1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Too much intrusion is always bad!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by spuppala, Dec 20, 2011.

1. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi there,

Many of us are our mom's/dad's pets since the time we were born.But after marriage life is very different and there are situations where we need to judge different people in our families.We will be connected to more people after marriage other than our parents and sometimes our parents may not guide us in the right way which could be due to immense love on us.They would not be able to understand the other side of the coin and always think about our safety.This is happening more with the gal's parents am seeing a lot these days.They love their daughters very much and no one can comment on it.But sometimes they go very mean and don't even think about their son-in-law situation.They always try to command their daughter's married life be it in personal matters or monetary issues.Even the gal don't understand the intimacy that she should have with his husband/in-laws.she blindly follows whatever her parents say as she had been grown up by them.

But after marriage,a gal should try to mould herself into a complete woman rather than being a loving daughter still.she need to understand that the boy's parents are also equally important and she needs to feel them as her people.She should gently tell her parents not to involve much in their life apart from the general guidelines.For example,I know of my uncle who always bother about their son-in-law not buying any house even after 3 years of marriage.But that guy is a manager in bank and have a solid idea of financial matters.So it is his wish to decide on when to buy a house etc.But my uncle always point it directly or indirectly in family discussions and to y utter dismay the gal don't even dare to restrict her father's words which mean to insult her husband.She might have a strong bond with her father as everyone do but she should be able to control the situations when going wrong.

A gal is to play a key role in balancing the relationship with both the families.She should have that feeling of belongingness in the boy's family too and try to control her parents when they try to overdo (out of immense love for her )If her parents are illiterates then it is her responsibility to tell them not to involve much and insult her inlaw family.Also I know of cases where the gal's parents only concern about their gal and don't even think a while for their son-in-law.Best example for this is keeping their daughter with them for a long time with bound of love.They don't care for how many problems their son-in-law is facing without his wife..the gal also keeps herself calm due to respect towards her parents.Such situations demands an active role of the gal to get them solved.

Overall,I feel that it is the gal who need to be proactive in explaining things to her parents and should control them not to involve too much in her married life.It really hurts the boy and their family a lot though they may not express it.This is really very sensitive no gal can imagine her husband/family to get insulted.But there are such gals whom I have seen but no proper guidance for them.I hope this post helps at least such few people to realise things and think in a right direction.

What do you say friends?

6 people like this.

2. shruthisp

shruthisp Gold IL'ite

How about the otherway.. What will we say,If the guy's parents deciding where the couple has to go out when to go out and what time to come back? Where the couple have to make investment?..
    There are so many posts in our IL itself where Guy's parents taking care of all investments/finance when both the couple are working and living in abroad..
    Intrusion from anyone be it Guy's parents or Girl's parents or anyone(SIL,BIL,relatives,friends etc) from that matter in between couple is disastrous.
    Till a Man remains "Momma's Boy" or the wife remains "Daddy's Girl" in married life, the more issues/complications will be there in their life...
    World will be better place if everyone mind their business without poking their nose into others..

6 people like this.
  3. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi Shruthi,

I strongly agree with you as intrusion is always bad in any ways be it the boy's parent's side or that of the gal's side..But I would say one thing..any parent would have more intimacy with their son's life even after his marriage ..I mean in terms of suggestions,planning etc as we all know the reason.so they feel for their son and suggest him in all directions with intimacy.But as you said it is not recommended to a high extent if it is hurting the relation between the wife and husband .But where as the same parent cannot take control on another family where a boy(their SIL) is the head.He can give suggestions but he should not insult them for not following his suggestions.As for me,I don't mind my father suggesting my DH but I do take care not to let my father to pressurise much to buy any property.There I will play a perfect wife role in interpreting things and explain my dad that his pressure may hurt the feelings of my husband.

The key lies in the transitioning our roles according to the situations.
    elders enjoy much in involving their son's life rather than their daughter's life esp after marriage.It is quiet natural and we should respect that feeling.They feel that they have more rights on his son rather than daughter as she would be given to another family.that doesn't mean that they should not involve if they are not treating her well :)

As you said,too much intrusion from the guy's parent side is also very harmful and can cause serious problems to marries life.But a gal should understand that her in laws are part of her family along with her husband.they can suggest and take active part in their son's life only and not their daughter's life.But I agree there are exceptions where they intrude much into a couple's personal matters which you have mentioned.

Your last line really makes sense and convey the complete meaning..

