1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Middle School Education in the US - What to Expect and What to Do
    Dismiss Notice

Touring PA, DC, VA - Need some inputs

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sangea, Dec 7, 2011.

1. sangea

sangea Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I am getting my cousing from west coast for this christmas weekend. The have a plan for 4 days. 1 day we have planned for NYC and for next 2 days to PA, CD, VA. I have some places in mind, not sure whether we will be able to complete all the places and we are on tour on christmas, not sure whether museums and parks will be open, pls share ur thoughts abt the below places, and abt the weather in Dec.
    1. Starting from NJ to Philladelphia
    2. Then to VA beach , Chesapeake, Luray caverns
    3. Washington DC. (Aerospace museum closed on christmas).
    4. Balitomore aquarium and inner harbour.

This a very lengthy plan. Is it possible to accomnodate in 2days. Pls advice scrutinize.

2. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

I would do NYC for 2 days. Reasons:

Personally, thats my favorite city in the world!! (Not that I've toured around a lot), but there is a magic to the city!

Most of the NYC places are open - times square, central park, rockefeller center, brooklyn bridge (yes I have walked one half of it on the 1st of jan with 4 layers of clothing), statue of liberty..
    Also, its got a couple of museums, and empire state building and all that, that you can visit on the 26th..
    Also the food at NYC is awesome... The indo-chinese/authentic south-indian are really good... so its a personal preference...
    Plus, the MET and the broadway show are a must see!!

Didnt like philly a lot, not much to do there except for the liberty bell, so half a day is good...
    DC takes 1 day...

So maybe you can club VA and philly for a day, or drop philly!

3. sangea

sangea Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the reply.
    How about Chesapeake, and VA beach. I ve been to other places before but not to these two and baltimore. And these 2 places are 3 hrs drive from D.C and 6 hrs back to NJ.Heard these places are scenic. Please share ur thoughts.

4. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

I have not been to chesapeake. VA may not be freezing cold like NY, but isnt it cold out there too in winter? How would you do the beach in VA in winter? Somehow, most of the big cities have more or less the same stuff to do, with an added local stuff - like chicago, boston, DC (SFO and NYC are in a diff league). So I dont know how you would find baltimore attractive!

If its a 4 day tour of east coast - I would do NYC, DC and maybe a pit stop at philly for a few hours!

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Chesapeake(VA) have seen somewhere in the site and it seem to be so pretty(google it). It is my long time due. But, when comes to beach, what do u do in the cold water? I remember we went to Boston during spring and that time itself, our feet went on numb and took a while to come out of that feeling. Any caverns, not sure if they are open, again check their site and decide. If they like mint, can give a quick visit there in PA as it will take 30 mts(make sure you go on a weekday) and liberty bell is a must to visit just for the historical importance. In baltimore aquarium, other than dolphin, I dont find anything interesting.

6. sangea

sangea Silver IL'ite

how abt mt Pocono for christmas and D.c on 26 th so tat the museums are open and we head back to NJ the same day.
    so the plan tat i am telling is NJ -> Mt Poccono - > D.C - > N.J
    are these places a gud choice for winter. My cousins are from west coast, so I want to make these 2 days touring as their best East cost experience.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

tough to say coz, all of a sudden, today it is colder than yesterday and before that. depends on individuals, be an adult or kid..dont want to scare but will get exhausted soon coz of the season than in summer. can check with my friends abt mt.pocono and meanwhile, if anyone can answer, very welcome..