1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Too much intrusion is always bad!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by spuppala, Dec 20, 2011.

1. unhappywife

unhappywife Silver IL'ite

Hats off to you Srividhya.. I am glad to see women like you who are bold and strong..

I recently heard one incident and I was shocked. One of my fil's friend's daughter was studying her master degree. She got an alliance and her father said, you can stop your studies and continue only if the boy's family allows you to study. She also accepted,discontinued her education and getting married. She may continue to study/work only if her inlaws approve her to do so. I am really shocked to see such things happening in India..

If every woman starts going to work just like a man and stand against such acts by men, I am sure India would change..

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

SV.I am still trying to understand ..

any parent would have more intimacy with their son's life even after his marriage ..I mean in terms of suggestions,planning etc as we all know the reason.so they feel for their son and suggest him in all directions with intimacy== interfering?

How is the opinion that parents take more liberty in giving advice to their sons be distored to mean that guys parents interfere and should be allowed to?

And how in the gods name is girls parents can give suggestion but should not insult SIL == girls parents suggesting is interpreted as insulting?
    How distorted can things get?

OP is entitled to her opinion ..just as all of us are. . It may not be palatable to others but that doesn't make it wrong.

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Ofcourse every thread has to be reduced to one which bashes up inlaws..even a thread which is talking about a problem where parents interfere in girls life.Can we really not think beyond
    in laws?

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Totally with it...yes OP is entitled to her opinion (however she cannot PREACH what is ok and not ok....and same goes with me too..I CANNOT PREACH as per what suits me)...and as I said earlier.,.,,Intrusion is wrong . period..doesnt matter who does it.

But the way OP was suggesting...if sons parents involve its out of concern and attachment..and if daughters parents involve its out of insulting SNIL....(so who is having distortion int heir ideas????)

Yes I do understand that we have too many threads bashing inlaws and husbands and SILs etc...but you may have seen my posts there also...however I still dont understand OPs perspective when she talks about parents involvement...and how their involvement means differently when it comes to sons/daughters...this is where the total disconnect is...

isntead of saying involvement /intrusion or pushing is wrong..she is saying we observe it soo commonly with sons parents and we have to take it as finally inlaws are our family etc...etc..(REALLY I do get it that you want to promote such threads on equality..but here the point is more on STOP intrusion from girls side...which is well taken..but the undigestable part is the kind of thoughts put forward about the intrusion from sons side....)

1 person likes this.
  5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

BASICALLY our dear OP is suggesting the same thing.........Daughters..pls do not let your parents suggest/talk/involve/say anything about you/your marriage...but pls feel free to run to them when you need them and use them and throw them away in dust bin. because finally daugters aprents are not supposed to INTRUDE doesnt matter how good their intentions are ...as the SNIL will feel insulted.

Sad part is...read this...They feel that they have more rights on his son rather than daughter as she would be given to another family.that doesn't mean that they should not involve if they are not treating her well :)

So do we call these oldfashioned thoughts??? or anything else??? so we run to parents when we have problems at inlaws house or issues in marriage...but we shouldnt let them suggest or take liberty to offer advice!!!! is it what she meant?? I am trying to understand. its really sad to see how we have taken it for granted that parents invole in sons life as daughter goes to someone elses family and parents dont have to really bother about her...!!!!! very sad..sad...thoughts

I am done with posting in this thread....most close minded thoughts. and didnt like the comments about girls/parents over all. yes there is a problem with intrusion but we have to fix it no matter who does it....we should not let it happen and slide by just because its hsubands parents....because smaller things are what leads to bigger things.

1 person likes this.
  6. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

No every problem is not about the in-laws! Here the problem is with a girl, who is Masters educated, and who cant make a decision on her own. The problem is also with the parents, who want to bow down to the boy's parents! A girl's education is a decision she makes on her own, with her parent's guidance, not on the whims and fancies of potential in-laws!

7. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi to all my ILites,

As I said earlier,my views were totally misunderstood.
    Justanothergirl-thanks to you for understanding my point despite of my bad explanation( i think so as i was misunderstood).

Ilites,kindly understand that am not on anybody's side and preaching wrong things here.I have mentioned already that I have touched a point where problems arise due to over intrusion of gal's parents when the things are pretty normal in her married life,Kindly understand me.Sometimes parents misunderstand their daughter's in-laws,SIL and teach her wrong things which may break their married life.Again am clarifying,this doesn't mean that gal's parents wish for their daughter's marriage to break :(

Why is that everyone are very much negative with this thought?I have seen such cases closely.

