Traces of protein in urine...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by inlovewithmylyf, Dec 20, 2011.

1. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

At my last appointment with the doc, I got a report saying that traces of protein were found in urine... My doctor or the nurse did not say anything about this... What does this mean?? Should I be worried about this?? What are the measures that I need to take to prevent that from occuring in the urine?? Please help...

2. bukbuk

bukbuk Silver IL'ite

Re: Traces of protein in the urine...

High protein content in urine is a sign of pre-eclampsia. Yours perhaps is within the tolerable limit, that's why doctor didn't think it was important to pay attention.

3. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

High protein content alone is not a sign of pre-eclampsia. If it is combined with High BP, sudden excessive weight gain / severe edema (swelling) of feet, then it is a sign of pre-eclampsia.

One more thing i've read about is that, if we dont eat properly the fat in our body gets burned, which inturn releases some proteins (ketones?) and that will show up on the urine test.

You can check with your doctor what the excess protein means.

4. inlovewithmylyf

Bukbuk and Chandrika, thanks for the replies... I could not ask my doc or nurse when I went for the appt because I got the result only after I came home... I have not gained much weight(just 5lbs), dont have any swelling on the feet or hands and my BP is normal... I just called up my doc to know what it is and she said traces of protein in the urine is normal during pregnancy and it is not ketones... Ketones is different from proteins... Its probably because I am not taking much fluids(which is true)... If the protein content is high, then they will send it for a culture to check if I have any infection... But since its traces, there is no need for that she said... I am quite relieved now... :)

5. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi INLOVE

The protein content is due to less water intake .May be you are limiting watter inatke due to nausea .Increase your fluid levels you should be fine .I have the same issue too .

6. inlovewithmylyf

Hi Lochu, even before pregnancy I drink very less water... Somedays during winter, I survive without drinking a single glass of water a day... And now, because of this nausea and vomitting I take very very less water(just 2-3 glasses/day)... Ur right, I called my doctor today and she told me thats because of less intake of fluids... This is not an issue of concern and she said u will have to increase the intake of water...

7. hemalathaK

hemalathaK Platinum IL'ite

No dear, drinking water is very very important during pregnancy.Otherwise the baby may not get enough water.

You can boil water with omam (Ajwain) and drink it luke warm.don't be careless.

8. inlovewithmylyf

Yeah dear, now I have started drinking water... I wanna drink more but the sight of plain water itself makes me puke... :-( ... Now I have started drinking jeera water... Will try drinking omam water too... I think omam has a good smell right??? May be that will not make me throw up...

I am almost at the end of the second trimester but still have vomitting and nausea... That really makes me sad... :-(

9. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Yes omam water is good .if possible include barley .Get some barley grains and put in water and boil it .Barley water may make puke but its good for making lots of urine .When Had this protein issue thats what helped .What I use to do is take that barley water and add crystal light or lemon juice and make lemodane and drink it .add ice cuubes or freeze it and take it like popsicle .That will help with vomitting too

10. inlovewithmylyf

Lochu, can we find barley grains in the Indian grocery stores??