1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Transition

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Saturday, February 9, 2019

Senses data: 3 transitioned in the last 24 hours - 2 new admissions during our shift - All 20 rooms occupied

- Only one patient who got admitted 3 hours before our shift became critical and the nurse called for final transition recitation from the Bible. A father dressed in black coat came in and recited something for less than 10 minutes - I am hoping that the lady patient would transition peacefully after her wish was fulfilled.

- Wife of a husband who passed away in December 2018 came to visit the volunteers - She was very grateful to the volunteers for helping her overcome her grief when she lost her husband - She brought some wonderful ear rings and offered that to the volunteers - Volunteers politely refused accepting gifts and said there were merely performing their duties as volunteers. However, it is so nice of the family member to visit to thank the volunteers.

- An Ambulance staff who brought a patient told her story of how she lost her father 20 years ago in the care center of the Hospice - She said that every time she gets an opportunity to bring a patient to the Hospice, she thinks of her father getting treated in the Hospice - She shared her wonderful experience with the Hospice.

Viswa

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, you might have written this elsewhere and I must have missed it. Who pays for the hospice costs? Patient's insurance? Medi-something covers it? Or is the hospice run by private or govt. funds?

Question, and obviously it is not about your willingness to help him. Just one of those odd questions that comes to mind. Are there guidelines in place that protect such hospice patients who seem to have no next of kin? An unscrupulous volunteer or nurse could befriend them and abuse their trust. Are volunteers allowed to actively create and pursue contact with hospice patients outside of the hospice?

That is so human of you, Viswa. I was comparing that with a friend who moved to Maryland. When we visited the area, they were still new to it. We all took a guided bus tour of tourist spots. At Arlington National Cemetery, visitors were allowed to walk around in some areas to pay respects at the graves, and also could visit JFK's eternal flame. My friend and her 12 year old (U.S. born) chose to sit in the bus. I respected her beliefs but thought what a wasted opportunity. It was a sweltering hot July afternoon, but I am sure something about life, death, eternity and love for country seeped into my children's' minds.

Another random thought - when I go to a hospital, or even regular doctor's office visit, and extrapolating that -- to a place where people are near death, out of old habits and ingrained practices, I take a detailed bath after returning and all the clothes get washed, including jacket. I was thinking if and when I start volunteering like you, I will have a set of clothes to wear to the hospice.

I haven't been posting much here in the past few weeks, but been reading and thinking about all that you write. Such slow imbibing is like children learning values while growing. The values coming in handy later in life. The next 4 years will be very busy for me to find 2-4 hours weekly or even biweekly. But slowly laying the groundwork for such volunteering.

Please continue to share your experiences. I am sure the paucity of Likes or responses won't deter you.

Each time I post in this thread, I go away looking for an alternate to "God/Goddess Bless." : )

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    satchitananda likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Combination of many methods. Those who have Medicare or commercial insurance and covered for their medical costs, the Hospice would charge them. Those who have no insurance, the cost of medicare for them is covered by voluntary donations, government grants, etc. Many patients who were taken care by the Hospice write a will to donate money to the Hospice.

Yes. The guideline indicates that there should be no financial dealing with the patient. Besides, even gifts by the patient can't be received by the volunteer. Strictly, if the patients were to offer anything to the volunteers, they are supposed to tell them to pay directly to the Hospice. In the past, they have taken action against volunteers who have ended up accepting gifts and/or money from the patients. In these interactions, it is always hard for the Hospice to tell patients/volunteers to not go beyond their routine care. They encourage volunteers to interact freely with the patients but subject to no financial dealings with them.

That is up to you. If the infection is the concern, the Hospice protects the volunteers well by asking them to wear a gown and gloves and even trained us how to wear and remove it without touching outside of the gown and glove.

I always enjoy reading your questions and welcome your thoughts. I am glad you are motivated to volunteer. I will keep posting as many times as possible and please read it when you have the time.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

Saturday, February 23, 2019

16 patients - 2 newly admitted (both came in highly sedated with no consciousness) - 4 deaths in the last 24 hours.

Families visiting the patients were extraordinarily nice with us. One aged 88 got admitted due to Lung cancer. There were many family members visiting him. One of his daughters asked me whether we have a copy of "Gone from my sight - The Dying Experience" written by Barbara Karnes (RN). Unfortunately, we didn't have the book handy and I offered to her that I can go and get it. She politely refused.

Today is a Volunteers Lunchon in the morning and I skipped it to be on time for my duty at the Hospice. Despite a lot of work back at home due to the absence of my wife, I still managed to get out for 3 hours to volunteer.

A nurse asked me to watch a patient for 10 minutes and she appeared to be normal. When I politely inquired about what I need to focus my attention on she told me that the patient was suffering from unusual protein in her blood stream choking her from time to time. I never heard of that health condition before.

Other than that, it was a normal day. One question I am trying to find answer. I notice that immigrant families support the patients more than second generation Americans. May be the families feel too separated and don't understand the emotional support needed when a patient is transitioning.

satchitananda and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I was looking at the "Gone from my sight" book in amazon. Looks it is like a pamphlet with 13 pages and the author has also written three more related ones. Just like that I thought - why books when so much is there online.. Maybe, a concise and clear pamphlet is needed at such times when everyone is overwhelmed.

>>> One question I am trying to find answer. I notice that immigrant families support the patients more than second generation Americans.
    Interesting question. I am a little lost with the terminology. You mean, hospice patients who are immigrants get more support from family than patients who are second generation Americans?

6. Viswamitra

It is phamplet looking book with deep insight about death and happenings at the time of eternal departure. It was distributed to us as part of the training.

