training tricks to a dog

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by umasivasankar, Jun 20, 2014.

1. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

Finally i bought my gsd .he is 3mnth.his name is jack.i'am the first time ownet of a dog.i havent had any dog before.this is my first dog.i would like to train a tricks to him like 'sit',stand,come like dat.kindly give some suggestions,do's n dont,s.

2. umasivasankar

y no replies friends!!!!!!!!nobody has trained ur dogs???????/

3. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Lots of treats and praise will do the trick. GSDs are very smart dogs, they will learn very fast. Try watching some online videos to train him. Never go for a trainer to train him, as far as I have seen, our Indian trainers use negative methods like choking and beating to train him and I personally hate that kind of training!

1 person likes this.
  4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Uma,

Congrats on acquiring your new pup.Do post pics and tell us more about Jack.
    As a first time owner its going to be a great experience bringing Jack up to be an obedient pet doggie.
    Fully agree with Iswarya that getting a trainer is not a good idea.You have to do it yourself .Since he is going to be at home with you it should not be too difficult .You can go online and get loads of info on how to go about it .The basic commands of sit, lie down and shake hands can be taught by giving his favourite treat when ever he follows your command.Patience is what you as the owner need by the tons and of course loads of hugs, pats and praises like Good boy , Clever boy etc., those sounds he will connect to your command and treat at the end of each session will make you accomplish your task and reach your goal.
    Time your training session at the same time and same spot everyday .Dogs will associate the same venue and time with the treat they will get.Get lots of dog biscuits or dentasticks broken up into tiny bits ...we don't want to overfeed him ....so make the treats into tiny portions as you'll need to reward many times.GSD's re very smart and will learn fast.
    We have an 8 yr old Lab Romeo and a 4 yr old Basset Hound Julius.They only know the basic commands .They are perfectly house broken and have a specially assigned area to do their business each time .This they learnt very soon within 2/3 weeks of joining us.
    Hope to hear more about Jack....have fun!

3 people like this.
  5. muthuswathi

muthuswathi Silver IL'ite

Like Paulina explained, you can train the dog by yourself.
    I have seen my neighbor does that.
    And she has achieved it also.

1 person likes this.
  6. iswaryadevi

Let me tell you what happened today. I saw a stray dog today and fed her some dog biscuits and rusk. While she was happily gobbling them, I pointed at her back and told her to sit. And she sat!!! Wow! I felt so happy. I made her to stand and repeated the command, and she sat again. Such a clever girl! Not sure how she got it so quickly. But thats how dogs are, so smart and clever. Even my boy learnt the sit command very quickly. It will be very easy to train him. Just watch youtube videos for basic command training. Best wishes!! Do post his pic. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. umasivasankar

thank u all for the replies.this is jack now he is obeying for the command like come,sit,go ,wait looks great

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  8. iswaryadevi

Such a handsome boy! I loveeeeeeee GSDs! :)

1 person likes this.
  9. umasivasankar

Thank u iswaryadevi.me 2 like gsd's very much

10. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

cute Jack!

1 person likes this.