1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Transition

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hugs to you caughtinbetween. It is certainly not easy to get over this phase in life.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Vijiakka,

My apologies for missing your response. Thank you and I take it as your blessings.

Each one of us have experienced being there next to someone who was dear to us. I missed being next to my mom at the time of her death too but as I promised her I reached from the US before her cremation last year. Even at the age of 63, I cried for good 10 minutes all alone at 3 a.m. in the morning bidding farewell for her. I lost my father much earlier and I grieved his death for a fairly long period of time.

Your grandmother's wishes have come true. You have a wonderful husband who is a Yogi. Letting the parents go is always hard no matter how old one is. Thanks for visiting this thread.

Viswa

iyerviji likes this.
  3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, I've been following this thread from the start and particularly enjoy your Q&A with Rihana.

I came across this story and thought it might interest you.

4. Viswamitra

@Amica, I am so happy to know that you have been reading the entire thread from the beginning. I reviewed the video what a golden heart a 11 year old girl has! It is a little emotional experience for me to see a young girl doing that making me think what I did at the age of 11. This is what they call selfless loving compassion. Isn't amazing to know the requirements of elders? All of them needed simple things and it is so nice of the girl to fulfill their three wishes.

Note: @Rihana's practical questions were very focused with genuine interest to learn more about transitioning patients and service provided to them. I really enjoy her thoughtful questions.

Viswa

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Rihana and Amica like this.
  5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra Sir,

Even as you bring us the humane ways used in USA for the transitioning people, in India, in most cases the end is not very humane or dignified. Only the lucky few get the dignity they deserve. Perhaps mounting medical bills are to be blamed.

I came across the inhuman ways adopted in TN to eliminate old and ailing elders, what a contrast!

Viswamitra and Rihana like this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I was touched by the story, too. It really doesn't take much to show someone you care.

Rihana's questions as well as your responses are thoughtful and informative. My thanks to both of you.

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If the will has not yet been read, he would likely receive a joyous welcome. : )

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

In the Catholic church, it is one of the seven sacraments. In other churches, there are many variants in doctrine and ritual depending upon the denomination. The "Anointing of the Sick" is a sacrament of healing (it would be OK to wake up and go home!). When the sacrament is conferred upon someone about to die, it is referred to as "Extreme Unction". It then is like the last confession - the anointing signifies God's mercy and the forgiving of earthly sins -

"Through this holy unction and His own most tender mercy may the Lord pardon thee whatever sins or faults thou hast committed [quidquid deliquisti] by sight, by hearing, smell, taste, touch, walking, carnal delectation".

You can read all about it here and here.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

@GeetaKashyap,

I am so sorry to hear that. Even in the US, I am not sure whether everyone will be lucky to have a dignified end of life situation. At least those who come to the Hospice get one. I am happy to be volunteering to do whatever I could.

Viswa

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

@Rihana, The will shouldn't make any difference, in general, as those who are transitioning deserves a dignified exit. However, I understand what you mean. Mostly the consent is denied by the family members for a funny reason. They claim that the transitioning patient never believed in that Catholic tradition. However, if the patient has given consent for that, they still perform anointing. But what the Pastor was complaining about was the absence of family members. They are supposed to be present and pray together for the well-being of the departing soul elsewhere.

Viswa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.