Tourist ideas/safety in Mumbai?

Discussion in 'Mumbai & Navi Mumbai' started by divadee, Jun 25, 2009.

1. divadee

divadee New IL'ite

Hello all

Am new to the forum today.
    Will be in Mumbai from about July 29th to August 7th, 2009 or so. Staying with friends but they will be at work in the day. Is it safe for me to travel alone and explore the city by myself? Anyone want to make a new friend :)

The last time I went to India was 11 years ago. Also any tips for things to see, places to go, where to eat, any hot spots? Doesn't all have to be touristy.

Thanks for any advice/tips you can give to me! :)

2. blissful

blissful Bronze IL'ite

Yes, Mumbai is very safe in terms of travelling. Public transport is not a problem at all. You can hail taxi / auto-rickshaws on the road anywhere. The taxi / auto-rickshaws go by the meter. All you need is the meter-to-fare tariff chart. These are available on-line at the below addresses and you can print them and keep them with you during your visit.
    Taxi Services in Mumbai, Bombay Taxi Services, Mumbai Taxi Fare Chart, Taxi Helpline, Taxi Telephone Numbers, Mumbai Taxi Metre (for taxis)
    Autorickshaw Services in Mumbai, Three Wheelers Service in Mumbai, Bombay Autorickshaw Services, Mumbai Autorickshaw Fare Chart, Autorickshaw Helpline, Autorickshaw Telephone Numbers, Mumbai Autorickshaw Metre (for auto-rickshaws)

There are air-conditioned cabs / call-a-cab (for which you do not need the meter-to-fair tariff chart) which are very reliable. Travelling at night too is safe. You can also hire a car from a local travel agent. If you know Hindi then it will be very easy for you to go about.

My personal opinion is Mumbai is not very touristy and there are very limited places of international tourist interest in Mumbai. But then that could be because I'm born and brought up in Mumbai and I take these places for granted. The normal tourist places are

In Mumbai
    Gateway Of India
    Marine Drive and Chowpatty Beach (if you are not to finicky, you must try the road-side stalls)
    Malabar Hill
    Mani Bhavan (where Mahatma Gandhi lived during his visits to Mumbai, now a museum)
    Mahalaxmi Temple
    Siddhivinayak Temple
    Haji Ali Shire
    RBI Museum
    Jehangir Art Gallery
    Prince Of Wales Museum
    National Gallery Of Modern Art
    Kanheri Caves and Sanjay Gandhi National Park

Near Mumbai
    Ajanta & Ellora caves (these are closed for some time during the rains, so you will have to check)
    Titwala
    Lonavala (beautiful during the rains)
    Matheran (hill station)

You can hire a car from a travel agent near the place where you stay and they can take you around. Or you can contact MTDC (Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation) at MAHARASHTRA TOURISM, The Official Website of Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation, Govt. of India - Contact_us. They have “Mumbai Darshan” tours.

As for places to eat, there are many in Mumbai. If you can give and idea as to the area where you will be staying it'll be easier to suggest.

The period of your stay is during the monsoons. Mumbai rains can be very heavy. Some areas have heavy water logging. So check with your friends before making plans for the day.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay.

vidyavisu likes this.
  3. divadee

divadee New IL'ite

Thanks so much for the info! I'm staying in Sion West but also have some work in the downtown part of Mumbai to do so will be traveling all over mostly western part of Mumbai. I'm not a picky eater - love all kinds of food - especially good places only locals know about rather than the really pricey 5 star places.

4. Shelvy

Shelvy New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

i am kala from Kuala lumpur, i will be visiting Mumbai fron 6 July to 13 July 2011 with my girl friend. we are looking for local tour agents whom can arrange for 7 night 8 days packages.

thank you in advance.
    cheers
    kala

5. kamdev1

kamdev1 Silver IL'ite

Nice Post, very informative

6. vidyavisu

vidyavisu Silver IL'ite

Dear blissful,
    really informative. i would like to know good hotels for stay (not so expensive) . which place will be ideal to stay for sight seeing? pl. guide.
    Regards
    Vidyavisu

7. pallaviparul

pallaviparul New IL'ite

I think Mumbai is little bit safe for females and according to me women should be so care full here...

8. Coolchap

Coolchap New IL'ite

In India there is no city that is called safe including Mumbai. You are at your own risk.