end. For a period of time, he was living as though he was going through his childhood, talked about his mother, father, brother and sister, incoherent words occasionally, unusual surge of energy with a bright face two days before his death, breathing pattern changed for 24 hours before death, on fluids only diet for 30 days and finally gasped a very long breath and stopped breathing. I was 33 years old at that time.

Viswa

8. Viswamitra

@poovai,

It is god given opportunity to serve the people in need and is a great life experience for me. It is hard but the learning experience in this transition service is extraordinary. It teaches something important for me not to sweat on trivial things and love everyone when I can.

Thank you for your kind words and it means a lot to me.

Viswa

9. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

It is true supply of volunteers is more than the demand but there are some special categories of services that is not preferred by many volunteers. For example, Patient & Family Care had 100 volunteers going through training whereas we had only 30 volunteers for transition training. For some strange reason, driving the passenger back home or to the Hospice is not preferred by many volunteers due to them falling or by mistake causing pain to the patient. However, some of the donations/grants are directly proportional to how many are volunteering in an organization. But I do have complaint about the Hospice as well. The place is extraordinarily clean but it also looks like a five star hotel indicating that the donations and grants are spent lavishly.

You are right about more Westerners volunteering than the eastern. They are also regular blood donators. I have observed there are many retirees, many teens but not many mid-age group volunteering. The category of volunteers among retirees are veterans, retirees who are living out of social security more than their savings, low to middle income group volunteers than middle or higher income group volunteers even if they are retired. A lot of who work two jobs are sparing time during their week-off days. Probably 30% of the volunteers are those who had their family in the Hospice before and after seeing the loving service, decided to volunteer for other patients later in their lives.

Viswa

Rihana likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Hari Sir,

Thank you for your kind words, Sir. Transitioning period is the most uncertain period in life where a person realizes that most of what happens is not in their control. It is impossible to predict what runs in the mind of those who are transitioning. Some regret what they fail to do while others feel good about what they could accomplish. Those who feel bad about leaving their loved ones alone in this world, like them to be with them, while others who feel their loved ones are very well settled and could lead a comfortable life without them feel withdrawal from them will make them peaceful. As you know, in the US, aged group prefer to minimize the intervention of life of their next generation as much as possible. They actually request their loved ones to leave them under the Hospice Care once they are diagnosed with terminal illness.

The care plan prepared for each patient is very unique and different based on information gathered primarily from the patient and family members and also from medical professionals, social workers and spiritual counselors. The care plan customize the needs of each patient to the fullest extent and not necessarily thinking prolonging the life with medical intervention as the only option.

The only area where I found staff strength need to be increased is Registered Nurses. They work almost 12 hours a day and their stress level should be very high. Even though medical intervention in most cases is just pain management, the nurses physical availability give comfort to most patients. The adult children who can afford full time care givers on shift can take care of their parents at home itself. It is interesting to note that even very wealthy men and women prefer to be in the Hospice care as more people are available to assist. They also become great donors to the Hospice as well. I used to volunteer until 8 years ago but only for Patient & Family Care and not in the transition group and I found many writing their will in the care center allocating their assets to their children, grandchildren and charities.

Viswa

HariLakhera likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.