1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Threat

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, Dec 25, 2010.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I want to write at least one blog today but find it hard going. Today is my first day off from work for the holiday season. I am mostly goofing off playing video games. My children are here and I am doing things with them. I am simply not in the mood. During my time in Chennai, writers would complain that they are not in the mood and producers would send them to Pondicherry for booze. (Chennai was dry then. The whole city probably had less than half a dozen "oyin shops" for permit holders.) I guess this is no longer necessary in Chennai. (By the way, not in the mood for what is expected of one is a real problem. This is different from not having what is expected of one, in one's repertoire. And alcohol is not the answer.)

Here is a brief blog.

My father always worked for a small private company. People with state and central government jobs used to be transferred a lot. Depending on the location, some of the transfers were quite bad for the family, if educational and health care opportunities were poor in the place of transfer. I am sure that this was sometimes used as a threat.

I read somewhere that, in the former Soviet Union, the threat of being transferred to Siberia worked well for bosses. The only people against whom this didn't work at all was those already in Siberia. What were they going to do, send them to Siberia?

2. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

hi sojourner

i will transfer you to the Andamans for this :)

cheers
    suresh