1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Transition

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@sokanasanah,

Thank you for educating me that it is okay to wake up and go home. Most of them have no energy to confess. I hope anointing will help them overcome all the sins. I know the Hospice goes as per the wishes of the patient but what would happen if a medical professional advice not to do anointing as it might be an eminent danger to the health of a transitioning patient? I know the Catholic Churches are wealthy but a law suit by a family member could result if the medical professionals were to advice against anointing.

2. Viswamitra

@sokanasanah,

I go back to my childhood when oil bath is mandatory every Saturday ("Sani neeradu" as per Poet Avvaiyar). Only escape route was pretending to be sick (running temperature) in which case my mother used to exempt from having oil bath. I hope the anointing doesn't expedite the departure of the transitioning patents. I promise you the above concern is genuine and I will never ridicule another religion's faith under any circumstances.

Viswa

3. Viswamitra

My email is flooded with a lot of request for transitioning assistance for those in the hospitals, assisted living facilities and at the patient's residences. Unfortunately, most are on working days and hence I couldn't take those opportunities. I have told the Hospice that weekends I can go to help at any time. I am having a trip coming up to India from March 18th and once I return, I can reengage more actively. I am going to miss the Hospice volunteering in the care center starting March 23rd. I spoke to the volunteer coordinator and she told me that she would ask someone to temporarily request someone to take my position and restore me back to work once I return.

Viswa

4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Indeed. A widespread southern Indian tradition.
    Does wonders for the skin Viswa. No need to attempt escapes!
    Oh, I didn't take it that way - I didn't think you were ridiculing beliefs or traditions. What I was trying to say was that the same sacrament could be a healing ritual for someone who recovers and extreme unction for the one who does not. It 'works' either way!

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Hi Sir,
    This is such a beautiful thread and the ones reading it are lucky to have read it.
    You make it sound easy but its a very difficult job to care and assist patients in such delicate terminal situations.
    From the thread i could feel the absorption of the vibes that one would experience while actually volunteering. One has to be ready mentally to make such a commitment of volunteering and is not something that one can just casually walk in on.
    Interestingly,i read somewhere, there is this very good concept of volunteer care bank for such services, wherein people volunteer and put in hours of service, which are accounted for in a 'bank' of sorts and when they need similar care they can claim/debit their hours and other volunteers then care for them.
    Will share it after i search for it again.
    In the Indian context , its a long way to go, for such things to happen in an organised sort of way. There are many kind souls who put in service to others in this country also, but are not recognised.

poovai likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Hi Afresh,

Thank you for your first response here. :) I read your first and recent snippet and what a great way to start writing snippets! I hope you will write more and more.

I am glad you like this snippet. I post after every Saturday service. As you must have figured out they conducted 1.5 days training to teach us a lot about the transitioning patients, how to wear a glove, gown, etc. That audio-visual plus lecture class was very informative. They also conduct several other training programs. They have 1,500 employees and 2,000 volunteers. Yes. It needs commitment and the will to face any situation. There are a few who prefer to serve the pediatric transition which is a lot difficult to handle.

Please do share information about care bank. I think over a period of time that would develop in India as well. Conceptually, the Indians have a kind heart. When I was in India, I used to attend voluntary eye camps regularly and donate blood regularly. My mother in law used to teach the children in the slum area for nearly 27 years and do Narayana Seva for all of those years. Depending on the needs, the service can be customized in each country.

I have visited a few hospitals in India where free medical treatment are given. There are many physicians who don't charge or charge minimum for poor people. Some people provide elder care while others run an orphanage. As you said there are so many kind people in India. @iyerviji's husband provides volunteering service to families who lost their loved ones through Arya Samaj. He performs carrying the body to crematorium and other related service. There is a IL friend of mind who is a Ph.D. in Spirituality performs free meditation classes, provided extraordinary service to terminally ill patients and prisoners to rehabilitate. If more organizations are set up, there will be more people volunteering.

Viswa

iyerviji and Afresh like this.
  7. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Thank you @satchitananda ....still trying , not easy for sure .

satchitananda likes this.
  8. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Viswa Sir,

After reading your weekly updates, it gave me an inspiration to try at our local Residential Hospice Volunteer Program.

Thank you for your weekly updates.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

@poovai,

You are most welcome. You made my day by posting your response here. I learn a lot of lessons from my volunteering:

1) How to handle inevitable situations with open mind
    2) To let go things and accept the reality
    3) The value of relationships we build throughout our lives
    4) Love is more valuable than anything else in the world
    5) Bring a strong sense of selflessness

It is worth trying.

Viswa

poovai likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Census data: 14 patients - 1 death in the last 24 hours - 2 cancer patients discharged from the care center to go home.

After seeing the above census data, I thought it would be an uneventful day. But we can never predict the unpredictable. When I was carefully reviewing the census data to figure out the age and diseases of each patient, 1 patient's data attracted my attention. She was only 41 years old and was suffering from Hepatic failure. I googled it immediately to find out what it was. I was under tension to know what was going to happen to this patient. She was only admitted today. Sharp at 6:30 p.m., a Cathalic Priest showed up at the door telling us that he was there to visit this patient. All the volunteers were heart broken but reluctantly directed him to the relevant room. Finally at 7:15 the patient passed away with all the relatives walking out crying. We ended up consoling them for their loss.

When that Cathalic priest left, he told us, "How the divine will plays". When we were wondering what he was talking about, he opened up telling that he met with a friend of his who was ailing in another room. Soon after he entered the rook and did some prayers for him, his friend passed away as well. Today is the first day, we had two deaths close to each other during our duty time. Mostly, we have experienced the Mortuary van coming and taking someone out but it had happened before our duty.

When we encounter something like this, we realize how precious every moment in our life is. It made me think, I need to shower my love not only to my family but also to all my acquaintance. Let me see how long this thought is carried out into action.

Viswa

satchitananda and poovai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.