You are right. I meant the Hospice patients.

satchitananda likes this.
  7. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hello Uncle ,

I have been reading all your Saturday updates and the subsequent discussions about your volunteering experience since the beginning of this thread but somehow could not come around to post here . Its humbling to read about your time spent there and get to know about people in hospice at the last stages of their lives . Such opportunities in life which i vaguely hope to get sometime later in life , seeing you live through it today gives one a perspective of what to expect out of it . Few times where you mentioned about what patients go through in the last days , hours , mins of their lives , there energy levels , their breathing levels , sudden spike in the energy / activity levels feels so close to heart. Its as if all those days when my mother was in hospital plays in front of my eyes .Starting from when my father informed me that she is not recognizing anyone , all her siblings came to meet her and could identify none . When I landed and went to the hospital how she looked at me and smiled . How she would constantly ask for me from her hospital bed to press her legs , hands or bring her something to eat. How she would tell me what she wishes to eat and get her that. Even though doctors didnt permit , she would constantly look at the door waiting for me to bring that food . How she would get irritated when she has to repeat something multiple times to make us understand what she needs . I distinctly remember how she would clearly tell me once that this time she knew she would not make it back to home. How I would lie to her always that no , nothing will happen and that she would come back though i knew the harsh reality. How I would hide from her view often because i could not look at those tiny weak bare bone hands being pricked multiple times to find some blood . How I would often make excuses to come out of that room because i could not see her lying her like that . Though she was unwell for few years then somehow this felt different than the past times . That 48 hours before she passed away . How she recognized one of her brothers who she was most fond of but could not identify her other siblings . How i would tell her to stay strong , that my brother is coming soon to be with her. Those last few hours , when drs literally told us to be waiting in the waiting area just outside her room as time has almost come , bp was dropping , breathing was getting more and more battered and we be prepared for it now . last few mins when they were trying to resuscitate her and she was slowly slipping away . she constantly wanted me to be by her side and was looking at me even though she was on ventilator and had no body control . I could not look into her eyes and was hiding behind those drs and nurses . Could not gather courage to see her breathing her last. The sounds that she would make and that sudden bursts of energy just before the end and even a day or a two before ... all these things later made sense when I read about death rattle and brain surge during a battle of a young girl with terminal sickness some two years back .
    Sorry , got carried away . as her third nears her thoughts and emotions just take over all my heart and mind .
    Not a good feeling i know but sometimes when i see people around spending happy times with there parents visiting from india and how they proudly tell what their moms cooked for them , what they did for them , how they pampered and looked after them a tinge of jealousy flows inside . missed her a lot during and times immediately after baby's birth . miss how she would make sure to call me every day or every other day from india ... still remember that last pongal she made for me three years before her passing away during my previous visit to her . Some times during inlaws stay seeing how they would pamper their son , felt her loss a bit more . these days of the year inadvertently bring back all her thoughts to the fore all the more .

Each visit of you to the hospice every weekend is a memory to hold on to for the rest of the life . Thank you for sharing it in way that i feel as if sitting here I am visiting that place with you every time .

Thank you.

8. Viswamitra

Dear Caughtinbetween,

Thank you for stopping by and I am so happy to hear that you read everyone of my post here. I was also deeply moved by your thoughts about your mother and her last moments. It is always difficult when we loose a parent and I lost my father when I was 33 years old. I grieved for a fairly long period of time and it was difficult for me to let go at that age. He led a very simple life and always helpful to everyone around him. He was a real role model for me. I am so happy to read how attached you were with your mother.

I read a Veterinarian note recently and he said how badly the pets want to spent their last minutes with their respective parents and unfortunately most of them when they decide to put them down, don't want to see them put down. Among humanity people leaving have different emotions and feelings. Some like to hold hands of their kith and kin and believe their departure will feel good if they know their kith and kin are okay about their departure. Others like to detach themselves from their kith and kin so that they can withdraw themselves from the worldly attachments.

The spark in their face when they leave is very unique. They sometime see those who have left earlier accepting them and they could not see what is real and what is unreal.

I really like you being up front about how you feel when other parents cook for their adult children and pamper them. It is natural to feel that way but you being a mother now should give that love to your baby. Please see your mother in the baby and shower your love. I am sure you will begin to feel better and better.

At the age of 64, I am learning so much out of this Hospice experience.

Viswa

9. Viswamitra

Saturday, March 2, 2019

18 patients - 2 new admission - 4 deaths in the last 24 hours - 1 happened at 4:05 p.m. just before we reported at 5 p.m. There were so many family members visiting her until after 6 p.m. They had a brief ceremony in the grieving room. 1 Veteran died after we reported duty. He was covered with a National Flag before he was taken out of the Hospice.

Chaplain was very busy since morning. He attended 3 anointing ceremony in the morning and 2 in the evening. He is a Cathalic Priest and told us when he came to make green dot entry next to the patient that he attends minimum of 23-24 every month. He was working full time in the Hospice earlier and now he is attached to a Church but provides community service for those who need anointing. He said the family consent is necessary to perform such rituals. One young priest was asking a lot of questions to him and the older one was explaining the process.

It is my understanding that applying oil in the head or body is like bidding goodbye to someone by the family. It is done when someone is critically ill provided the patient has given his/her consent to perform such a ritual. I wonder what would happen if that person recovers and go back home?

The one he performed in the evening is for a patient who was 92 years old and he was conscious when he came to perform the ritual. He was complaining about how the family left him alone to perform the ritual when it is necessary to listen to the recitation when he performs anointing. Who can understand the religious practices? Even I recite so many of the Mantras without understanding of what I say. At least in the US, we can ask the priest to explain the purpose of the ritual and they explain it in good English.

No patient duty this week but there were so much of action around us.

Viswa

10. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa

I think you missed replying to my feedback

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.