1.My mom's close friend is there who always teaches her daughter(akka) that she should be away from her in-laws and maintain distant relationship else she may need to take care of them when they fall ill.
    2.Akka is a neatness freak and she doesn't like her things to get misplaced(soft toys etc).so she has locked her bedroom while coming not to let her husband enter in her absence.this was the idea of my aunt to lock the room.Having two bedrooms for a couple is something which I don't want to highlight here but locking her room is really weird.
    3.Her in-laws stay in a village and that's the only reason she says for not visiting them even once.At the time of her marriage, aunt had told my mom that the boy is an engineer from village background and possess so many acres of agricultural land.So the village background made them happy in terms of wealth and acres but not in terms of visiting it even once a year!!Again my aunt was behind this.
    4.Poor guy got fed up with my akka and requested her that they should plan for at least a one day trip to visit his parents.But akka told that she cannot enter into a filthy village and would talk to them on phone.She is a girl from middle class family and as far I as I knew she had been to villages so many times.
    5.My aunt always suggest her to give counters to her husband whenever he rises the issue of visiting his parents in the village.
    6.She always tells akka that she should keep her husband away from parents such that they do not give any ideas/suggestions .But this gal makes sure to visit her parents once in a month and the poor guy being very kind never objects.

She discusses these things with my mom frequently and even suggests me to be adamant with my in-laws else they take control of our lives.But what she doesn't realise is the fire that she is putting in her daughter's married life slowly.Akka's in-laws are pretty ordinary people and don't create any problems .else how will my aunt be so calm :D Only complaint I hear from them is that akka's in-laws always feel bad fro not visiting them which I don't find it wrong.My aunt once suggested my akka to threaten his husband that she would undergo abortion if he forces her to go to the village!!!!!What kind of a suggestion is this?Don't she have a responsiblity of visiting her in laws at least once in six months and that too staying just 300km away ?

There are so many such scenes where my aunt had intruded much into her married life and spoiled her mind.
    Is this not a serious problem?Keeping negative feeling on in-laws and fooling herself by following her mother blindly?One day am sure that the guy looses his patience entirely and I hope akka should change before that.She should understand the importance of marriage and her new family.She should get to know her responsibilities as a daughter in law.My aunt should realise that she is sowing seeds for a unhappy marriage unknowingly.

No wonder,their kid never gets the comfort of getting pampered by his paternal grand parents due to the evil thinking of my aunt.But they do enjoy playing with him.what kind of a equality is this???

My mom is really scared to suggest her friend(my aunt)..Instead she tells this to my uncle.however my aunt doesn't listen to him ..

Am not telling that only guy's parents have rights to suggest or something like that.But we need to understand few scenarios where they are given more liberty to discuss few things than our parents..I can't imagine my husband putting money in my mom's hand to buy gold for my birthday in order to give a surprise for me.He gives that control to his mom only.That quiet natural.I should not take it in a wrong front thinking what is the need for him to involve his mother in this.Similarly my brother may sit and plan with my parents if he wants to buy any gold to his wife for any occasion or any site.It is certainly not wrong taking suggestions from elders.That doesn't mean that the guy's parents are intruding much and the girl is not given importance.The girl should not misunderstand such simple facts and that doesn't mean that her parents are ignored and shouldn't give any suggestions.There are few things which are natural and not to be misunderstood.I know we are grown ups but whats wrong in seeking guidance.If my husband discusses any problem with his parents I will also discuss it with my parents and pass on any suggestions given by them.Instead I will not create mess thinking that my husband didn't discuss anything with my parents which he actually didn't mean. Also the gal's parents should not misunderstand this and feed their daughter narrow thoughts which may cause ripples in her married life,This is only an example.

And to others who coined me as an enemy to WOMEN-am really sorry for not making you understand my point and feel sad for being called like this.

8. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Both of them are your posts, and thats where I see a double standard! And thats my point.

Anyways, I'm off this thread!

1 person likes this.
  9. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Dear SP,

I think it is well established on this thread that BOTH sets of parents should back off and not intrude or impose themselves on a couple. But I do have a problem when you repeatedly suggest that it is a "natural phenomenon" for the boy's family to play a more active part than the girl's. My take is that the only ACTIVE participants, when it comes to life decisions, should be the husband and the wife. The guy's family does not have a "default" right to meddle. For example, you mentioned the guy giving money to his mom or consulting with his mom regarding buying jewelry for his wife or purchasing property...I definitely find that weird. I would expect my DH to buy jewelry for me (and not give money to his mom or my mom to do it!) or to consult with me first about any major financial decision. While I definitely don't see you as an enemy to women (lol!), I do think you must decide which way to sway! Somehow your posts seem to be contradictory, that's all.

Anyways, I think this horse is long dead and there's no point beating it to a pulp! :) so will leave it at that.

2 people like this.
  10. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,

Am sorry for not making you to understand my views clearly.I have repeatedly clarified that both sets of parents are equal and only trying to convey that to adjust on few things which are natural instead of making life hell exaggerating the issue.Am not recommending any set of parents to intrude into coupl'es life.

Cj1980,regarding buying gold I had mentioned that as an example but at the end see that I have mentioned to give a surprise to his wife.I meant that he may take help of his mom in giving a surprise to his wife and that should not be misunderstood.