3 people like this.
  4. deepa10

deepa10 Gold IL'ite

I agree with you, Also whatever shruthisp has said! :)
    Be it a girl/boy when they get married, they should understand its their family and have the sense to treat people accordingly. Many mothers (be it girls mother/boys mother) feels that their son/daughter are not secure in their marriage and they constantly question them to know everything. Rather they should give them their own space and let them live their life. They can always be a support at their back and can advise them occasionally.
    Same way, guys/girls can take advise from both of their parents before taking a major step in their life and make sure they take a wise decision. Still many parents in INDIA are not ready to let their hold off their son/daughters. Hope at least this kind of attitude change in the upcoming generations, and by this way people have a healthier relationship among families.

1 person likes this.
  5. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Welcome to IL Deepa10,

Kudos to you for understanding life in a better way,,You have very well narrated the part of each and every relation for a successful marriage.

6. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

I completely agree spuppala!
    If at all something in your post could be changed, it is that.. this applies to both the guy and the girl.

For a happy relationship, the husband and wife should be part of the innermost circle. Parents can form the next circle, but there needs to be a thin line of distance between the two. Just as the girl needs to be polite but firm in asking her parents not to interfere too much in her married life, the guy needs to do the same.

This will pave the way for a very understanding relationship between the husband and wife.

2 people like this.
  7. deepa10

deepa10 Gold IL'ite

Thanks so much spuppala! IL gives a lot of experience to newly married ppl like me. We are very lucky to understand the do/donts of marriage without experimenting! Every post here is a learning to learn/avoid things in life. Kudos to IL and its members! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

While I definitely agree that parents should maintain a distance and let their children make decisions on their own, I strongly disagree that the boys' parents have a "natural" (and therefore justified) right to be more involved than the girl's side. I find all this talk about the girl's family "being prepared to be separated from daughter after marriage" to be unfair and archaic. To every guy who says that, all I can say is "Wait until you have a daughter who is the apple of your eye"! :)

I believe that marriage involves three people, the man, the woman, and God - yes, it does bring families together but they are not the first priority in a marriage relationship. It is up to the husband and the wife to BOTH balance relationships and involve elders while at the same time ensuring that they are the primary decision-makers. I have seen many marriages destroyed and ending in divorce because the guy and his parents failed to recognize boundaries and a handful of others that broke up because the girl and her parents wanted to gain control over the guy. So, it cuts both ways. At the end of the day, if the husband and wife are in good agreement with each other and give each other top priority, marriages have a better chance of surviving with good relationships with extended family members.

6 people like this.
  9. rissy

rissy Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,

Nice thread, your points are right but for the above you have written, I believe that the clap is made with two hands. Yes a gal should try to mould herself into a complete woman rather than being a loving daughter but at the same time its a duty of a guy that he should mould himself as a strong, responsible and independent man who puts his immediate family first rather than being mama/papa's boy and don't get influenced by others in his decisions and should not have a raw ears ofcourse. I don't say he should cut off his family but he should realise that his own family comes first. He should be supportive of his wife in any situation and stand by her when shes picked on by others no matter they are his own family. Yes agreed that a gal need to understand that the boy's parents are also equally important and she needs to feel them as her people but at the same time inlaws should treat her right.

Now think if the gal is doing whatever she could for happy married life but if husband and inlaws are not being nice and supportive to her, then naturally she will feel insecured be inclined more to her own family for support and security even if they are not perfect. Because she will probably find more security to get love and support of her own folks (though imperfect) rather than putting up with imperfect inlaws.

2 people like this.
  10. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Hi to all who have responded here..

I respect your opinions..Whatever you told is universally true..Both the guy and gal should be able to balance their lives independently without letting others to enter into their married life..

Inlaws creating problems to gals-I have seen and read lot of these cases in this forum and their solutions too were given by so many experienced ILs.But one point that was untouched is the transition of gal from a daughter to a wife and a DIL.That is the reason I have stressed this point more in my post.Be it gal's father or the boy's parents,no one should be tolerated if they intrude much .But what I am trying to tell is-there are few things by nature which we cannot change.Still I feel that any parent will feel free to involve in his son's life in terms of suggesting,planning ,improving their finances etc (not into personal issues) than that of a daughter.As i said before this is the natural phenomenon and doesn't mean that gal's parent should not involve.

From my study,I felt that being a good wife/DIL will solve so many problems than by being a good daughter.It doesn't mean that the girl shouldn't care her parents.But she should control her parents when they hurt her family(husband and in-laws).This is the case where things are pretty normal on boy's side and the gal's parents are not satisfied thinking that their daughter is not happy.

I have touched this issue as the other sides of the coin are always being discussed anyhow..